Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supfresh.)
    Guys the original Poster applied to Edinburgh? LOL they are incredibly competitive and usually only give out AAA to a small number of people...
    No I think, sir, you will find that was xmarilynx.. I haven't applied to Edinburgh..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __poppy)
    Ok, I won't complain and moan too much because at the end of the day if Bristol don't want me, I don't want them.

Bit of a predicament however, they were my lowest offer of BBB -BBC for French (and the university i really wanted to go to funnily enough), whereas my predicted grades are A*AA. I got some long winded e-mail basically explaining what they do when they get applications ("we take into consideration the predicted grades.. huurr durrr.. your personal statement.. uhhhh.. etc. etc.) but I simply can't see where I've gone wrong. GAH. And I have no back-up now.

Do I contact them and get feedback in case everywhere else decides to reject me? I've received an offer from Exeter but don't want to go there.

tl;dr, rejected from lowest offer. what to do?

don't worry. I was rejected from bristol when the grades they were asking were ABB - BBC (this was for german and music). I got four As in my AS levels and was predicted four As at A2 (this was before the days of A*!). I also had eight A*s, two As and a B at GCSE.
    bristol is just weird - what can I say?! I got all my other offers (ABB - BBC) and got four As in the end... so it was their loss :P don't worry about it. their admissions system is seriously screwed up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellenfaith)
    really don't worry! I know someone who applied to Cambridge and Brighton (which was a polytechnic and not good!!). OBVOUSLY Brighton was her backup, but they rejected her, and now she's at Cambridge. Maybe it's just the degree you've applied for.

I also know that many universities won't accept people if they think they are too good; they wouldn't want to waste one of their offers on someone who is MORE THAN LIKELY going to get into another university and therefore wouldn't chose their uni. For example, a friend of mine got rejected from Sheffield but accepted to Edinburgh, Durham and Warwick - Sheffield asked for BBB and the other three asked for AAA. She was on AA*A*. Seriously, if you were the Sheffield admissions officer, you wouldn't waste on of your offers to someone you know wouldn't go to your uni.

Like I said, don't worry!!! :yep:
    Low offers don't automatically mean the university is crap and no one with good grades would want to go there. Sheffield are a top 20 uni with an excellent reputation for languages: I'm sure there are plenty of AAA or similar students there.

Equally, Bristol is top 10 and also has a great languages department, so just because someone is predicted to achieve higher than the requirements doesn't mean the uni would think that the student wouldn't want to go there and reject them on this basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosamund123)
    don't worry. I was rejected from bristol when the grades they were asking were ABB - BBC (this was for german and music). I got four As in my AS levels and was predicted four As at A2 (this was before the days of A*!). I also had eight A*s, two As and a B at GCSE.
    bristol is just weird - what can I say?! I got all my other offers (ABB - BBC) and got four As in the end... so it was their loss :P don't worry about it. their admissions system is seriously screwed up!
    Bearing in mind my grades are nowhere near that good and I have an offer, I have to say their admissions system (not that I'm complaining ) is incredibly weird.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I won't complain and moan too much because at the end of the day if Bristol don't want me, I don't want them.

Bit of a predicament however, they were my lowest offer of BBB -BBC for French (and the university i really wanted to go to funnily enough), whereas my predicted grades are A*AA. I got some long winded e-mail basically explaining what they do when they get applications ("we take into consideration the predicted grades.. huurr durrr.. your personal statement.. uhhhh.. etc. etc.) but I simply can't see where I've gone wrong. GAH. And I have no back-up now.

Do I contact them and get feedback in case everywhere else decides to reject me? I've received an offer from Exeter but don't want to go there.

tl;dr, rejected from lowest offer. what to do?

You applied to a BBB course at a top uni, that happens to receive the most applicants per place and put it down as your insurance.

Result? People with AAA etc are confident they'll get in there as it is basically the perfect insurance because it's has low entry requirements and is a good Uni, good social side etc. It's a small course so the 28 that get accepted out of the 294 people that apply, will probably have very good grades tbh.

Exeter is good too though, but bristol nightlife is gooood from what I've heard from friends. You may end up having a better time elsewhere course-wise and social-wise!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkmonkey3)
    my friend got rejected from UEA and the grades were really low compared to what she was predicted. they said that she did too many science subjects when she was applying for english, (and not enough art subjects) despite her getting full marks in her english AS.

She then got an offer from Cambridge... so it does show you.

maybe you weren't meant to go there, you'll have a better time elsewhere.

thats odd. i applied for international development with environment at UAE with a high doubt that they would accept. On the profile entry for the course it said A-level in science subjects only for entry. I am doing a B-TEC in Travel and Tourism (unfortunatley) and they gave me a conditional offer of DDM (equivalent to AAC at A-level). it was a shock then i thaught they musnt be too strict on entry requiremnts for qualifications :/

OP, it just means you have to work little harder - the most important thing is to have an offer and to work hard towards it.
    So even if you had 3A* offer, you'd just need to work extremely hard - wait till you get replies from other unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yafula)
    thats odd. i applied for international development with environment at UAE with a high doubt that they would accept. On the profile entry for the course it said A-level in science subjects only for entry. I am doing a B-TEC in Travel and Tourism (unfortunatley) and they gave me a conditional offer of DDM (equivalent to AAC at A-level). it was a shock then i thaught they musnt be too strict on entry requiremnts for qualifications :/
    that is strange.
    Maybe they thought she wouldn't have chosen them anyways.. even though they're not allowed to do that. Or her science subjects indicated she didn't really have the heart for English...
    prob depends on the number of people applying and how popular the course is too... good luck

