Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I wouldn't worry about it. Bristol are up to some funny stuff this year. Kid in my year got rejected for Econ and is going to Oxford. Its the only place I haven't heard back from, and Biochemistry is hardly a popular course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwentyTen)
    They are not certain to, but they are likely to.... When comparing an an A*AA candidate to BBB requirements on a course for around 28 people (if she applied to bristol for French), if they do do as ellenfaith says, they would have to be careful about that situation. This is because it is then likley that if offers are to people are top class, then most are likely to go elsewhere.
    Not really, because the university is also top class, and so an AAA prediction isn't exactly unusual. IMO your logic is completely flawed - not everyone with an AAA prediction gets into Oxbridge. Bristol is an excellent university which attracts many excellent students and simply cannot take them all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cje10)
    Right, so instead of rewarding outstanding grades, they have punished her? Very doubtful.
    You would be surprised.. a friend of mine was told not to apply for a Mandarin Language Course, because an A at AS Level is overqualified. Crazy, but it happens :shrug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Bearing in mind my grades are nowhere near that good and I have an offer, I have to say their admissions system (not that I'm complaining ) is incredibly weird.
    haha, yeah... I don't know, my parents thought it was maybe my B in maths GCSE?!

also, your other post about there being AAA students at sheffield is definitely right. my friend got a BBB offer for sheffield and got AAA (german and ab initio russian). she's very happy there and it's a great university.

personally, I don't know why bristol has such a high opinion of itself. it's definitely a good uni, but its admissions system is like oxbridge (though without the fairness of an interview!). it's not THAT good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosamund123)
    haha, yeah... I don't know, my parents thought it was maybe my B in maths GCSE?!

also, your other post about there being AAA students at sheffield is definitely right. my friend got a BBB offer for sheffield and got AAA (german and ab initio russian). she's very happy there and it's a great university.

personally, I don't know why bristol has such a high opinion of itself. it's definitely a good uni, but its admissions system is like oxbridge (though without the fairness of an interview!). it's not THAT good.
    I doubt it, I have a C in Maths and because it's nothing to do with languages they probably wouldn't care too much (although I guess that probably proves the other theories about you being too good!).

I have a friend at Sheffield too who got AAA, that's for the uber-competitive English though. I nearly applied, they're great for languages. Where else have you applied to apart from Exeter and Bristol?

Yeah I've heard a few people say Bristol's a bit snobby. They do have a stupid amount of applicants though, so I guess they have to be picky. How they choose between them all is anyone's guess IMO! :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    OP, have you considered that it wasn't your grades that put them off, but your PS or reference?

ReputationRep:
    Surely, Uni's can't be stupid, they must take into consideration if people have significantly higher grades?
    I mean if I was a Uni and an applicant applied with AAA for a BCC course, but another applicant applied with BBC for the BCC course. It would seem quite likely that the BBC person would be more likely to study at the Uni than the AAA person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    I doubt it, I have a C in Maths and because it's nothing to do with languages they probably wouldn't care too much (although I guess that probably proves the other theories about you being too good!).

I have a friend at Sheffield too who got AAA, that's for the uber-competitive English though. I nearly applied, they're great for languages. Where else have you applied to apart from Exeter and Bristol?

Yeah I've heard a few people say Bristol's a bit snobby. They do have a stupid amount of applicants though, so I guess they have to be picky. How they choose between them all is anyone's guess IMO! :dontknow:
    ohh no, I'm not applying this year, I'm at uni now... just saying I got rejected from bristol last year :rolleyes:

but I also got offers from sheffield, nottingham and cardiff. sheffield was my insurance because it was only BBB and it's reallyyyy nice!

where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkmonkey3)
    that is strange.
    Maybe they thought she wouldn't have chosen them anyways.. even though they're not allowed to do that. Or her science subjects indicated she didn't really have the heart for English...
    prob depends on the number of people applying and how popular the course is too... good luck
    it must be how popular the course is, i doubt international development with environment is a popular choice (my travel and tourism subject doesnt reflect a great deal of interest in development and environment issues). Though my personal statement was relitavely good and my GCSES were all A grade so they may have taken this into account :/ well i do hope they do like me and arent just filling numbers lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    My friend had 13 A*s at gcse, predicted 4 A*s at A2 and manchester rejected him for AAB-ABB course. So it is a live possibility that she is overqualified.
    And the reason your friend was rejected was due to his grades was it? No. There are other factors that lead to an offer other than grades. It is possible that, with a university like Bristol, many other applicants will have similar grades to the OP. That doesn't mean they are all going to be rejected for having/being predicted higher grades than what's expected. If that was the case, would nobody with A grades be accepted onto CCC courses? Oh, and it would be fairly challenging to be "overqualified" for such a prestigous university as Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    just out of interest do you go to a private school/college?
    because although all the above are plausable, there may be a small chance they rejected you in favour of an applicant similar to you only from a state school as bristol are renowned for being quite funny like that..?x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yafula)
    it must be how popular the course is, i doubt international development with environment is a popular choice (my travel and tourism subject doesnt reflect a great deal of interest in development and environment issues). Though my personal statement was relitavely good and my GCSES were all A grade so they may have taken this into account :/ well i do hope they do like me and arent just filling numbers lol
    I would say so, i doubt they would accept someone just to fill numbers..
    Unis wouldn't usually do this, they'd just make do with less people lol
    Your Personal statement must have stood out to them
    I hate mine, i sound so boring, no one would accept me

