Turn on thread page Beta

McDonald's 'wrong' to fire worker over cheese slice watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8481827.stm

The imbedded quote on the BBC page forwards, from the court at hand;

"It is just a slice of cheese"

What do you think of this, was the action within reason? Was the punishment justified?

I personally disagree that it's simply 'a piece of cheese', as the judges rhetoric averted the symbolism at hand here, it represents a far bigger crisis of growing negligence on the job, and general incompetence, somewhat representative of the lessening of respect in general society, of which cheeseslicegate is at the heart of.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that the fraction of a penny that McDonald's lost in the giving away of a slice of processed cheese will cause their annual profits to implode when they release their figures.

What idiot at McD HQ thought it would be a good idea to pursue this in court?

ReputationRep:
    McDonald's were wrong. This obsession with regulations and petty things makes for a less friendly and more hostile society. Firing over something absolutely PETTY should be banned, and companies should be bound to an official code and not allowed to fire on very minor breaches of procedure costing miniscule amounts of money. Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Barmy, as if courts weren't clogged with enough crap.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, made me laugh.
    Really, some rules are just stupid - a total loss of probably a penny, and not giving a EMPLOYEE a piece of cheese, says somehting about the manager of that branch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy_Whiskers)
    I personally disagree that it's simply 'a piece of cheese', as the judges rhetoric averted the symbolism at hand here, it represents a far bigger crisis of growing negligence on the job, and general incompetence, somewhat representative of the lessening of respect in general society, of which cheeseslicegate is at the heart of.
    Hahaha. Shut up.

ReputationRep:
    "The fast-food chain argued this turned the hamburger into a cheeseburger, and so she should have charged more."

:facepalm: I find that incredibly silly.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: at McDonald's

They're just being ridiculous, just comes to show why they use the cheapest possible ingredients as possible...every single penny counts they can't accept losing any more than they should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul Bartram)
    Haha, made me laugh.
    Really, some rules are just stupid - a total loss of probably a penny, and not giving a EMPLOYEE a piece of cheese, says somehting about the manager of that branch.
    exactly thats what i was thinking, an employee can't even have a free piece of cheese without getting someone fired? wtf?

i think just saying 'hey, don't give out free cheese' would have done the job tbh :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just shows you how heartless some multinational companies can be.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably just cynical but I bet McDonalds just contested it to get free publicity in the media. All publicity is good publicity as the old saying goes.

Companies pay millions to have their names splashed across the internet and newspapers. This was just free publicity basically. At the end of the day what is paying a few thousand in compensation to a multinational like McDonalds? It's a pittance compared to the attention they got.

ReputationRep:
    Ah.

But you don't understand. That cheese slice could have gone into a burger, which could have gone to a MaccyDs virgin who instantly falls in <3 and thus starts a lifelong relationship, gaining pounds, destroying their liver and funding the 2017 opening (you know, **** road, next to the primary school).

Or you know... it could have been dropped on the floor...

ReputationRep:
    I think we should be very careful here. There are many ways to organise the firm, a top-down model based on managers dictating to a different class of worker is merely one of them. To derive all our morals and perspective on such incidents - from one model of society; is to create an absurd, extreme vision of human experience.

At the heart of being fired over a piece of cheese was the interaction of power politics between different classes of worker.

The Judge was right to restrict the unbridled power of "management". Perhaps before we go insulting workers who make small mistakes we should remember they are as much a part of MacDonald's as the "owners" of the company are and deserve to be treated fairly. If society allows a capitalist internal model of organisation - there is no reason why this should not be modified to reflect a fairer balance of power by the legal system.

It's called workers rights - they're there for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Hahaha. Shut up.
    Hehe, glad someone found it funny

Nice sig

ReputationRep:
    Quit hating on McDonalds. I love McDonalds.

ReputationRep:
    How is this in any way McDonalds----------->>>>> ???

McDonald food looks more like a turd.

and my opinion on the matter. Good for her. @@@@ty job and she got something out of it too. I bet now the manager of the branch is gonna get fired, :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Hahaaa, I always do **** like this, if someone's going on their break i'll give them ike three pieces of meat in stead of two.
    The managers don't care all that much and just put it on the waste count so it looks like i'd dropped it or something like that.
    A slice of cheese costs next to nothing and I'm sure the woman would of paid the extra 10p to get it upgraded if she knew that it would of got her fired!

ReputationRep:
    Bloody idiots - A written warning would of saved them the time, money and most all face - after all it is a single piece of cheese and probably a silly oversight on a very busy shift

ReputationRep:
    omgee they really sacked her over a slice of cheese damm thats stupid sure she should of been told you shouldnt do that but sacked seriously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    I think we should be very careful here. There are many ways to organise the firm, a top-down model based on managers dictating to a different class of worker is merely one of them. To derive all our morals and perspective on such incidents - from one model of society; is to create an absurd, extreme vision of human experience.

At the heart of being fired over a piece of cheese was the interaction of power politics between different classes of worker.

The Judge was right to restrict the unbridled power of "management". Perhaps before we go insulting workers who make small mistakes we should remember they are as much a part of MacDonald's as the "owners" of the company are and deserve to be treated fairly. If society allows a capitalist internal model of organisation - there is no reason why this should not be modified to reflect a fairer balance of power by the legal system.

It's called workers rights - they're there for a reason.
    In working strictly within the limits of a pre-written and mutually agreed upon employment contract, McDonalds hardly had 'unbridled power of management'. There's really no need to spout baseless Marxist rhetoric here.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.