Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

being vegetarian watch

Announcements

(Original post by Natasha_c)
    Fair enough about KFC and Mcyd's I never eat at either anyway and luckily none of my friends make me :p: , what’s wrong with greggs there's loads of options there.

To be fair you don’t have to eat at fast food places anyway, it's not like a restaurant where you'll feel left out and many people would choose not to eat at those places for health reasons so you're not on your own. Just get a sandy for boots or somewhere if you're out all day...
    I guess this is a problem caused by some of my friends. Most of them understand and we can go somewhere that sells vegetarian things, but some make sure we head straight to a fast food place and don't bother to come with me to get a sandwich or something. I admit its not a huge problem, I didn't word this correctly in my op.
    With Greggs theres only the pizza thing and the cheese and onion pasty, and i'm not sure about the pastry/cheese and would rather not risk it

ReputationRep:
    try just eating more quorn and meat substitutes, and supplements like other people have suggested.

ReputationRep:
    You know it's a myth that vegetarians don't eat enough protein right? Most people eat A LOT more protein than they need.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've been vegetarian my whole life, am 6 ft 1 and am almost certainly ill less than almost all of my meat-eating friends :p:. If your friends make it awkward deliberately then they are *****, if not tell them you'd like to go elsewhere. Fast-food shouldn't be a problem because other than possibly KFC (never been in there) everywhere does veggie stuff, even kebab shops :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amylase55)
    I've just stopped being vegetarian after 8 years!!
    Yes it definitely makes you lack energy!!! I've found it hard to even do homework because of it! A lack of iron, b12 and possibly omega makes it hard to function. I felt tired literally ALL the time.
    I've had to stop because i realised it was either be veggie or fail my a levels from being too tired to work and not get in my unis!!
    Think of it this way though if it helps, all the extra money you spend on quorn etc - give it to an animal charity.

Having not been vegetarian for a month now i can say it has improved my skin and i hardly feel lethargic or anything. I have strength aswell which is good as everyone used to say i was weak aswell! I tended to stay in the background of social situations aswell just cos i felt tired but now im the opposite.
    I was like you thinking ill never eat meat again but for now it seems the best option. But maybe when i don't have exams or anything when im older ill do it again.
    Of course you can take flaxseed powder for iron, omega tablets and drink pure fruit smoothies for b12 but there is more than that meat gives you but depends how tired you feel etc i would say.
    Ridiculous post. For a start, the idea of a vegetarian diet is to replace the iron, B12, and omega with other foods to ensure you've got all the vital supplements you need. You can easily find lists of these on tinternet.

But that wasn't the stupid bit. Saying 'maybe I'll start being vegetarian again when I've got no exams' is ridiculous, and goes against all vegetarian principles. You can't just come and go as you please fool.

(Original post by Mithra)
    I've been vegetarian my whole life, am 6 ft 1 and am almost certainly ill less than almost all of my meat-eating friends :p:. If your friends make it awkward deliberately then they are *****, if not tell them you'd like to go elsewhere. Fast-food shouldn't be a problem because other than possibly KFC (never been in there) everywhere does veggie stuff, even kebab shops :p:.
    I just got the idea that it may have been stunting my growth since all the other women in my family are over 5"10, and I'm still only 5"6.
    Yeah, some of them are really. I'm just scared to order anything from those kinds of places since I don't know what its been cooked in or if all the ingredients are 100% vegetarian etc
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just got the idea that it may have been stunting my growth since all the other women in my family are over 5"10, and I'm still only 5"6.
    Yeah, some of them are really. I'm just scared to order anything from those kinds of places since I don't know what its been cooked in or if all the ingredients are 100% vegetarian etc
    If there is a vegetarian symbol next to their name on the menu thing on the wall then I believe they have to be 100% vege (i.e. cooked in separate oil etc.), since this is why the spicy bean burger at Burger king doesn't, because they cook it in the same place as the meat ones (something I don't personally care about, so I'm fine with it, but I've been warned that several times ).

ReputationRep:
    Iv been a veggie for 5-6 years i think cant remember might be more ( I still eat fish ). Anyway, I have no problems with stunted growth, I am one of the tallest in the year, and my diet has become much healthier since I quit meat and I eat loads of different foods now. But I dont have very big muscles compared to other boys my age im quite weak. Not hugely but less then others, might be cus i dont play rugby or do weights or dont eat as much protein. I don't feel especially tired either. If I was you I would eat more iron and maybe consider starting to eat fish ? Helps out with protein and omega 3
    you are not a eggie if you eat fish so don't call yourself one cheers

OP, i'm not sure. Try suppliments?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Olivia about supplements.
    I've been veggie from birth and there is a large range of tasty foods you can try, being weak btw is probably an iron deficiency.

ReputationRep:
    I think i obviously worded this wrong, I just mean that some people find it weird and it effects their opinion of me. There are some restaurants I can't go to that my friends always want to go to.
    Are you vegetarian ?
    Yes I am, for nearly 8 years now. And even places that aren't great for vegetarian selection will usually modify stuff if you ask. I still get my favourite Chinese takeaway, just without meat.
    And if people find it weird, I think they're weird!
    I've only ever had trouble on France and America. the French were very unaccomodating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midpikyrozziy)
    Ridiculous post. For a start, the idea of a vegetarian diet is to replace the iron, B12, and omega with other foods to ensure you've got all the vital supplements you need. You can easily find lists of these on tinternet.

But that wasn't the stupid bit. Saying 'maybe I'll start being vegetarian again when I've got no exams' is ridiculous, and goes against all vegetarian principles. You can't just come and go as you please fool.
    EXCUSE ME. But that was VERY uncalled for....
    I am a very strong believer of animal rights and i am NOT being vegetarian for the sake of it. It was a very hard decision to eat meat again. It is HARD to get efficient amounts of omega, iron etc from non meat sources. You have to eat insane amounts of certain foods each day to sustain it. Levels of iron and omega in non meat food is VERY low.

And to say ill be vegetarian when ive got no exams is NOT ridiculous because i worked out that in my household the same amount of meat that would be purchased would be the same and not more as im the only vegetarian in my household. and i said i would give the money saved on buying quorn etc to an animal charity.

So dont you dare say my post is stupid when i was been a strict vegetarian for so many years and eating meat is the only way to stop me feeling ILL all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your post, it helps to read one from someone who was actually vegetarian.
    How did you just start eating meat again, as in, how did you make yourself even have the first mouthful?
    I ate it infront of other people, so if i didnt eat it id have them to deal with i just had a few mouthfuls to start with and i find eating meat in sandwiches or in breadcrumbs made it easier for me. Are you still veggie?

ReputationRep:
    I am a very strong believer of animal rights and i am NOT being vegetarian for the sake of it. It was a very hard decision to eat meat again. It is HARD to get efficient amounts of omega, iron etc from non meat sources. You have to eat insane amounts of certain foods each day to sustain it. Levels of iron and omega in non meat food is VERY low.

And to say ill be vegetarian when ive got no exams is NOT ridiculous because i worked out that in my household the same amount of meat that would be purchased would be the same and not more as im the only vegetarian in my household. and i said i would give the money saved on buying quorn etc to an animal charity.

So dont you dare say my post is stupid when i was been a strict vegetarian for so many years and eating meat is the only way to stop me feeling ILL all the time.

So everyone ate less mean because you started eating meat?

Quorn shouldn't be more expensive than meat products either...

ReputationRep:

Now I'll apologise for calling you a fool. Perhaps that was a little over the top. But the rest of my post I stand by. I'm sorry, but millions of vegetarians worldwide manage to get by on the diet without 'feeling ILL all the time', and if you feel this way then there is something seriously wrong with you, and I suggest you see a doctor/nutritionist.

All I'm saying is, as I am a vegetarian due to moral reasons, I wouldn't be able to switch between vegetarianism and non-vegetarianism as I please, no matter what the circumstances.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

No.. its not

and

No.. you don't

ReputationRep:
    I started being vegetarian around a year and a half ago, when I was 15 (I'm 16 now).
    I'm really worried that maybe the lack of protein in my diet is stunting my growth, effecting my health and causing me to be weak and tired a lot of the time (I've noticed that I'm ill a lot more often than i used to be).
    I also have stretch mark problems on my breasts, and I've heard that a lack of protein can make them worse.
    Being veggie won't automatically cause this - an unhealthy diet, however, might. Cutting any food group out of your diet means that you have to find some substitute - and there certainly are a large number of substitutes. It's not difficult to be veggie and perfectly healthy (try not to listen to the replies that have said "yeah, being veggie made me feel so ill too!" - it didn't, the poor diet did).

Make sure you're getting enough protein - soya, quorn, eggs, nuts, seeds - and enough iron - leafy, green vegetables (with multivitamins with added iron, if you must) - and you should be absolutely fine.
    Maybe you need to have another look through your diet, work out where you can increase various nutrients.

A friend of mine became veggie but gave up after a few months - problem was, he was living off cereal, cheese sandwiches, and quorn sausages and frozen chips. It was natural that he was going to get bored and very unhealthy.

As for the social thing, I don't see why it should be a problem. If people have issues, let them have issues. There are some very stupid people in the world; if people are going to get that worked up about somebody else's diet, leave them be.

ReputationRep:
    This is getting ridiculous!!!! why are people getting rude to me!?!?!?! all im saying is, personally, i have felt really tired all the time and ill from not eating meat. I should probably point out that this was WITHOUT iron, omega tablets etc. NOW STOP GETTING RUDE.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This is getting ridiculous!!!! why are people getting rude to me!?!?!?! all im saying is, personally, i have felt really tired all the time and ill from not eating meat. I should probably point out that this was WITHOUT iron, omega tablets etc. NOW STOP GETTING RUDE.
    Because you are perpetuating the utter ******** that you have to take supplement tablets or eat weirdly/loads to survive on a vegetarian diet which is frankly just wrong. If you had to change back to eating meat then fair enough, but it was nothing to do with being vegetarian directly, you just had a poor diet or your body personally couldn't handle it so stop telling people that 'ooh you're really ill and unhealthy all the time as a vegetarian'.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't being rude (at least, I wasn't intending to), but I was trying to make the point in my post that a poor diet leads to feeling rubbish, not being vegetarian. The fact that one is vegetarian and is feeling rubbish is irrelevant, apart from the fact that they are cutting out a food group and not supplying their body with adequate replacement.

ReputationRep:
    All im trying to say is that personally i have struggled to be healthy and vegetarian, someone else could have come on here and said theyve had no problems with it and i would not have said anything. Im just giving my experience which the op was also experiencing!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.