Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied for politics at every other university i applied for, except for KCL for which i applied for War Studies (BA). Im wondering:

a) did anyone else here apply for it?
    b) has anyone else had feedback (i.e. a rejection/offer)?
    c) does anyone currently at the university know what sort of numbers of students get in?
    d) how competitive the course is to get on?

if any of this concerns you, please tell me

ReputationRep:
    Hey i've applied for War Studies at KCL. I don't know anyone else who's applied for the same course but nobody I know who has applied to King's has heard anything back yet; and from what I gather we probably won't hear untill March time.

I've read that there are around 60 places available with around 9 applicants per place, so I would say it will definitely be competitive, but i'm quite optimistic.

You said you applied for politics everywhere so i'm curious to know how much War Studies related stuff you got in your personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogit5)
    Hey i've applied for War Studies at KCL. I don't know anyone else who's applied for the same course but nobody I know who has applied to King's has heard anything back yet; and from what I gather we probably won't hear untill March time.

I've read that there are around 60 places available with around 9 applicants per place, so I would say it will definitely be competitive, but i'm quite optimistic.

You said you applied for politics everywhere so i'm curious to know how much War Studies related stuff you got in your personal statement?
    Ummm not a huge amount. I linked it through the defence of rights and liberties in history through warfare (American Civil War) and talked about the duality between politics and warfare (in the fact that violence is an extension of human emotion and beliefs)

what else did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for War Studies and Philosophy Only an acknowledgment so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryj0)
    c) does anyone currently at the university know what sort of numbers of students get in?
    d) how competitive the course is to get on?
    c) there are exactly 72 first years at the moment, including joint honours (with history, theology and the like). I would say there are about 55-60 single honours students.

d) competitive, but not impossible, I think its a 5:1/4:1 acceptance rate. Most here have 3A's and more.

If you haven't heard anything by the end of march, then panic, but we didn't find out untill then, so chill...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jon of the North)
    c) there are exactly 72 first years at the moment, including joint honours (with history, theology and the like). I would say there are about 55-60 single honours students.

d) competitive, but not impossible, I think its a 5:1/4:1 acceptance rate. Most here have 3A's and more.

If you haven't heard anything by the end of march, then panic, but we didn't find out untill then, so chill...
    thanks a lot.

sounds pretty cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryj0)
    what else did you apply for?
    I've applied for War Studies @ KCL, Birmingham and Kent. History and International Relations @ LSE, and Military History @ Salford (no chance i'm going there though :P ). So far I have offers from Salford, Kent and Birmingham, but fingers crossed I should hear from Kings soon

ReputationRep:
    does anybody know the number of postgraduate they admit? Ive asked at the department but they didnt want to tell me. ;-)

ReputationRep:
    I heard that the number of postgraduates changes dramatically each year. The admissions office told me that the MA International Relations program enrolled ~80 people last year, which seems like a lot, and only 30-35 in previous years. I also think applications went up a lot lately, and they may be admitting more internationals to make up for the poor economy (higher tuition fees for us).

However, I also heard that King's is limiting the number of students it takes due to the poor economy, though I would think that the limit is more aimed mostly at home students and undergrads.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for War Studies there; doubt I'll get in seeing as everyone else seems to have super A grades but I decided it was worth the shot.

I'm annoyed they're taking so long though.

ReputationRep:
    Aye the wait is annoying but two of my mates have had offers from Kings in the past week, albeit from different departments, so hopefully should hear from them soon.

ReputationRep:
    Another day, another disapointment.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, it will definately be late march.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know for sure?

ReputationRep:
    War studies notoriously take their time with replies. I think they want to see who will accept their offers from other places, and who will hold out for kings. A significant amount of people will want their choices sorted by march, and will therefore withdraw from Kings by the beginning of March.

ReputationRep:
    I recieved notice last week that i was admitted to LSE's MSc in IR and War Studies for the MA in Peace and Security. As an American, id be grateful for any advice as to what you all have heard about the teaching at both schools, the graduates, and strengths of school's brand abroad. Many thanks and good luck with the admissions process.

ReputationRep:
    OH SHI-

Got an offer for War studies and History today. Feels fricking brillo man! Most definitely gonna firm it in the coming days. AAA conditional btw. YES YES YES *jizzes*

ReputationRep:
    Just got an offer for War Studies and Philosophy!!!

Congratulations stalag_7 on your offer!

ReputationRep:
    How did you get your offers? Notification by email?

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for History and War Studies as well - definitely firming!! I was soooo nervous when i opened that myapplication thing!! Hopefully I'll be seeing you there Stalag!! woooooo, just need 3 As now!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 22, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.