Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it okay to do this? Bearing in mind my school normally doesn't consider people who haven't done the GCSE. I had no idea when I picked my GCSEs in year nine that I would want to do history, and I now completely regret choosing business studies instead.

Is it difficult to do the A-level without the GCSE?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You can do it, the skills are slightly different at A level but the skills you do need from GCSE you'll pick up really quickly. Lots of people do it, you may just have to concentrate a bit harder at first while you catch up some of the skills.

ReputationRep:
    College Im going to dont need a grade in history to do history, just a A in english. But it will depend on your sixth form really.

ReputationRep:
    Should be fine - many places don't require GCSE history to take it at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    A guy in my History class didn't do it for GCSE, and he does fine, so if you put the work in I'm sure you will too

ReputationRep:
    As long as you do well in things like English and RS (if you take that?) you should be fine doing History. My friend hadn't done it since Year 8, and she got an A last year at AS-Level, so you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannylj)
    College Im going to dont need a grade in history to do history, just a A in english. But it will depend on your sixth form really.
    "just a A" ?? AN A* :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying, everyone. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to check and see what experiences other people had had. Now I just have to persuade the school....

ReputationRep:
    It isn't essential really as you'll most likely be doing different units but if your good at English Lit you'll probably fair well in History.

ReputationRep:
    I have done exactly the same. I got to the end of year 11 and regretted not taking history. But after negotiation with the head of Humanties I now do it for AS.

The only problem I have slight difficulty with is the source paper. This can be seen as the problem as the GCSE students have had a head start on this. But it's fine after a couple of practices and advise and now I can get good marks in them.

But overall you don't need GCSE History. I was allowed because of high marks in English Lit GCSE because of the essay writing technique and also because I do critical thinking AS which helps with the source papers.

ReputationRep:
    I took AS history without the GCSE and got a B, now predicted an A for A-Level...it's certainly do-able, just took a while for me to find my feet sorta thing.

ReputationRep:
    Before taking A-Level History I hadn't had a History lesson since age 12.

So I think you should be fine if your designated college/sixth form allows it.

(I only took part in Year 7 and the first weeks of Year 8, rather than continuing up to age 14 in Year 9)

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.