The Student Room Group

AQA PSYA3 - What do you think is going to come up

For Gender, Aggression and Biological rhythms and sleep?

I think for gender: maybe biological, cognitive explanations for gender development or psychological androgyny and dysphoria
Aggression: maybe evolutionary explanations or group displays or maybe it could be mixed.
Bio/sleep: Two functions of sleep or lifespan changes in speech, or even something to do with disorders of sleep.

What do you guys think? 29/1/10, we'll see if I am right, I really hope so.

Scroll to see replies

For aggression I feel pretty confident on the whole thing so it's not too bad but for biorhythms it's really anything... there are so many qs they could ask.

I'm hoping for the nature of sleep - it's so broad you can get the marks pretty easily, though lifespan changes or explanations would be a godsend.
Reply 2
It's AQA, so maybe something about shrews?

In all seriousness, I'm not sure there is much they can ask on gender. It'll either be biological, social, or cognitive explanations, of which you can use alternative approaches to evaluate. I just hope it's not cognitive :p:
For Intelligence, it might be animal intelligence or the evolution of intelligence. I'm hoping it's not; I'd rather talk about the influence of genetics in intelligence test performance :smile:
For Cognition and Development, I'm hoping it's one theory of cognitive development, and preferably not moral understanding (which I think it'll be).

So in general, I think it'll be the questions I don't want :biggrin:
Reply 3
Whatever they ask, i can guarantee it'll be hard!
SCARED!!!
Reply 4
Jamstar
It's AQA, so maybe something about shrews?

In all seriousness, I'm not sure there is much they can ask on gender. It'll either be biological, social, or cognitive explanations, of which you can use alternative approaches to evaluate. I just hope it's not cognitive :p:

So in general, I think it'll be the questions I don't want :biggrin:

Social came up in the specimen paper, and AQA rarely (though not always) repeat the same question. So I haven't revised that (I haven't even read it...).

Btw, congrats on the Oxford offer! :biggrin:
Reply 5
HarryA
Social came up in the specimen paper, and AQA rarely (though not always) repeat the same question. So I haven't revised that (I haven't even read it...).

If I were you, I'd at least read up on it. If the question asked you to discuss the influence of biological factors on the development of gender or something, in your evaluation, you can reference the influence of social factors, because in this case, gendered behaviour would not fully result from biological influences. If you see what I mean :p:
Besides, it may be uncommon, but repeating questions can happen, and it'd be dreadful if that happened to you.

And thanks! I still need to get those 3As though, and I have to say, I'm really not very confident :p:
Reply 6
Jamstar
If I were you, I'd at least read up on it. If the question asked you to discuss the influence of biological factors on the development of gender or something, in your evaluation, you can reference the influence of social factors, because in this case, gendered behaviour would not fully result from biological influences. If you see what I mean :p:
Besides, it may be uncommon, but repeating questions can happen, and it'd be dreadful if that happened to you.

And thanks! I still need to get those 3As though, and I have to say, I'm really not very confident :p:

Ahh you're so right. I totally forgot about using other theories as evaluation. I'm also self-teaching psychology and the AO3 was difficult to get to grips with at first.

And I'm sure you can do it, seeing as you needed 3 As at AS to get an offer from Oxford. At any rate, I think you should go for the A* in all your courses.
thompsonbassman
For aggression I feel pretty confident on the whole thing so it's not too bad but for biorhythms it's really anything... there are so many qs they could ask.

I'm hoping for the nature of sleep - it's so broad you can get the marks pretty easily, though lifespan changes or explanations would be a godsend.

You know for the nature of sleep, what exactly would you write about? Just about sleep cycles etc? :s-smilie:
HarryA

read up on the stuff you haven't revised. I know you guys are doing the new spec but last year i thought they couldn't repeat questions so I didn't revise a topic and it came up I got a C in that paper and had to retake to get an A. Revise it anyway,save yourseld the hassel.
Reply 9
Just to be really annoying, it'll be the one topic I'll have forgotten about.
piece_by_piece
You know for the nature of sleep, what exactly would you write about? Just about sleep cycles etc? :s-smilie:

I'd talk about the stages and its link to ultradian rhythms including dement and kleitman's study. Mention how sleep changes with age using van cauter et al, floyd, klerman and then the functions of sleep citing sleep deprivation studies. There is loads to write about :smile:.
thompsonbassman
I'd talk about the stages and its link to ultradian rhythms including dement and kleitman's study. Mention how sleep changes with age using van cauter et al, floyd, klerman and then the functions of sleep citing sleep deprivation studies. There is loads to write about :smile:.

So you can more or less write about anything? :smile:
Reply 12
HarryA
For Gender, Aggression and Biological rhythms and sleep?

I think for gender: maybe biological, cognitive explanations for gender development or psychological androgyny and dysphoria
Aggression: maybe evolutionary explanations or group displays or maybe it could be mixed.
Bio/sleep: Two functions of sleep or lifespan changes in speech, or even something to do with disorders of sleep.

What do you guys think? 29/1/10, we'll see if I am right, I really hope so.

really i personally think theres not enough there to actually right about i think it may be Gentics or Hormonal
Cognitive: i think its gna be a theory and its application to educations i think Bruner I hope Piaget!!
Sleep: Insomina! I hope not i want Functions of sleep or life span could be okay
Reply 13
thompsonbassman

okay i have never herd of them but that is a tough question could you talk about lifespan changes in sleep and dosnt sleep deprivation come in restoation theory!

dont tell me that is like a huge mix of almost everything :O
Reply 14
What book are you using? I am using the dog one (Cardwell and Flanagan) which has some of those studies.

Also, I just got an email saying that my UCAS application has changed - I got rejected from UCL :'(
zohaib01
okay i have never herd of them but that is a tough question could you talk about lifespan changes in sleep and dosnt sleep deprivation come in restoation theory!

dont tell me that is like a huge mix of almost everything :O

yeah the nature of sleep of course it is a bit of everything, think about it!

the function of sleep comes under the nature of it and so does lifespan changes. there are hundreds of studies you can use just look some up on the internet...

you can also speak a little bit about sleep disorders but there is so much to write about already you probably won't have time.
piece_by_piece
So you can more or less write about anything? :smile:

Yeah just don't drift too far away from the question.

Link everything together - there are some studies you can use for more than one thing for example.....

Floyd et al did a meta-analysis of over 400 studies and found that REM sleep decreases 0.6% each decade.

You can use that as support for the restoration theory but also relate it to lifespan changes in sleep! It all links together you just have to think about it and be very selective in the exam if this q. comes up!:yep:
Reply 17
thompsonbassman
Floyd et al did a meta-analysis of over 400 studies and found that REM sleep decreases 0.6% each decade.

Wow, didn't know that!

Thanks! =]
Reply 18
Would anyone be able to post the paper after the exam? I'm only doing this in June but I'd still like to know what questions come up for aggression, sleep & relationships. Or just the questions will do :smile:
Good luck to you all anyway!
Reply 19
I'll remember the ones for sleep and aggression, but can't guarantee about relationships. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending