Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Iv been a veggie for 5-6 years i think cant remember might be more ( I still eat fish ). Anyway, I have no problems with stunted growth, I am one of the tallest in the year, and my diet has become much healthier since I quit meat and I eat loads of different foods now. But I dont have very big muscles compared to other boys my age im quite weak. Not hugely but less then others, might be cus i dont play rugby or do weights or dont eat as much protein. I don't feel especially tired either. If I was you I would eat more iron and maybe consider starting to eat fish ? Helps out with protein and omega 3

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem (maybe not protein) I feel tired all the time - i thought it was maybe just being a teen, but now...

I hate nuts tho

Maybe multivitamins op?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you're from the Uk or not, but if you are; get hold of the vegetarian Omega 3 capsules from ASDA (they are in the isle with vitamins and head ache tablets).

In one vegetarian capsule (no gelatin), you get your daily Omega 3 (from flax seed not fish), all your vitamins, iron, zinc. Pretty much the whole lot. I really noticed the difference after taking these every day for a few months.

Also, you can get plenty of protein from wheat (gluten), beans, and soya. Even bread. Meat is not necessary by any means!

Just avoid too many carbohydrates like white bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. It's easy to fill your plate with more of these which will lead to a pot belly (believe me on this!).

I would suggest having a word with your doctor; the lethargy may actually be mild depression. I am sure they will give some advice on balancing your diet better and getting more exercise, but will also maybe do a blood test to make sure there is no other underlying cause. Better to be safe than sorry!

As for vegetarian haters, I really couldn't care less about them. Some of the people at work say some really terrible things about me being veggie. If I made these kinds of comments based on religion, colour or sex I am sure I would lose my job over discrimination. But at the end of the day, I am standing by my principles which is all that matters to me.

Don't give up on it yet, I'm sure you can make it work!

ReputationRep:
    awkward social situations when eating out?
    just pick the vegetarian dish, no one's ever shot me for it before. (except maybe in france).
    and just say "because i didn't like the idea of eating meat". again, not awkward.
    apart from the lack of protein thing, it just sounds like you creating a mountain out of a molehill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Iv been a veggie for 5-6 years i think cant remember might be more ( I still eat fish ). Anyway, I have no problems with stunted growth, I am one of the tallest in the year, and my diet has become much healthier since I quit meat and I eat loads of different foods now. But I dont have very big muscles compared to other boys my age im quite weak. Not hugely but less then others, might be cus i dont play rugby or do weights or dont eat as much protein. I don't feel especially tired either. If I was you I would eat more iron and maybe consider starting to eat fish ? Helps out with protein and omega 3
    Your a pescatarian then, vegetarian means NO meat. fish is meat.

I used to be one too, but now I'm a vegetarian, I could never eat fish again, maybe the op couldn't either...

Fish is really healthy so maybe that's why your extra healthy, red meats aren't so much. Vegetarians don't eat fish though...

(Original post by smoker_dave)
    I don't know if you're from the Uk or not, but if you are; get hold of the vegetarian Omega 3 capsules from ASDA (they are in the isle with vitamins and head ache tablets).

In one vegetarian capsule (no gelatin), you get your daily Omega 3 (from flax seed not fish), all your vitamins, iron, zinc. Pretty much the whole lot. I really noticed the difference after taking these every day for a few months.

Also, you can get plenty of protein from wheat (gluten), beans, and soya. Even bread. Meat is not necessary by any means!

Just avoid too many carbohydrates like white bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. It's easy to fill your plate with more of these which will lead to a pot belly (believe me on this!).

I would suggest having a word with your doctor; the lethargy may actually be mild depression. I am sure they will give some advice on balancing your diet better and getting more exercise, but will also maybe do a blood test to make sure there is no other underlying cause. Better to be safe than sorry!

As for vegetarian haters, I really couldn't care less about them. Some of the people at work say some really terrible things about me being veggie. If I made these kinds of comments based on religion, colour or sex I am sure I would lose my job over discrimination. But at the end of the day, I am standing by my principles which is all that matters to me.

I am from the UK, i'll definitely get some of those capsules.
    Thanks, this is really helpful!

(Original post by smoker_dave)

I am from the UK, i'll definitely get some of those capsules.
    Thanks, this is really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    I've been veggie for what... 5, 6 years now? And I've honestly never had any problems because of it. Are you sure you're not just eating chips? Or some other form of carbohydrate/junk food? You still have to think about what you're eating as much as anyone else! Lots of good ways to get protein have already been listed. Google for more.