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was rejected for Politics and Russian with a predicted 41 in the IB while their requirements are only 34 points. They were also my lowest offer.... *****HZ lol. Good luck with your other offers, the earlier posts about you being overqualified could be very true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cje10)
    Right, so instead of rewarding outstanding grades, they have punished her? Very doubtful.
    My friend had 13 A*s at gcse, predicted 4 A*s at A2 and manchester rejected him for AAB-ABB course. So it is a live possibility that she is overqualified.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest OP, there really is no science to it - if the university decides it particularly likes you as a candidate, that can override some of the academic information, and vice versa. Just because you meet the requirements, does not mean they have to take you, or are even likely to (depending on competitiveness of course) - it just narrows down the pool of candidates the university can choose from. That's ultimately it - if they have 30 or so equal applicants to one place, they then use their judgement to choose which ones they'd like, and then hand out the offers. Don't take it personally!

I got a very low offer from a very good university with, being honest, awful AS grades. I got interviewed and wrote quite a good personal statement, so I've concluded that must have made the difference, as on paper academically I wasn't of the right standard. Chin up, and just start looking into your other universities and being optimistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Low offers don't automatically mean the university is crap and no one with good grades would want to go there. Sheffield are a top 20 uni with an excellent reputation for languages: I'm sure there are plenty of AAA or similar students there.

Equally, Bristol is top 10 and also has a great languages department, so just because someone is predicted to achieve higher than the requirements doesn't mean the uni would think that the student wouldn't want to go there and reject them on this basis.
    I know, but say you could only give offers to 100 people, 30 of which would accept. Would you really waste one on someone who you knew had the grades to get into Oxbridge or St Andrews or UCL?

I'm not saying Sheffield is crap, I'm just saying that the other unis are a lot better.

ReputationRep:

Of course it doesn't, ellenfaith didn't say that but, in most cases that is the case. In most cases the lower the offer/requirement, the lower the course/uni. In most cases the higher the person's grades, the better the uni/course...ellenfaith probably meant that the tutor is unlikely to give an offer because the student will probably go the a better uni/course.

Most people aren't exactly going to study History at Brighton when they could do it at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    No I think, sir, you will find that was xmarilynx.. I haven't applied to Edinburgh..

Same till applies to Bristol, with a small bit of slack. AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellenfaith)
    I know, but say you could only give offers to 100 people, 30 of which would accept. Would you really waste one on someone who you knew had the grades to get into Oxbridge or St Andrews or UCL?

I'm not saying Sheffield is crap, I'm just saying that the other unis are a lot better.
    Plenty of people get offers from Oxbridge et al and still get into those lower rated, so yes. I'm no expert on the admissions process, but IMO universities have different criteria and in most cases being rejected for being "too good" is something people make up to feel better.

(Original post by TwentyTen)
    Of course it doesn't, ellenfaith didn't say that but, in most cases that is the case. In most cases the lower the offer/requirement, the lower the course/uni. In most cases the higher the person's grades, the better the uni/course...ellenfaith probably meant that the tutor is unlikely to give an offer because the student will probably go the a better uni/course.

Most people aren't exactly going to study History at Brighton when they could do it at Cambridge.
    In most cases, yes I agree that the more prestigious universities, and the more competitive courses, generally have higher requirements. However, in the case we are discussing in the thread, the university is in the top 10, so it's unlikely they will reject applicants because they're certain to reject them for somewhere "better". With nearly 300 applicants and only 28 places they're clearly sought after, and so I'd say it's highly likely they have plenty of applicants to choose from that far exceed the BBB typical offer.

ReputationRep:
    could have been your personal statement etc
    i guess alot of people apply for that course

ReputationRep:
    My friend got rejected from UEA but got an offer from Nottingham! Seems as though it's pretty common...

ReputationRep:
    You're overqualified and they can blatantly tell that they're just a back up choice for you...They probably think you have no intention of actually putting them as firm with your predicted grades so it would just be a waste of a place for them...

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people get offers from Oxbridge et al and still get into those lower rated, so yes. I'm no expert on the admissions process, but IMO universities have different criteria and in most cases being rejected for being "too good" is something people make up to feel better.

In most cases, yes I agree that the more prestigious universities, and the more competitive courses, generally have higher requirements. However, in the case we are discussing in the thread, the university is in the top 10, so it's unlikely they will reject applicants because they're certain to reject them for somewhere "better". With nearly 300 applicants and only 28 places they're clearly sought after, and so I'd say it's highly likely they have plenty of applicants to choose from that far exceed the BBB typical offer.
    They are not certain to, but they are likely to.... When comparing an an A*AA candidate to BBB requirements on a course for around 28 people (if she applied to bristol for French), if they do do as ellenfaith says, they would have to be careful about that situation. This is because it is then likley that if offers are to people are top class, then most are likely to go elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol's languages department receives more applicants per place than their chemistry department. however, the chem department give AAB offers for most courses and the languages department gives BBB. so it definitely is not a case of being overqualified, I think they just like to give out low offers much in the same way that edinburgh do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.