Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you like them but hate their accent.. watch

ReputationRep:
    No, accents wouldn't put me off, I don't have silly problems like this. I'm not capable of such pettiness :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE ACCENTS, but when someone's just mumbling inarticulate sounds i just can't bear it.

ReputationRep:
    Cheryl Cole is a great example of a good-looking girl but a terrible accent.

Accents I dislike:

North Dublin.
    South Armagh.
    Birmingham.
    Some American accents.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind something like that.

ReputationRep:
    There are some awful accents in Britain alone, tbh, with some foreign ones pretty bad too but I guess at least [for the most part] they can speak another language too which is pretty cool. I'd like to think it wouldn't be enough to put me off someone if I liked him in every other way, but you can't be sure until you're in that situation. =P I guess if it were THAT bad, I wouldn't have fallen for him in the first place, ahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Generally, if they don't have a RP accent, or something hot and foreign, I'm not interested :blush:
    Thank God my boyfriend has the perfect accent, then :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mmm Danone)
    Would it put you off? I'm just generally wondering.

I'm not going to name them because that would just be asking for problems :yep: but there are some accents which I really can't stand so I would just walk away, even if I liked a guy and he liked me, because I couldn't stand hearing him speak.

Anyone else like this?
    I'm sure I'd be able to overlook his accent if I liked him... But bad accents are such an obstruction that I would never fancy the guy in the first place...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mmm Danone)
    Would it put you off? I'm just generally wondering.

I'm not going to name them because that would just be asking for problems :yep: but there are some accents which I really can't stand so I would just walk away, even if I liked a guy and he liked me, because I couldn't stand hearing him speak.

Anyone else like this?
    I'm studying at liverpool...
    A girl with a scouse accent is a HORRIBLE turn off... I really can't stand it a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind accents but i do hate scouse and brommy

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Manchester but nobody round here actually sounds like they're from 'Shameless'. I think I sound a bit northern but not Manc.

I find most accents oddly endearing, especially Glaswegian and Yorkshire (makes me chuckle). So long as it's not scratchy, too slow or too fast it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    Strong Indian accent is obviously annoying. Why don't we talk about the best accents! Such as French, Persian (Iranian) :yep:

ReputationRep:
    i'd prob end up loving the accent :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Some accents can really be attractive too

ReputationRep:
    Get them an accent transplant, obviously. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    why do most people hate the brummy accent?
    like a few have said previously, i don't dislike accents, i just love some of them!

ReputationRep:
    I think girls having british accents just makes them way hotter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Jan Itor)
    I dislike most strong accents tbh! South England is the best
    Oh my god. What is the name of that girl in your signature... ( <3 <3 <3 )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spencerjdb)
    You may as well commit suicide, if you're going to walk away from people because of your intolerance of their accent, you really will fail at any sort of job involving human interaction. Move to a cave & get wireless internet, set up an on-line business.
    Interesting. How would I get wireless if I live in a cave? I doubt there would be signal, plus how could I set up a business if I've commited suicide? I can interact with people when I hate their accents, but I wouldn't marry them.

To everyone else, yep scouse and brummy are the main ones. Killers, especially brummy, eergh. Sorry brummies :o:

ReputationRep:
    I've dated Manchesturian and whiney American accents. If you like the person enough it wont matter well..it wont matter much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukukiwaiyi)
    Oh my god. What is the name of that girl in your signature... ( <3 <3 <3 )
    Zooey Deschanel.

The perfect girl

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.