Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking biology, chemistry, sociology, and history. (I really wanted pyschology but its in the same box as biology. Grr)
    The thing is i don't know if i'm smart enough to take biology or chemistry? I'm only doing double award (GCSE), and I got an A. .
    So the fact I only do double, and that i didn't do amazingly well at my first GCSE make me think I shouldn't do it.
    But, I really like chemistry, and biology when I get past all the issues.
    So do you think someone of my capability could do it?

btw, i live in Wales so my GCSE was under the WJEC.

Thankyouu (:

ReputationRep:
    1. What are your predicted/gcse results?
    2. What do you want to do at uni?
    3. What are your areas of interest?
    Thank you OP.

ReputationRep:
    not to put you off or anything, but i had the same kinda thing. I thought i was ok at chemistry, got an A in my science overall, i thought i would be ok but i really wasn't. i found it really hard, because i am not really a sciencey person, much better at essays. And i got a D at the end of my A level. So unless your quite mathy I would advise against it

ReputationRep:
    Considering you got an A, which is good, and you really enjoy them, then I would definitely say you are capable! I do biology and chemistry, and I'm enjoying both of them.

Also, I would advise you not to take sociology. Biology, chemistry, and history are three good, strong subjects, and imo sociology just brings them down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kanakaredes)
    I was thinking biology, chemistry, sociology, and history. (I really wanted pyschology but its in the same box as biology. Grr)
    The thing is i don't know if i'm smart enough to take biology or chemistry? I'm only doing double award (GCSE), and I got an A. .
    So the fact I only do double, and that i didn't do amazingly well at my first GCSE make me think I shouldn't do it.
    But, I really like chemistry, and biology when I get past all the issues.
    So do you think someone of my capability could do it?

btw, i live in Wales so my GCSE was under the WJEC.

Thankyouu (:
    What issues do you have? The fact you're only doing Double Award and only got got an A.

An A is still a very good grade and some schools don't even offer Triple Science.

Imo, it sounds like you'd be able to cope perfectly well with Biology and Chemistry, especially if you like them! That's always a bonus.

History is excellent, but then I'm biased :p:

The only one I'd question is Sociology but you have three other solid, respectable A Levels. Whether fairly or not, Sociology is sometimes seen as easier than more traditional subjects. Is your heart set on it, or is there anything else you'd enjoy? It's a fourth subject so not too much of an issue anyway and if you think you'll love it, what does it matter what unis think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    1. What are your predicted/gcse results?
    2. What do you want to do at uni?
    3. What are your areas of interest?
    Thank you OP.
    I'm predicted A*'s, A's, and one or two b's/c's (in welsh,art, and maths).
    I'm not sure what I want to do, but I'm interested in something to do with pyschology, occupational therapy, or forensics.

ReputationRep:
    If you got an A in Biology and Chemistry, and you really like them, then you're perfectly able to do it at A-level. The difference between Double and Triple is negligible - it's only an additional unit that you cover again at A-level anyway.
    Knowing what you want to do at uni would help loads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leto)
    The only one I'd question is Sociology but you have three other solid, respectable A Levels. Whether fairly or not, Sociology is sometimes seen as easier than more traditional subjects. Is your heart set on it, or is there anything else you'd enjoy?
    I only thought of it as a replacement for pyshology, and because it was that or geography which I don't particularly like. :L

ps, history does sound good. (:

ReputationRep:
    Deffo do Bio and Chem and Hist...it's the sociology I'm worried about. what about eng lit/another humanity/french/maths? Or whatever you got those A*s in a gcse.. its just you've picked 3 well respected subjects and one not so much one..

ReputationRep:
    For me personally, chemistry is probably the hardest A2 out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nast)
    For me personally, chemistry is probably the hardest A2 out there.

Ahh, i have that covered, if I find it too hard I'll drop it after AS.

Although thats probably not the best/most mature idea. but its all i have.

ReputationRep:
    found it.. when i picked my 2 AS this year i decided this would be a good place to understand what universities will generally want.
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

as you're doing 3 good a levels i think you should just go ahead and pick another one in them A1 and A2 lists, you sound perfectly capable.
    what about philosophy? i do it at the moment and the best way i can describe it is like history and psychology combined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhx)
    found it.. when i picked my 2 AS this year i decided this would be a good place to understand what universities will generally want.
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

as you're doing 3 good a levels i think you should just go ahead and pick another one in them A1 and A2 lists, you sound perfectly capable.
    what about philosophy? i do it at the moment and the best way i can describe it is like history and psychology combined.

Thank you for the link

Philosophy sounds really good, but my school doesn't offer it, and i have no option to move schools, so i'm stuck.
    In the same box as sociology i have drama, art, Dt, sociology, geography and german.
    I did take geography and german for GCSE, but i find german hard, and loathe geography.
    So i think I'm stuck.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.