Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

being vegetarian watch

Announcements

Please anon/delete.

I started being vegetarian around a year and a half ago, when I was 15 (I'm 16 now).
    I'm really worried that maybe the lack of protein in my diet is stunting my growth, effecting my health and causing me to be weak and tired a lot of the time (I've noticed that I'm ill a lot more often than i used to be).
    I also have stretch mark problems on my breasts, and I've heard that a lack of protein can make them worse.
    It makes some social situations awkward aswell, such as eating out with friends, or when people ask me my reasons for being veggy.
    The obvious answer would be to just quit being vegetarian, but it's so much a part of my life now that I couldn't imagine ever eating meat again.
    I'm not sure what I'm asking here, but if anyone has been/is in this situation, any advice would really be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Soya?

ReputationRep:
    Eat more protein...Good sources of protein for vegetarians include nuts and seeds, pulses, soya products (tofu, soya milk and textured soya protein such as soya mince), cereals (wheat, oats, and rice), free-range eggs and some dairy products (milk, cheese and yoghurt).

(Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Soya?
    I do eat that, but I'm still having all these problems. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that it is a lack of protein that is causing your problems?

ReputationRep:
    Eat more protein. If you are eating enough and still have these problems, there is clearly a different cause. There is no reason you can't be healthy and vegetarian.
    I don't see why it should make situations akward, unless you are eating with people who are judgmental about your choice or they way you put across your reasons are judgmental, in which case vegetarianism isn't your problem. I used to be vegan and never had that problem when eating out with friends, if anything it's a conversation point.

ReputationRep:
    nuts = protien. i know that much. you can get cream from a docter for strech marks, don't worry about showing them as it's confidential

(Original post by OrmondDrone)
    How do you know that it is a lack of protein that is causing your problems?
    Well, I don't, it's just the only thing I can think of, and because some things that I've read seem to point to this being the problem..

ReputationRep:
    I've just stopped being vegetarian after 8 years!!
    Yes it definately makes you lack energy!!! I've found it hard to even do homework because of it! A lack of iron, b12 and possibly omega makes it hard to function. I felt tired literally ALL the time.
    I've had to stop because i realised it was either be veggie or fail my a levels from being too tired to work and not get in my unis!!
    Think of it this way though if it helps, all the extra money you spend on quorn etc - give it to an animal charity.

Having not been vegetarian for a month now i can say it has improved my skin and i hardly feel lethargic or anything. I have strength aswell which is good as everyone used to say i was weak aswell! I tended to stay in the background of social situations aswell just cos i felt tired but now im the opposite.
    I was like you thinking ill never eat meat again but for now it seems the best option. But maybe when i don't have exams or anything when im older ill do it again.
    Of course you can take flaxseed powder for iron, omega tablets and drink pure fruit smoothies for b12 but there is more than that meat gives you but depends how tired you feel etc i would say.

(Original post by amylase55)
    Yes it definitely makes you lack energy!!! I've found it hard to even do homework because of it! A lack of iron, b12 and possibly omega makes it hard to function. I felt tired literally ALL the time.
    I've had to stop because i realised it was either be veggie or fail my a levels from being too tired to work and not get in my unis!!
    Think of it this way though if it helps, all the extra money you spend on quorn etc - give it to an animal charity.
    Thanks for your post, it helps to read one from someone who was actually vegetarian.
    How did you just start eating meat again, as in, how did you make yourself even have the first mouthful?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it definitely makes you lack energy!!! I've found it hard to even do homework because of it! A lack of iron, b12 and possibly omega makes it hard to function. I felt tired literally ALL the time.
    Vegetarianism.

You are doing it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested to know how it has made social situations awkward. I'm been a vegetarian for eight years and there's been very few occasions when it has caused me problems. Most restaurants have vegetarian options and it's not hard to prepare vegetarian meals. It can be annoying when people ask you why you're vegetarian all the time, but just tell them!

It is possible that being vegetarian is stunting your growth, as I am quite a bit shorter than the rest of my family. However, as long as you monitor your protein intake there's no reason why you can't eat as much as a meat eater. I also had an eating problem in my early/mid teens so it might not be entirely down to vegetarianism.

