Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I know there's approximately 1000000 threads about this coursework and ideas for it but i really am stuck. We're just starting our coursework now (we did the exam for the other part of the course today) and I need a question, I have or had many ideas but I'm not sure if any of them are good enough, if I would have enough to say or what to particularly focus on.

At first I thought I might look at a specific publication and how language has changed over time, I was going to get old issues of NME or i-D magazine and compare them to more current and examine differences in language etc.

My next idea was to investigate how language used on social networking sites like facebook is used to establish an personal identity/something about the importance of sociolects and idiolect within the context of social networking sites.

Another idea was to investigate how the growth of estuary English in the media has effected other dialects/replaced a more standardised form of English in the media.

Then I thought maybe doing something about how language is used in certain fashion and music magazines to gain covert prestige (NME, Vice magazine etc) where swearing and colloquialisms are used regularly.

If you've read through all that I'm very grateful and any ideas would be much appreciated, if you think any of my ideas are good, how I could develop them etc

thankss yo x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 28, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.