If you just don't want to be veggie any more and your "health problems" are just a way of justifying this, then stop making excuses and eat some meat already!

If it's not either of the above, go see a doctor, you could be anaemic or something.

ReputationRep:
    Iv been a veggie for 5-6 years i think cant remember might be more ( I still eat fish ).
    (Original post by DaniLou17)
    im a veggie have been for about 2/3 years i still havent got hang of the whole get enough protein thing i got quite ill so now i eat fish
    Vegetarians don't eat fish so both of you aren't vegetarians.

(Original post by anyarian)
    awkward social situations when eating out?
    just pick the vegetarian dish, no one's ever shot me for it before. (except maybe in france).
    and just say "because i didn't like the idea of eating meat". again, not awkward.
    apart from the lack of protein thing, it just sounds like you creating a mountain out of a molehill.
    I think i obviously worded this wrong, I just mean that some people find it weird and it effects their opinion of me. There are some restaurants I can't go to that my friends always want to go to.
    Are you vegetarian ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmae)
    Vegetarians don't eat fish so both of you aren't vegetarians.
    i know its just easier 2 say im a veggie even tho i eat fish im a cheating veggie i just got ill so decided its better idea 2 eat fish until i balanced my diet properly i just kinda never got round to it

ReputationRep:
    Well they just give me weird looks, especially when I have to ask in chip shops what they cook their chips in, or ask if the cheese somewhere is vegetarian. That's not my main problem really, it's not something that would sway me to eating meat again.
    Oh I don't do that :o:, they usually have a (v) mark so alot of the time you don't have to mention you're vegetarian just pick that option. I'm not strict enough to ask about chips etc though, maybe you could try to be less strict rather then cutting it out all together. Although that may ruin the point for you :s.

ReputationRep:
    I think i obviously worded this wrong, I just mean that some people find it weird and it effects their opinion of me. There are some restaurants I can't go to that my friends always want to go to.
    Are you vegetarian ?
    Like where? I personally have never found anywhere that had nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Try eating some good portions of GREEN veg with your meals such as spinach, broccoli and just generally leafy foods.

(Original post by Natasha_c)
    Oh I don't do that :o:, they usually have a (v) mark so alot of the time you don't have to mention you're vegetarian just pick that option. I'm not strict enough to ask about chips etc though, maybe you could try to be less strict rather then cutting it out all together. Although that may ruin the point for you :s.
    There are a lot of places that don't have the vs on the menu, such as restaurants in pubs, and in some cafes. I personally don't see the point in cutting out meat and then eating chips which have been cooked in beef drippings, so I guess im a 'strict' vegetarian.

(Original post by Natasha_c)
    Like where? I personally have never found anywhere that had nothing.
    Mcdonalds, KFC, greggs..

ReputationRep:
    lol at the replies on this thread :lol:

being veggie isnt a big deal. Ive been one since I was two and I havent died yet. Go see a doctor if youre worried instead of deciding for yourself what the problem could be

(Original post by -XxX-)
    lol at the replies on this thread :lol:

being veggie isnt a big deal. Ive been one since I was two and I havent died yet. Go see a doctor if youre worried instead of deciding for yourself what the problem could be
    I will do.
    And i know, I regret making it now, lol.

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of places that don't have the vs on the menu, such as restaurants in pubs, and in some cafes. I personally don't see the point in cutting out meat and then eating chips which have been cooked in beef drippings, so I guess im a 'strict' vegetarian.

Mcdonalds, KFC, greggs..
    Fair enough about KFC and Mcyd's I never eat at either anyway and luckily none of my friends make me :p: , what’s wrong with greggs there's loads of options there.

To be fair you don’t have to eat at fast food places anyway, it's not like a restaurant where you'll feel left out and many people would choose not to eat at those places for health reasons so you're not on your own. Just get a sandy for boots or somewhere if you're out all day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Fail - You spending the money you were spending on quarn, now on other food.
    Fail a levels by becomg vegie?... clearly doing it wrong.

Lots of eggs, vegie meats and maby some pill supliments?
    As for social situations, I dought its that much of a problem.

But if being vegie isnt for you, you can slowly supliment your diet with meat and still not be an all out "meat eater"
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    it shouldnt stunt your growth, you must have a lack of protein, my dad is over 6ft, my brother is 5ft 8, and im 5ft 6 and we're all vegetarians. my whole family are vegetarian and they are a mixture of heights

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.