Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, my mate has just passed his driving test and has offered to drive the 3 of us to football away matches instead of taking the train as we usually do. He has an N Reg Peugot 106 Diesel, I think it's a 1.5 engine, maybe less

For our 1st journey we are going from Sheffield to West Brom around a 120 mile round trip, he's suggested £12.50 each for petrol there and back, thats over £35 in total, we think thats too much. Is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaggedyBen)
    Hey, my mate has just passed his driving test and has offered to drive the 3 of us to football away matches instead of taking the train as we usually do. He has an N Reg Peugot 106 Diesel, I think it's a 1.5 engine, maybe less

For our 1st journey we are going from Sheffield to West Brom around a 120 mile round trip, he's suggested £12.50 each for petrol there and back, thats over £35 in total, we think thats too much. Is it?
    Is it less than the train? If so don't bloody complain. It may be a bit much but he has to do all the driving. If it's significantly less than the train then stop whining and cough up, if it's not that much less than offer £10 each as a compromise maybe.

ReputationRep:
    jesus are you kidding? have you SEEN the price of petrol atm? i have to fill up my car with £20 a week just to go to uni and back, a couple of days a week, which is only 30miles round trip each time.

i'd say he's being generous in not asking for more.

ReputationRep:
    seriously? too much? £35 will be about a full tank of petrol, for a 120 mile trip...at petrol prices now, you're in for a bargain

ReputationRep:
    That's just the cost of petrol. What about the cost of insurance, wear and tear and other costs, as well as the hassle of driving there. What about parking too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samw1se)
    That's just the cost of petrol. What about the cost of insurance, wear and tear and other costs, as well as the hassle of driving there. What about parking too?
    yea exactly and the fact that one poor guy is havin to do all the driving.
    tbh op you are sounding slightly ungrateful. personally i would have asked for more from you

ReputationRep:
    That sounds cheap! Very cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilina)
    yea exactly and the fact that one poor guy is havin to do all the driving.
    tbh op you are sounding slightly ungrateful. personally i would have asked for more from you
    Certainly annoys me when I'm doing a 200 mile trip for me and 3 others who only offer to pay 1/4 of the petrol cost each

ReputationRep:
    That's very fair I'd say. £38 gives me 240 miles.

ReputationRep:

If I were your friend, you would be getting the bus or train. Not only is £12.50 peanuts, it is also incredibly boring to drive. Why not do the decent thing and bung him £50 each.

ReputationRep:
    Diesel's a lot more expensive than petrol, and prices are ridiculously high at the moment. You've got yourself a bargain there. Plus, he's doing all the driving, and he can't have a beer afterwards. I wouldn't complain.

ReputationRep:
    pretty decent price seriously complaining about £12.50?

ReputationRep:
    What really bugs me is when I take a carload (about 10 people not including me for my car) and I ask them for 2 or 3 quid each for a 50 mile round trip and some of them just don't cough up. I tell them in advance and tell them again in the car and some of them just keep quiet and don't pay up. That's not even including the ones that drop a 50p and a couple of 20ps in my hand and say 'sorry mate'. Just for reference, we were staying the night at a friend's in the town we were going to so it would have been £5 there and £5 back the next day on the train. Most of us had college so it would have been £10 if we'd got the train in time for college. Bit of a piss take really.

ReputationRep:

My rough calculation would give a fuel cost of £12.22 total for 120 miles at 50mpg with diesel at £1.12 per litre. Of course I may have gone wrong somewhere, and that is only based upon estimates, but as others have said, fuel cost isn't the only consideration in sharing the costs.

I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be though having someone who "has just passed his driving test" driving 120 miles to a football match with his mates. He really might well advised to gain experience on his own in less stressful situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adambro)
    My rough calculation would give a fuel cost of £12.22 total for 120 miles at 50mpg with diesel at £1.12 per litre. Of course I may have gone wrong somewhere, and that is only based upon estimates, but as others have said, fuel cost isn't the only consideration in sharing the costs.

I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be though having someone who "has just passed his driving test" driving 120 miles to a football match with his mates. He really might well advised to gain experience on his own in less stressful situations.

a fair point

ReputationRep:

Not really stressful :confused: I drove a fully loaded Land Rover with 5 (6 people on the way home, not sure how we managed that) people 200 miles round trip to a festival a month or two after I passed my test and it was fine. Music cranked up and everyone singing/talking and we just sat in the slow lane taking it easy apart from the odd excitement of overtaking a lorry and the M5/M4 junction just North of Bristol to negotiate.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys, my family don't have a car, i don't have any past experience, I was just making sure we weren't getting ripped off, i apologise if i seemed ungrateful.

As it turns out we'll probably end up on the train, only £10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Not really stressful :confused: I drove a fully loaded Land Rover with 5 (6 people on the way home, not sure how we managed that) people 200 miles round trip to a festival a month or two after I passed my test and it was fine. Music cranked up and everyone singing/talking and we just sat in the slow lane taking it easy apart from the odd excitement of overtaking a lorry and the M5/M4 junction just North of Bristol to negotiate.
    no offence, but that's not really something to brag about.

everyone handles driving differently. personally i would never have been able to drive up to sheffield 120 miles with three other people in the car having only recently passed my test. not through lack of ability, but more because of the worry of going from 0-60 so quickly (and i don't mean car speeds :rolleyes:).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Stressful in the sense that he will have very little motorway driving experience, the additional distraction of his mates, and the pressure of needing to be there for kick off for example.

As emilina has said, everyone is different. New drivers shouldn't be afraid of recognising their serious lack of experience problem and plan accordingly to take that into account. It is all about risk management. Trying to make a long journey as a recently qualified driver with very limited experience and a car full of potential distractions adds to the risks of making such a journey.

It is unfortunate that the majority of new drivers find themselves in old cars without the safety features more modern cars could provide but that is another discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Stressful in the sense that he will have very little motorway driving experience, the additional distraction of his mates, and the pressure of needing to be there for kick off for example.

As emilina has said, everyone is different. New drivers shouldn't be afraid of recognising their serious lack of experience problem and plan accordingly to take that into account. It is all about risk management. Trying to make a long journey as a recently qualified driver with very limited experience and a car full of potential distractions adds to the risks of making such a journey.

It is unfortunate that the majority of new drivers find themselves in old cars without the safety features more modern cars could provide but that is another discussion.
    I would say quite the opposite. Older cars teach you the need to respect the machine that you're in control of rather than give you the false sense of security that the electric-everything of newer cars does. My car doesn't have ABS and as a result I know how to control it when the wheels lock. Those who have only ever driven a car with ABS have no idea which seriously decreases your ability to handle a car in low-traction circumstances, the recent snow for example. As with everything else, the more stressed you are the more likely you are to make mistakes. If you get yourself into a relaxed mind-set then you'll be fine.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.