Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've heard this so many times and its probably true that you should lift heavy weights to gain muscle but surely you have to progress according to your own strength?

I mean for example, a person who has never lifted a weight and is generally weak cannot start lifting 10kg dumbbells just like that?

Wouldn't it be better to start low and work yourself upwards?

This is just a general question and any replies will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Heavy is all relative to you, quite obv a person new to lifting wont come in and squat 200kg, if your lifting weights at about your 5 rep max then this weight is pretty heavy relative to you and will help gain strength

ReputationRep:
    Linear progression.

Obviously everyone have to start off low, some lower than others.

ReputationRep:
    Heavy means heavy for you. Why does nobody get this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    I mean for example, a person who has never lifted a weight and is generally weak cannot start lifting 10kg dumbbells just like that?
    I cannot think why a beginner would ever need 10kg dumbbells.

Lifting heavy does not refer to the absolute weights that you are lifting. What it does mean is that you are doing less reps per set.

ReputationRep:
    And 'lifting heavy' only refers to dumbbell curls.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.