Turn on thread page Beta

If you like them but hate their accent.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Would it put you off? I'm just generally wondering.

I'm not going to name them because that would just be asking for problems :yep: but there are some accents which I really can't stand so I would just walk away, even if I liked a guy and he liked me, because I couldn't stand hearing him speak.

Anyone else like this?

ReputationRep:
    yeah im the same but im not afraid to say which it is

scouse
    some scottish
    brummy

cant stand

ReputationRep:
    Accents don't really put me off - apart from overly over the top posh southern women accents.

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of Cheryl Cole. Kind off puts me off.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Bristolian, but I can't stand the Bristolian accent. Fortunately mine's Welsh. :p:

Edit: Though saying that, I currently have a mad crush on a man with a genuine farmer accent, so I suppose I have managed to overcome that obstacle for the sake of his lovely face.

ReputationRep:
    OK...Not wishing to cause offence (I know it will) but I really don't like the Birmingham accent. It just doesn't sound great to listen to. And i'm sure some people don't like my accent, I can deal with that.

But...three guesses as to where my boyfriend is from...

And I don't even register his accent anymore, he's just this great guy that I'm so lucky to have in my life (i know, i'm even making myself feel sick, but it's true).

Not long after meeting at uni last year he asked me out, and I resisted for a while - not because of the accent, but because we didn't really "click". But after a while I sort of went with it and now, I hate the thought of being without him.

Point being - you can be adamant about something like accent but if you meet the right person, you will stop caring.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, if I really liked the guy then I guess I could get over his accent.

ReputationRep:
    There aren't really accents that I hate. I don't think. There are lots that I love though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ticktockharlequin)
    I'm Bristolian, but I can't stand the Bristolian accent. Fortunately mine's Welsh. :p:
    I live near bristol, but it is a pretty terrble accent does make me lol though.

foreign accents are off putting mostly, such as pakistan, or indian

ReputationRep:
    brummy accent is so annoying, i'd have to try really really hard not to punch them

What about someone who is European but has a vaguely American accent? Good, bad?

ReputationRep:
    i hate very posh accents, birmingham & scouser accents! mine is a southwest countryside accent O.O my cousin from london always laughs at me because to her i sound like a farmer! :3

ReputationRep:
    The only accent that puts me off slightly is the same as my own- posh southern accent. I like it on me though.

ReputationRep:
    You may as well commit suicide, if you're going to walk away from people because of your intolerance of their accent, you really will fail at any sort of job involving human interaction. Move to a cave & get wireless internet, set up an on-line business.

ReputationRep:
    As a Scot, i must say that most English accents get on my tits. Cockney and Geordie are the worst offenders, with only Scouse and Ultra-Posho getting pass marks. South african and Northern Irish are awesome though.

ReputationRep:
    most british accents... the posh ones sound pretentious and the regular ones sound crude...

ReputationRep:
    Accents as such don't bother me, but I don't really like any accents that are incredibly strong or regional. I think I like accents out of context as well, when I hear an accent all the time, any previous preference I had for it soon gets rubbed off. That doesn't mean I don't like it anymore, I just become indifferent.

ReputationRep:
    I dislike most strong accents tbh! South England is the best

ReputationRep:
    it is quite off-putting
    especially if it's a freshy accent/ any others i wouldnt mind much!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.