Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok i have taken media for GCSE, and am looking at it for As level, however my dad says it's a waste of time, is it really that bad?

My other options are further maths, maths, physics. Also i heard Uni's reject people just because they take Media As/A level, however i don't believe this?:woo:

ReputationRep:
    it's the most academically rigorous subject out there. your username is disturbingly similar to my media teacher's name.
    if that's you Rob, GET BACK IN YOUR CAGE.

ReputationRep:
    Media is completely terrible if you want to get on a good course at a decent Uni.
    If your doing maths,FM and physics maybe you could try doing an easy but slightly more respectable subject like Geography to improve your essay writing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robthriller)
    Ok i have taken media for GCSE, and am looking at it for As level, however my dad says it's a waste of time, is it really that bad?

My other options are further maths, maths, physics. Also i heard Uni's reject people just because they take Media As/A level, however i don't believe this?:woo:
    Not really, some uni's will frown upon people with AS media as it's viewed as a soft subject, but most uni's will accept it. It's usefull to have media if you want to do a media course at uni anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Your dad speaks words of wisdom. Don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eccentric)
    Media is completely terrible if you want to get on a good course at a decent Uni.
    If your doing maths,FM and physics maybe you could try doing an easy but slightly more respectable subject like Geography to improve your essay writing.
    Well, i have already looked at Uni courses for maths, and they all (that io have seen) only say they want X grade at A level in maths to be accepted, does this mean that they don't look at other grades or do they still do so?

ReputationRep:
    I picked it because I thought it would be good. It is ******* ****. Worst subject and biggest workload. It just asks the same question 100 times but uses different wording.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what university you want to go to, and what course you want to do. It's best not to take it if you're aiming for Oxbridge, for instance. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It just doesnt go together- you have less able students doing media, business etc. But if your doing maths further maths nd physics your looking at the top unis providing you get As. Media really wont help your application as supposed to someone else applying to oxbridge etc with m fm and physics and an AS in say biology. It just doesnt go together. Without sounding rude people do media if they arnt paticularly bright, but think its essential to have some a levels on their CV. So basically if you can do m fm and physics your downing yourself later on with having media for uni and in general. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yes, Media is quite a soft subject. Though I am doing it, because I have ideas in entering journalism. I think it depends on what you want to do at uni as to what you learn at A Level. Your other 3 choices are very strong, so if you are intent on doing Media and think it will be useful to you in the future, then go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Ah i understand, but the thing is, i am relucatant to take another science due to work load, what other subjects which are of reasonable standard would be worth taking?

Out of humanities i only do geog.

ReputationRep:
    Ah i understand, but the thing is, i am relucatant to take another science due to work load, what other subjects which are of reasonable standard would be worth taking?

English Lit is another strong subject that's respected by unis. It's a lot of reading poems, novels and plays, analysing, coursework and exams. If you like that sort of thing then I would recommend that

ReputationRep:
    Well, i have already looked at Uni courses for maths, and they all (that io have seen) only say they want X grade at A level in maths to be accepted, does this mean that they don't look at other grades or do they still do so?
    top 20 uni its very important. Think of it like this, people only apply on the courses if they have grade X in the subject, so on courses with 10 applicants per place, how are applicants separated? The answer is the other courses taken, gcses and personal statement. Im assuming you are aiming high, not many people take your 3 mathematical subjects Without being very bright. Not blowing my own trumpet but i can tell a massive difference from being in my business class than my m fm and physics lessons! You will get A or B in these subjects or you will of dropped it by november.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I did GCSE and carried it on all the way to A2 which I'm doing now, and I absolutely love Media It's very different to how GCSE works, though-you'll be expected to be a lot more independent, and your coursework for example is much more flexible (for A2 I did my critical investigation into fan theory, and it's brilliant! Practically every other person in my class has chosen something different so that's definitely a plus). It massively helps with your referencing skills and essay writing, and looking at your other subjects which might not involve an awful lot of this it's something to consider.

Not one uni rejection for me yet, but I am doing English and it's pretty closely related...If you only did AS Media because you enjoy it (and why not!) then you could still keep the other three for your A2 because they're quite similar in style and would support a uni application if you wanted to go on to do Maths. Above all, talk to your teacher for Media and ask about this and maybe give your dad some more information if he's not familiar with a Media course. I will say that since you're doing very numeracy related subjects Media looks like a bit of a curveball thrown in, but I know plenty of people who chose wide-ranging subjects for their AS and narrowed it down to more closely related topics in their next year. They're all applying to respectable unis and many have offers.

I hope this helps

PS-Oxbridge do "blacklist" Media to an extent, not sure about any other unis, maybe someone else could elaborate for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will1692)
    top 20 uni its very important. Think of it like this, people only apply on the courses if they have grade X in the subject, so on courses with 10 applicants per place, how are applicants separated? The answer is the other courses taken, gcses and personal statement. Im assuming you are aiming high, not many people take your 3 mathematical subjects being very bright. Not blowing my own trumpet but i can tell a massive difference from being in my business class than my m fm and physics lessons! You will get A or B in these subjects or you will of dropped it by november.

Ah thanks very much, well yes i take media now and god its easy, you could learn it all in a week to be fair, so is geography more suited?

ReputationRep:
    Well I dropped it.
    You'd be better doing an English;
    because I found media was like doing a third (less respected) english.

ReputationRep:

totally understand where you are coming from, where you are aiming for uni wise? Key is what someelse said, do geography etc. Resoected without being how i feel at the moment with f maths, revise all xmas to fail! Media has such a bad rep people look down on it, as supposed to saying its not amazing but its another qualification in geography etc. M fm and physics are really challenging but you will reget taking media i promise.maybe take As additional further maths if available?

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks very much, well yes i take media now and god its easy, you could learn it all in a week to be fair, so is geography more suited?
    maybe something you enjoy that is fairly challenging. Personally being mathematical based with business on the side i would hate it. If your into it economics would be an awesome choice with your m fm physics etc. As isnt that hard if your into a better version of business with some numbers?

Wow 500 posts god im sad

ReputationRep:
    If you have hopes of getting into a fairly prestigious uni then media is going to do you no favours. I don't think there's any point doing it unless you actually want to do a degree in a media related subject - I did media at A Level but I'm now doing a degree in English and Film and it was well worth it, but I can't see it being worth your time if you plan on doing something maths based. Media tends to be a subject people do if they are genuinely interested in it, or if they can't be arsed to do a more worthwhile subject.

I say go for it if you really want to and you aren't aiming for a really prestigious uni, but if you're worried about it affecting your chances of getting in, then don't. Run away.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how it's a waste of time (but then again, I am biased). I mean, the media is part of our everyday lives; pretty much every company has a PR or Media department. Fair enough if it's not what you want to do, but it can open up doors into companies.

Still, you should only do it if you want to do it.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.