Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

As media, a waste of time? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do economics and you will have a solid cv! Shows people ur not just theoretical, ie yiu are employable and know about putting things in a context. Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, it depends on what course you want to do and what unis you are looking at. I know that Oxbridge for instance specifically state that Media Studies isn't recommended.

I do Maths, F Maths, Physics and Economics, and the work load isn't too bad.

ReputationRep:
    My friend does media and she loves it =) it looks well fun, they've had to design magazines and they made their own horror movie trailers and learnt to edit them so far =) i dont think one a level like media would compromise your chances of getting into a good uni as long as you have some traditional subjects like geo or something (although im biased with geo, love it xD) but its respected =) do it definitely if you think you'll enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robthriller)
    Ok i have taken media for GCSE, and am looking at it for As level, however my dad says it's a waste of time, is it really that bad?

My other options are further maths, maths, physics. Also i heard Uni's reject people just because they take Media As/A level, however i don't believe this?:woo:
    If you're intelligent enough to take further maths and physics then challenge yourself! Go for the best, no offence to anyone who studies it but it isn't a respected A level and yes it will narrow down your choices.

That's not to say that people don't get in to top unis with it, and by all means study it if you enjoy it, just be aware that it's not an academic subject.

ReputationRep:
    Unis won't reject you for doing it, haha. But it's fairly **** anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I do Media at A2, and I've had no problem getting offers to the uni's I've applied for (except for Cardiff, but that was because of another reason), particularly as my prediction is an A. You might do if you don't do well in it.

Also, don't listen to parents when choosing your choices - it's your life

ReputationRep:
    I took Media at AS and A2 and got offes from Newcastle and Manchester. So if your aiming for a decent red brick and have courses that link together (I also have English), then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok i have taken media for GCSE, and am looking at it for As level, however my dad says it's a waste of time, is it really that bad?

My other options are further maths, maths, physics. Also i heard Uni's reject people just because they take Media As/A level, however i don't believe this?:woo:
    I did AS Media.. its a good course, and you watch alot of movies so that fun, but its another A Level to your name, I ended doing 4 A Levels and weirdly I did the best in media and i'm doing Music tech at Uni now

ReputationRep:
    I did it to AS Level and got a high B... I really enjoyed it. Considering you are doing the other three A Levels which are very much respected I do not see the problem.

ReputationRep:

This is true. Some only say General Studies, my other said that General AND Media Studies weren't accepted.
    It's not a well respected subject in the slightest, whatever anyone may say about any supposedly hidden plus points.
    Taking it will only weigh down your UCAS, I strongly advise not to do it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.