Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm making my sister a birthday cake, and she said she wanted one with cherries in. So I'm thinking maybe black forest gateau, but I was wondering if anyone had any other good ideas/recipes. Rep if I end up using one.

ReputationRep:
    ima gonna be boring and say just a normal sponge cake but throw cherries into the mix?

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to crave a chocolate cake now :drool:
    I personally find that cherries go better with white cream cakes, but a black forest gateau made well is f'in awesome!

ReputationRep:
    My mum has a recipe (in her low calorie recipe book :p: ) for a tea loaf. I'm sorry it's probably not appropriate for a birthday cake but it tastes amazing and has cherries and like raisins and currants in. You soak all the fruit in tea overnight, then mix with flour and sugar (although it specifies that processed crappy sugar) and bake it for about 45minutes. Omg absolutely amazing :coma: I can get you the recipe if you're interested although it's probably not a great birthday cake more just a superwolf should eat more cake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    My mum has a recipe (in her low calorie recipe book :p: ) for a tea loaf. I'm sorry it's probably not appropriate for a birthday cake but it tastes amazing and has cherries and like raisins and currants in. You soak all the fruit in tea overnight, then mix with flour and sugar (although it specifies that processed crappy sugar) and bake it for about 45minutes. Omg absolutely amazing :coma: I can get you the recipe if you're interested although it's probably not a great birthday cake more just a superwolf should eat more cake
    Stuff Superwolf, I want that recipe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Low calories? LOW CALORIES? The hell you trying to do to me? Nah, sounds good, but I've got a recipe which is almost identical. Tastes damn good. In fact I might make it tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I will ask my mum for it. It's really really good, probably one of my favourite cakes

Superwolf, if you put regular sugar in it's much better and no longer low calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    :eviltongue:

Here's my recipe:

375g dried fruit (any kind you like)
    1 mug cold tea
    1 egg
    75g brown sugar
    250g self-raising flour

Soak fruit in tea overnight
    Mix in egg and sugar
    Add flour a bit at a time while beating so it's smooth as possible
    Bake at 170C for about an hour

Tastes ******* gorgeous.

And it's got tons of fruit in, so you can pretend it's healthy and eat it for breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    :eviltongue:

Here's my recipe:

375g dried fruit (any kind you like)
    1 mug cold tea
    1 egg
    75g brown sugar
    250g self-raising flour

Soak fruit in tea overnight
    Mix in egg and sugar
    Add flour a bit at a time while beating so it's smooth as possible
    Bake at 170C for about an hour

Tastes ******* gorgeous.

And it's got tons of fruit in, so you can pretend it's healthy and eat it for breakfast.
    Yeah that sounds pretty much the same. KMN you might as well use that one (although I'm going to get my mum's to make anyway for myself :p: ). I forgot about the egg(s).

It's good if you put some orange and lemon peel pieces in with the dried fruit.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.