Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from Birmingham (my lowest for economics), but a few hours later I recieved an offer from Nottingham (my 2nd highest for economics).

Conclusion: they look for different things. I didn't want feedback from Birmingham though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Not really, because the university is also top class, and so an AAA prediction isn't exactly unusual. IMO your logic is completely flawed - not everyone with an AAA prediction gets into Oxbridge. Bristol is an excellent university which attracts many excellent students and simply cannot take them all.
    It's easy to say that my logic is flawed when we're having a disagreement. You may not understand my logic but that does not mean that it is "flawed".

Also, they cannot take them all, but this seems to be for different reasons xmarylinx. Yes Bristol is an excellent University. I am not contesting that, but looking at the course size, they would have to be quite careful about who they give offers to. Giving offers to A*AA students who can do better than Bristol (not much better, but better still) can be risky. Again, the premise is that most people would choose the better Uni.

The part of my "logic" that you implied was flawed was just another assumption you have made about what I think without properly analyzing what I have written. I never once said that "everyone with an AAA prediction gets into oxford", but people with A*AA grades have a very good chance of getting into a better university than Bristol (we could get into an argument about what constitutes "better", but I mean "better" in the traditional sense). This debate only started because you implied ellenfaith was saying something she clearly didn't in the first place lool.

Since you feel my logic is flawed through your analysis, then there is no point carrying on because more words will be put into my mouth lol. :P...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAyy)
    I got rejected from Birmingham (my lowest for economics), but a few hours later I recieved an offer from Nottingham (my 2nd highest for economics).

Conclusion: they look for different things. I didn't want feedback from Birmingham though :rolleyes:
    Congrats on the Notts offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Congrats on the Notts offer.
    Thanks Paul
    I have no clue how I got it to be honest :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __poppy)
    Ok, I won't complain and moan too much because at the end of the day if Bristol don't want me, I don't want them.

Bit of a predicament however, they were my lowest offer of BBB -BBC for French (and the university i really wanted to go to funnily enough), whereas my predicted grades are A*AA. I got some long winded e-mail basically explaining what they do when they get applications ("we take into consideration the predicted grades.. huurr durrr.. your personal statement.. uhhhh.. etc. etc.) but I simply can't see where I've gone wrong. GAH. And I have no back-up now.

Do I contact them and get feedback in case everywhere else decides to reject me? I've received an offer from Exeter but don't want to go there.

tl;dr, rejected from lowest offer. what to do?
    Where else have you applied?
    and what are the status of your other applications?

But yes Bristol are holistic when making offers.

(Original post by JayAyy)
    Thanks Paul
    I have no clue how I got it to be honest :o:
    Well Notts are AAA and Birmingham AAB. So maybe the b at AS Physics is less of a concern for Notts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwentyTen)
    It's easy to say that my logic is flawed when we're having a disagreement. You may not understand my logic but that does not mean that it is "flawed".

Also, they cannot take them all, but this seems to be for different reasons xmarylinx. Yes Bristol is an excellent University. I am not contesting that, but looking at the course size, they would have to be quite careful about who they give offers to. Giving offers to A*AA students who can do better than Bristol (not much better, but better still) can be risky. Again, the premise is that most people would choose the better Uni.

The part of my "logic" that you implied was flawed was just another assumption you have made about what I think without properly analyzing what I have written. I never once said that "everyone with an AAA prediction gets into oxford", but people with A*AA grades have a very good chance of getting into a better university than Bristol (we could get into an argument about what constitutes "better", but I mean "better" in the traditional sense). This debate only started because you implied ellenfaith was saying something she clearly didn't in the first place lool.

Since you feel my logic is flawed through your analysis, then there is no point carrying on because more words will be put into my mouth lol. :P...
    I understand your logic perfectly well, and your way of thinking would indeed make sense, but evidence clearly shows that Bristol's admissions don't work this way. The fact is I haven't seen anyone on here that has been given an offer by Oxbridge and been rejected by Bristol for the OP's course. There are numerous applicants holding offers from both universities. Therefore it's pretty silly to say that Bristol reject people on the basis that their grades are "too good" and that they're going to go somewhere "better". This debate only started when you were giving out a misinformed, misleading opinion.

I'm not "putting words into your mouth" at all, merely disagreeing with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __poppy)
    It's confusing. Maybe I should stop reading into it, but I did want to go there rather badly.
    From unists.com:
    i)Independent French table has Bristol in 15th place,
    http://tables.thecompleteuniversityg...ted_table=fren

Times has them in 27th http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...ub=27&x=33&y=8

Guardian in 19th:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...dern-languages
    ii)The average points for French at Bristol is 430.
    iii) This is the full UCAS tariff points distribution for French students at Bristol:
    119 or below 1%
    120 to 159
    160 to 199
    200 to 239
    240 to 279
    280 to 319 1%
    320 to 359 11%
    360 to 399 14%
    400 to 439 23%
    440 to 479 18%
    480 to 519 15%
    520 to 559 9%
    560 to 599 3%
    600 or more 4%

iv)Further looking for all French course on unists shows that Bristol has the 7th highest averge:
    Oxford 520
    St Andrews 480
    Edinburgh 464
    Warwick 460
    Stratchclyde 458
    Southampton 440
    Bath/Bristol/UCL 430

iv)Hence they are a much more competitive course than their low typical offer and league table positions may suggest.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.