Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So,

i'm going to start uni in september and i'm going to be moving out and living in student accommodation or private (unsure)

i've heard so many bad stories about dirty flatmates and lazy flatmates who don't do **** or people living with someone they hate but i've also heard that long time friendships are formed.

i get on easily with people but i'm not a pushover lol i don't wanna seem like the bossy one telling everyone to clean up because i still wanna have fun you know :p:

anyone in uni now have any good or bad stories about student accommodation because i'm thinking way too much about the negatives..:confused:

may be going nottingham trent or UCA Epsom if that helps

much appreciated xx

ReputationRep:
    It's really hit and miss. At the moment I'm living with 5 other people. 2 people are international students who moved in a couple weeks ago, I get on with them pretty well and we often go to the pub together. There's another guy who we never ever see, haven't seen him since November but apparently he does still live here aha. Then there's two girls that I get on with but we don't have THAT much incommon with, so we mainly just hang out every now and again to watch a movie or whatever. But yeah, a lot of people have bonded really well with their flatmates. If you don't a lot of universities allow you to move, or you can just spend a lot of time at a friends house. :P

ReputationRep:
    Most people living in halls are fine. Everyone has their little habits, but then learning to deal with these things is part of growing up.

ReputationRep:
    Its just completely hit and miss. i was quite unfortunate, and ended up in a flat with people that i didn't have anytihng in common with, (we had completely different lifestyles) but I soon left the uni as that was just one of many problems and reason I didn't like about the uni.

Perhaps if you choose more expensive accomodation you will live with more respectful people, but that is a sweeping generalisation and not at all valid - my only theory is that if the kitchen is newer, people will be encouraged to look after it. It has no bearing on the characters and personality of the people living with you.

Most universities will allow you to move rooms if you don't get on with your flatmates. Just beware of private accomodation with people you don't know, as you will be tied into a contract and cannot leave. Also if a flatmates damages the house e.c.t. the money could be taken out of everyones deposits, depending on the landlord and the type of contract you sign.

ReputationRep:
    do you live with students doing the same course as you or is it just randoms??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *my-future's-bright*)
    do you live with students doing the same course as you or is it just randoms??
    No, there'll be a mix of courses. In my flat I did French with two other people and Music with another (as I do Music and French), but that was just luck, they didn't assign us that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    No, there'll be a mix of courses. In my flat I did French with two other people and Music with another (as I do Music and French), but that was just luck, they didn't assign us that way.
    oh cool, thanks

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.