Turn on thread page Beta

If at all, at what point does being 'grounded' turn into false imprisonment? watch

ReputationRep:
    Say the child is over 18 or under, how does the law regard parents or guardians (or any adults at all) whom keep their children against their will?

ReputationRep:
    FYI Not a child if over 18. Then any period of time is false imprisonment.

ReputationRep:
    wellyour not a child but it would be pretty petty to get your parents done for false imprisionment when you obv got grounded for doing something bad

ReputationRep:
    Very good question. There's a defence of reasonable parental discipline. If the grounding went beyond that, I'm pretty sure it would be both a criminal and civil offence. This won't be available in the case of older children, but I think it may be possible to rely on a defence of consent in some circumstances (i.e. the 19 year old could ignore his parent's instructions, but then he wouldn't be allowed to live there or his parents would stop giving him money, so he consents to the grounding - this will probably be OK). I imagine the age threshold is 16 and not 18.

ReputationRep:
    ffs just take it like a man

ReputationRep:
    lol fail.

grow up.
    and if youd actually sue your parents or anything like that for grounding you, you deserve a gigantic slap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    lol fail. grow up.
    and if youd actually sue your parents or anything like that for grounding you, you deserve a gigantic slap.
    (Original post by DaniLou17)
    wellyour not a child but it would be pretty petty to get your parents done for false imprisionment when you obv got grounded for doing something bad
    (Original post by Stenreh)
    ffs just take it like a man
    Haha it's pretty hilarious that you're all implying this question is based on a personal desire to sue my parents for grounding me, no, that isn't the case.
    I was just interested in the phenomenon of gounding (which has never applied to me) from the laws perspective.

Thanks Jacketpotato

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2010

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.