ReputationRep:
    Damn, rejection from the lowest uni must be a horrible feeling

I just got a rejection from Bristol and St Andrews for economics - A*AA prediction - and given that Warwick and LSE are the ones I remain to hear from (5th choice UEA gave me an offer fortunately) I can feel my chances of getting in slipping away a bit Still I can't do anything but hope that both unis are irrational, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __poppy)
    Ok, I won't complain and moan too much because at the end of the day if Bristol don't want me, I don't want them.

Bit of a predicament however, they were my lowest offer of BBB -BBC for French (and the university i really wanted to go to funnily enough), whereas my predicted grades are A*AA. I got some long winded e-mail basically explaining what they do when they get applications ("we take into consideration the predicted grades.. huurr durrr.. your personal statement.. uhhhh.. etc. etc.) but I simply can't see where I've gone wrong. GAH. And I have no back-up now.

Do I contact them and get feedback in case everywhere else decides to reject me? I've received an offer from Exeter but don't want to go there.

tl;dr, rejected from lowest offer. what to do?

This is so similar to my situation it's a bit scary. My predicted grades are A*, A*, A and Bristol was my lowest offer too (to study French). I have an offer from Exeter as well but am not too excited about going there. I was really annoyed about Bristol and called them up. The fool of a woman who answered the phone was seriously rude (clearly they have no people skills at Bristol :P ) and basically told me to stop moaning when I asked for further feedback than their overtly generic and inapplicable email as they could hardly reply to everyone (blah, blah). Well, I'm still really unimpressed and fingers crossed Soton and Shef decide to offer me a place!

Isn't it so nice to have a bit of a moan??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumblebee333)
    just out of interest do you go to a private school/college?
    because although all the above are plausable, there may be a small chance they rejected you in favour of an applicant similar to you only from a state school as bristol are renowned for being quite funny like that..?x
    According to Bristol's language department's admissions statement, they don't take the schools applicants attend into account.

(Original post by FTstudies)
    Surely, Uni's can't be stupid, they must take into consideration if people have significantly higher grades?
    I mean if I was a Uni and an applicant applied with AAA for a BCC course, but another applicant applied with BBC for the BCC course. It would seem quite likely that the BBC person would be more likely to study at the Uni than the AAA person?
    I don't think there are many people at Bristol with BBC at A Level :p:

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that places will reject anyone for being overqualified; I have an offer from Aberdeen despite being predicted far higher than the requirements. People often choose to go to a uni with lower requirements because they prefer it; and for languages the requirements are often lower anyway - Durham for example ask for AAB when for many courses they are AAA.

ReputationRep:
    1) I feel bad, as my predicted grades are way below yours, and ive got an offer from Brizzle.
    2) Having said that, universities don't just take grades into account. There's also the reference and the personal statement. They need to make sure that you'll fit in with the department.
    3) Everyone talking about people with high grades applying to low grade unis: sometimes the reason you apply it isnt about the grade requirements. Some people may actually like the course and the city, not just the fact that the grades are easily attainable.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no! I don't mean to sound like I'm really full of myself and think I should just get automatic places anywhere I choose! It's more that when I applied I worried about places like Exeter and Southampton because the entrance grades were higher and their reputation (for languages) was very good. So when somewhere that you almost assume would be happy to have you as a student rejects you it's like What's going on?! It makes the whole process seem a bit random or at least like I don't understand it at all or even know what went wrong where! But I got offers from Sheffield and Birmingham today! Yay - seems like all my ranting is actually paying off somehow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki_giselle)
    Oh no! I don't mean to sound like I'm really full of myself and think I should just get automatic places anywhere I choose! It's more that when I applied I worried about places like Exeter and Southampton because the entrance grades were higher and their reputation (for languages) was very good. So when somewhere that you almost assume would be happy to have you as a student rejects you it's like What's going on?! It makes the whole process seem a bit random or at least like I don't understand it at all or even know what went wrong where! But I got offers from Sheffield and Birmingham today! Yay - seems like all my ranting is actually paying off somehow
    oh, i wasnt having a go! if the same thing happened to me, id be well angry!
    and congrats for your offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwentyTen)
    Of course it doesn't, ellenfaith didn't say that but, in most cases that is the case. In most cases the lower the offer/requirement, the lower the course/uni. In most cases the higher the person's grades, the better the uni/course...ellenfaith probably meant that the tutor is unlikely to give an offer because the student will probably go the a better uni/course.

Most people aren't exactly going to study History at Brighton when they could do it at Cambridge.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I meant! If I knew someone was qualified enough for Cambridge and I was an admissions officer at Brighton, I would assume they would a few offers from unis better than mine (even if not Cambridge) but at least better, and therefore wouldn't want to waste one of my offers on someone who wouldn't attend. Especially when I could offer it to someone who would be more suited to the level of the uni.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.