(Original post by Natasha_c)
    Eat more protein. If you are eating enough and still have these problems, there is clearly a different cause. There is no reason you can't be healthy and vegetarian.
    I don't see why it should make situations akward, unless you are eating with people who are judgmental about your choice or they way you put across your reasons are judgmental, in which case vegetarianism isn't your problem. I used to be vegan and never had that problem when eating out with friends, if anything it's a conversation point.
    Well, my close friends are fine with it and respect it, but it makes eating out with new people awkward if they don't already know about it. In my area I'm definitely in the minority (around three people that I know of in my entire school are veggie), so people just view it as weird.

ReputationRep:

Fail - You spending the money you were spending on quarn, now on other food.
    Fail a levels by becomg vegie?... clearly doing it wrong.

Lots of eggs, vegie meats and maby some pill supliments?
    As for social situations, I dought its that much of a problem.

But if being vegie isnt for you, you can slowly supliment your diet with meat and still not be an all out "meat eater"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I'm interested to know how it has made social situations awkward. I'm been a vegetarian for eight years and there's been very few occasions when it has caused me problems. Most restaurants have vegetarian options and it's not hard to prepare vegetarian meals. It can be annoying when people ask you why you're vegetarian all the time, but just tell them!

It is possible that being vegetarian is stunting your growth, as I am quite a bit shorter than the rest of my family. However, as long as you monitor your protein intake there's not reason why you can't eat as much as a meat eater. I also has an eating problem in my early/mid teens so it might nit be entirely down to vegetarianism.
    Haha, how weird, I could have written that! I too don't understand why vegetarianism should be causing social problems for the OP as nearly everywhere offers vegetarian options, and asking whether or not you're vegetarian is only being nice and showing an interest.

I'm short too, but have had eating disorders in the past, so :dontknow:

I don't see why you should be weak/tired all the time though OP - are you sure there's not some kind of underlying health issue? Vegetarianism is a very healthy diet when done properly, but it's harder to get away with an unbalanced diet than meat-eaters.

(Original post by ArtGoblin)

It is possible that being vegetarian is stunting your growth, as I am quite a bit shorter than the rest of my family. However, as long as you monitor your protein intake there's no reason why you can't eat as much as a meat eater. I also had an eating problem in my early/mid teens so it might not be entirely down to vegetarianism.
    Well they just give me weird looks, especially when I have to ask in chip shops what they cook their chips in, or ask if the cheese somewhere is vegetarian. That's not my main problem really, it's not something that would sway me to eating meat again.

(Original post by xmarilynx)
    Haha, how weird, I could have written that! I too don't understand why vegetarianism should be causing social problems for the OP as nearly everywhere offers vegetarian options, and asking whether or not you're vegetarian is only being nice and showing an interest.

I'm short too, but have had eating disorders in the past, so :dontknow:

I don't see why you should be weak/tired all the time though OP - are you sure there's not some kind of underlying health issue? Vegetarianism is a very healthy diet when done properly, but it's harder to get away with an unbalanced diet than meat-eaters.
    It's not when people just ask, it's when I get dissaproving looks or people try and tell me that being vegetarian is stupid, etc.

I'm pretty sure I don't have any health issues, I have something with my liver but that couldn't be the cause.
    I have had eating problems in the past, but i'm talking about in middle school, and it's never gotten bad enough to make me ill.

ReputationRep:
    im a veggie have been for about 2/3 years i still havent got hang of the whole get enough protein thing i got quite ill so now i eat fish
    but does lack of protein really make strech marks worse?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please anon/delete.

I started being vegetarian around a year and a half ago, when I was 15 (I'm 16 now).
    I'm really worried that maybe the lack of protein in my diet is stunting my growth, effecting my health and causing me to be weak and tired a lot of the time (I've noticed that I'm ill a lot more often than i used to be).

Being a veggie means always checking you have the right food groups, so eating waayy more protein products than most people realise, along with other nutrients like iron and B12.

Lots of veggie options are just the meaty option with the meat taken out, so you have to suppliment this elsewhere

If you're always tired you might also be anaemic? (because of not getting iron from red meat) - You might want to look into iron & Vit B12 supplements
    - These really helped me

(Original post by Anonymous)
    It makes some social situations awkward aswell, such as eating out with friends, or when people ask me my reasons for being veggy.
    The obvious answer would be to just quit being vegetarian, but it's so much a part of my life now that I couldn't imagine ever eating meat again.
    This one is really just about why you personally are a veggie.

As long as you explain it in a non-threatening way, people are usually really interested. If non, just move the conversation on.

ReputationRep:
    why don't you get a blood test or something? see if you're deficient in anything and change your diet accordingly and maybe take some vitamin/mineral supplements too?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.