The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think you'd be better of spending more time doing hands on work such as volunteering. However, if you have quite a bit already then it would give you something extra to talk about. I don't really know a lot about the course though.

In the main, volunteering and work experience will be more important but if you've done a lot of that already then doing this as well couldn't hurt your application!
As has already been said it's probably better to do such a course in adjunction to actual experience as opposed to just doing it by itself.

Have you had experience working with diabetic patients? Is it something you saw during you're work experience? If so, then I feel it would be a good way to show the that you're intellectually curious and have a desire to research things further once your interest is piqued. I would definitely recommend OU courses though. :smile:
Reply 3
Firstly thanks for the advice its been very helpful.
I am currently doing some work experience at a school for disabled children and am in the process of getting some clinical experience shadowing a junior doctor and spending some time in the cardiology department etc so the OU course will be more of a bonus. However the work experience I am / will be doing has very little to do with diabetes and my main reason for choosing it was because I had a very small amount of knowledge and experience on the subject. Do you think it would be better to choose a different course more related to the work experience I have done?
read a book of diabetes and ask the staff where you are volunteering and talk about those in your interview. having that extra qualification will not really be a factor in your application. however by reading some books and carrying out your own research shows you have a genuine intrest and will help youer appliaction as it shows you are will to take your knowlege futhur and you dont need you hand holding.
I am doing a OU certificate in Medicine and drugs in the comming summer, It has some elements of AS level chemistry (organic compounds) so that would help me with the course, i would defo recomend you do it as long as it does not interfere too much with your A levels amd you can handle the workload.

Latest

Trending

Trending