Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I won't complain and moan too much because at the end of the day if Bristol don't want me, I don't want them.

Bit of a predicament however, they were my lowest offer of BBB -BBC for French (and the university i really wanted to go to funnily enough), whereas my predicted grades are A*AA. I got some long winded e-mail basically explaining what they do when they get applications ("we take into consideration the predicted grades.. huurr durrr.. your personal statement.. uhhhh.. etc. etc.) but I simply can't see where I've gone wrong. GAH. And I have no back-up now.

Do I contact them and get feedback in case everywhere else decides to reject me? I've received an offer from Exeter but don't want to go there.

tl;dr, rejected from lowest offer. what to do?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    That probably is all the feedback you'll get. And it doesn't really matter that they're your lowest choice (they aren't your lowest offer as you don't have an offer!) as different places look for different things.

You need to wait and see what offers you receive, and then decide if you want to accept them, see if this course is in Clearing (risky, and unlikely with Bristol), try Extra/Clearing for somewhere else, or take a gap year and reapply.

ReputationRep:
    I obviously meant choice*..

ReputationRep:
    you could have got rejected because youre overqualified tbh, your predicted grades are a lot higher so they probably felt it was a waste of time offering you a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    you could have got rejected because youre overqualified tbh, your predicted grades are a lot higher so they probably felt it was a waste of time offering you a place.
    Right, so instead of rewarding outstanding grades, they have punished her? Very doubtful.

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened to some girl from school last year.

She got rejected from Leicester and Sheffield for law, but got offers from Oxford, Durham and Warwick.

1 rejection means just that: 1. Wait for the rest of your decisions and panicking won't help. :p: Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    bad luck. you could try phoning them up and asking for feedback but i don't know whether they would give you any. you could try though!

ReputationRep:
    The same happened to me - I'm also applying for French (with Russian) and got rejected for Edinburgh, who were my lowest choice in terms of the typical offer and league table rating.

Did Bristol not give you a reason for your rejection then? If not feel free to contact them if you're curious/feel it was unfair. At least you've still got your other choices, and Exeter's lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cje10)
    Right, so instead of rewarding outstanding grades, they have punished her? Very doubtful.
    It's confusing. Maybe I should stop reading into it, but I did want to go there rather badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __poppy)
    It's confusing. Maybe I should stop reading into it, but I did want to go there rather badly.
    These things happen. Asking them wont do much, it wont make them change their mind and you cant do much with what they tell you.

ReputationRep:
    Theres no harm in emailing them to ask why they didnt offer you.
    I know it sounds bizarre but some places really do reject you if they think you'll pick somewhere else over them, so they could well have thought your predicted grades were too high for you to genuinley want to go there

sorry to hear they were your favourite though =( where else have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You need to wait and see what offers you receive, and then decide if you want to accept them, see if this course is in Clearing (risky, and unlikely with Bristol), try Extra/Clearing for somewhere else, or take a gap year and reapply.
    In previous years Bristol have had less popular languages such as Russian in clearing, but I'd say the chances of French being in there are pretty much none.

ReputationRep:
    my friend got rejected from UEA and the grades were really low compared to what she was predicted. they said that she did too many science subjects when she was applying for english, (and not enough art subjects) despite her getting full marks in her english AS.

She then got an offer from Cambridge... so it does show you.

maybe you weren't meant to go there, you'll have a better time elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    It's such a competitive and well-respected uni to get into that many of the applicants will far exceed the entry requirements and as such they can pick and choose. It's possible that many others have similar or better grades and applied there as a 'safe' option in case they dropped grades.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I won't complain and moan too much because at the end of the day if Bristol don't want me, I don't want them.

Bit of a predicament however, they were my lowest offer of BBB -BBC for French (and the university i really wanted to go to funnily enough), whereas my predicted grades are A*AA. I got some long winded e-mail basically explaining what they do when they get applications ("we take into consideration the predicted grades.. huurr durrr.. your personal statement.. uhhhh.. etc. etc.) but I simply can't see where I've gone wrong. GAH. And I have no back-up now.

Do I contact them and get feedback in case everywhere else decides to reject me? I've received an offer from Exeter but don't want to go there.

I have to ask why you bothered to apply to Exeter if you don't want to go there? I would be happy with any of mine. Applying to somewhere you don't want to go is cerazzzyyyy.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol are a bit hit and miss, fyi, so don't fret too much. I'm sure with those grades you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:

Bristol are *****ess sometimes. I was rejected from Bristol, but got an offer from Exeter and went there (for Politics, not French lol).
    Now I always new that I would have chose Exeter over Bristol anyday anyway.

Can I just ask, why are you so against Exeter.
    I personally love the campus so much more than Bristol, and my general experience has been wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    really don't worry! I know someone who applied to Cambridge and Brighton (which was a polytechnic and not good!!). OBVOUSLY Brighton was her backup, but they rejected her, and now she's at Cambridge. Maybe it's just the degree you've applied for.

I also know that many universities won't accept people if they think they are too good; they wouldn't want to waste one of their offers on someone who is MORE THAN LIKELY going to get into another university and therefore wouldn't chose their uni. For example, a friend of mine got rejected from Sheffield but accepted to Edinburgh, Durham and Warwick - Sheffield asked for BBB and the other three asked for AAA. She was on AA*A*. Seriously, if you were the Sheffield admissions officer, you wouldn't waste on of your offers to someone you know wouldn't go to your uni.

Like I said, don't worry!!! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    The same happened to me - I'm also applying for French (with Russian) and got rejected for Edinburgh, who were my lowest choice in terms of the typical offer and league table rating.

Did Bristol not give you a reason for your rejection then? If not feel free to contact them if you're curious/feel it was unfair. At least you've still got your other choices, and Exeter's lovely
    When I got the rejection via UCAS I got an generic e-mail a few days later that Bristol obviously send to everyone they've rejected, had no individual reasons for the rejection. I think Exeter is too far away for me personally, and the accomodation is criminally overpriced.

Ah well, if all else fails I'll just run off with a French man..!

ReputationRep:
    Guys the original Poster applied to Edinburgh? LOL they are incredibly competitive and usually only give out AAA to a small number of people...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.