Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think I have general anxiety disorder, now what do I do? Watch

I am starting to think that I have problems with my anxiety, its getting noticably worse and starting to take over my life. I want to change and don't want to be like this anymore but I don't quite know what I should do about it all.
    I hate the fact that I analyse everything in so much detail, and I'm always worrying about the worse case scenario- even though its likely not to happen.
    I just wish I could be a bit more laid back and enjoy life more, rather than just letting it pass me by.
    Anyone got any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctors, im on citalopram at the moment and its worked really well for the physical symptoms I was getting. He might give you something similar or give you counselling.

Don't label yourself.

ReputationRep:
    dr :yep:

Yep, try and get meds or counselling or possibly both. Don't worry about the labels too much because they can make some people feel trapped but they're just a diagnostic tool and it doesn't mean you're stuck with a disorder for life. If you meet a certain number of symptoms then you may be labelled with x disorder however if you effectively reduce some of these you then might not 'qualify' anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been to the doctors abecause I panic too much

A psychologist said to me I should do cognitie therapy or something like tht but i'm too anxious to do it

Basically I dunno but I would like to know a way too lol

ReputationRep:
    Panic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    I haven't been to the doctors abecause I panic too much

A psychologist said to me I should do cognitie therapy or something like tht but i'm too anxious to do it

Basically I dunno but I would like to know a way too lol
    Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is really good, although I did mine months ago now and knew I needed more but my uni schedule just wont allow for anything and my gp has been really great - never wanting to give out meds without stressing that it doesn cure anything you need to work through stuff. Im on a different one but i hear citalopram a lot is good.

You really should build up to seeing the doctor, though I know people saying 'you should' 'you have to' helps as much as a paper airplane to Fuji.

ReputationRep:
    doctor then psychologist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is really good, although I did mine months ago now and knew I needed more but my uni schedule just wont allow for anything and my gp has been really great - never wanting to give out meds without stressing that it doesn cure anything you need to work through stuff. Im on a different one but i hear citalopram a lot is good.

You really should build up to seeing the doctor, though I know people saying 'you should' 'you have to' helps as much as a paper airplane to Fuji.
    I dunno what the doctor can do tht a psychologist and trained nurse can't except medication

Lol isn't it funny when people just telly ou to calm down haha :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    since reading this thred i,v got it too, well at lest a big bad head bye get well soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    I dunno what the doctor can do tht a psychologist and trained nurse can't except medication

Lol isn't it funny when people just telly ou to calm down haha :rolleyes:
    Yeh I hate that, I hate that my family (particularly mother) knows about what i do and dont like and then shes constantly like 'i dont know why you never come to x' and its like 'shut up! It doesnt just go away'.

The doctor can refer you to regional initiatives that a psychologist and trained nurse cant - the one in my region (that did my CBT and does other stuff) you specifically need a doctor to refer you or you cant get in and even then theres a huge waiting list.

ReputationRep:
    firstly, go to the doctors because they have the power to refer you to the next step.

secondly, be pro-active;
    - if doc gives you meds, take them.
    - if you see a councellor do what she/he says and mean it.
    - be more positive even when you dont want to be, even when it feels fake because if you fake it for long enough if will become a natural feeling and you in turn will become a more positive person.
    - take risks. do all the things you are scared of and over come them.

Anon please.

If its any help, your not alone. Im exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortysixandtwo)
    Don't label yourself.
    This first and foremost.

Don't label yourself OP it's a surprisingly common problem when people self label that they inadvertently change their own behaviour to meet the criteria even if they don't consciously realise that they're doing it. If you're worried you should speak to a doctor, but do so with a completely open mind. If you go in there brandishing labels you're either going to get an annoyed doctor or a misdiagnosis.

Let the doctors do their jobs when it comes to diagnosing, don't worry yourself with petty names and such.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.