The Student Room Group

Too Old to Be a Mum?

I've heard of stuff like this before and somewhat sickens me

Women in their late 50's/60's having kids via IVF

there was a doc on BBC about it - http://bbc.co.uk/i/qgrhz/

I mean - why? isn't it a bit harsh on the child? menopause was made for a reason.

To Add - it's another drain on existing resources which will become more and more precious.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't consider it so harsh. A woman who has a child at 60 could very possibly live until the child is 30. Sure, not all will, but then not all 20 year old mothers will see their child become 30 either.

Much older than that, though, and you're pushing it a bit.
cpj1987
I don't consider it so harsh. A woman who has a child at 60 could very possibly live until the child is 30. Sure, not all will, but then not all 20 year old mothers will see their child become 30 either.

Much older than that, though, and you're pushing it a bit.

Life expectancy fail.

I understand these women, but it's unfair toward the child.
yeah i agree with cpj1987 ^
Reply 4
I can imagine they would probably struggle with parenting, my mum was 25 - 35 when she had me and my siblings and even then she says it was absolutely exhausting.

I babysit for a 4 year old girl who's dad is 76. Her mum's only 40 something, but I think it must be a bit weird having a dad who could be your grandad. Still, they seem happy enough so I guess I'm in no position to judge.
Reply 5
there's a difference between just 'being alive' and being active.

how is she going to support the child? what work can a 70 year old woman do?

I realise medical advances can people more active in their late years, but I don't see too many hip grans
Medical science has also increased human life expectancy by 30 years or so in this country, and women still live longer than men.

If the elderly women of today are dying in their late seventies onwards, then the elderly women of tomorrow could live conceivably longer than that. I don't see what's wrong with taking advantage of medical technology.
Reply 7
Aphotic Cosmos
Medical science has also increased human life expectancy by 30 years or so in this country, and women still live longer than men.

If the elderly women of today are dying in their late seventies onwards, then the elderly women of tomorrow could live conceivably longer than that. I don't see what's wrong with taking advantage of medical technology.

read the 'being alive' and being active bit, both healthwise and economic wise

isn't there a point where we should just accept nature?
the child isn't even their own genes [unless she decided to freeze hers in her 30's]
Reply 8
Pretty bad on the children.
Reply 9
Once you cannot develop eggs without any treatment, you are too old to have a baby
I think over the age of 50 is pushing it imo.

The technology may be available but it doesn't mean we have to use it,
if nature wanted us to have babies into our 50s and 60s there wouldn't be a thing called the menopause.
i watched the show and i was in shock.

me personally, i don't think it's fair, especially on the child. you're bound to get bullied and the mum can't look after you as well as a younger one..

on the show, one of the women had health issues and arthritis and all that. she hardly looked after the child, was mainly done by a nanny or the father, and i thought why would you do that to not only yourself, but your child?

i'm not saying she doesn't deserve to have the children but i felt sorry for her because she couldn't pick up her child, wash her or do simple things like that :frown:

That's my opinion, dislike it as much as you may :smile:
If men can father children at any age, why not women?

Nobody complains when a 60 year old man with a younger wife for instance utilises IVF if he's unable to fertilise the women naturally.
on another forum im on a users mam is pregnant with twins, shes 54 and already has 8 kids oh and her and her husband are skint :rolleyes:

personally i think its disgusting
Reply 14
Aphotic Cosmos

What about things like alziemers? (spl?) and other age relatd diseases? Isn't something like 1/4 oldies get it? How would you like to be 10 and your mum can't speak or walk and forgets when it's tuesday?
And then what about playing? The 70 year old won't be able to play in the park? She won't be able to run after her children like many 25-35 year olds can. What about getting up at night and sleep deprivation? Will she be a good mum with that?
It's unfair and neglecting.
I think it's too old when you reach your 50s and 60s.

Though my mum had me in her late 20s, early 30s and people were just as shocked when they found out as it was considered a bit past it, and this was back in the 80s.
fire2burn
If men can father children at any age, why not women?

Nobody complains when a 60 year old man with a younger wife for instance utilises IVF if he's unable to fertilise the women naturally.

could be the fact that its a big strain on the woman carrying it :rolleyes: the bloke has it easy
Reply 17
I have seen it! :O
As long as they are fit and healthy, I don't see it as a problem. My grandmother was running around with the young children in the family into her eighties.
tinktinktinkerbell
could be the fact that its a big strain on the woman carrying it :rolleyes: the bloke has it easy

The amount of women who've now successfully conceived worldwide despite the age shows that despite the strain they're evidently able to do it.

Funny thing is in Japan, USA, Korea, etc this stuff isn't even news worthy any more. People have just gotten over the ick factor and moved on.

Latest

Trending

Trending