Turn on thread page Beta

Manchester derby: Huge in the UK or just Manchester alone watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered...

ReputationRep:
    Well it's certainly big in Manchester!

ReputationRep:
    Just Manchester - it caused a bit of interest in our college in Sheffield, but didn't cause obssession.

ReputationRep:
    It is massive in Manchester. Is it as big in other areas of this country like London, Newcastle, Wales, Scotland, Ireland?

Both Manchester teams, are massive teams, and known around the world. Manchester city is now one of the richest clubs in the world. Manchester United, is growing and still is a huge successful club.

It would be massive in Manchester. I wondered what about other areas...?

ReputationRep:
    It will be a talking point everywhere, but not big anywhere except Manchester. For example in Liverpool the Liverpool/Everton derby will be bigger, and in Newcastle the Newcastle/Sunderland derbies are bigger.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think it was a big deal outside of Manchester, personally.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean.
    I thought it would be big just in Manchester.
    Recently....
    It is fact that there is this significant hype about the Manchester derby. Because of Manchester City and the new rich sheikh owners. It has made somewhat more important than other derbies around the UK. It is as if because of this money available to Manchester City, it made into a giant I suppose.
    It is a clash of two giants, United and City.

United has a huge following around the world, and is the biggest, most successful and richest club in the UK and worldwide.

I feel this derby is being hyped more so, and has more significance. Would that be right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    United has a huge following around the world, and is the biggest, most successful and richest club in the UK and worldwide.
    Liverpool are still more successful than Manchester United in England. And Real Madrid are more successful than both.

ReputationRep:
    It would be better to look at it from an outside UK perspective. For example we see the Milan derby as being massive. The Manchester derby is probably the biggest in our country to an outsider.

ReputationRep:
    Very big game but I'm watching the Villa vs Arsenal game which is even more intresting
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's fairly big elsewhere; my pool club has emptied entirely because people have gone to watch the match.

THEY TOOK AWAY OUR SKY.

ReputationRep:
    The Old Firm is a lot more significant outside of football, because it has huge political and cultural connotations.

Within football, the Manchester derby has the advantage of being a case of one traditionally successful club, who earned their place in the tables after decades of talented management, against another who simply bought it. It's symbolically a case of old football vs new football, which probably makes it more relevant to the sport.

ReputationRep:
    :manutd:

I don't know the answer to your question though

ReputationRep:
    United have equalled Liverpool record.
    I agree with the point, until city wins, it will probably be big.
    But saying, it is the national media attention. It must be biggest derby outside these shores. I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    My dad is watching it and I know a few more people who are watching it but its certainly not as big here as the liverpool/everton derby

ReputationRep:
    It is massive in Manchester. Is it as big in other areas of this country like London, Newcastle, Wales, Scotland, Ireland?

Both Manchester teams, are massive teams, and known around the world. Manchester city is now one of the richest clubs in the world. Manchester United, is growing and still is a huge successful club.

It would be massive in Manchester. I wondered what about other areas...?
    no, united is world renowned, city is one of those B clubs that most people vaguely know but dont really care about, like olympiakos or schalke 04

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered...
    To be honest, noone gives two ***** about it here. Its usually a good game to watch but I won't care about the result unless it has significant effects on the teams around them in the league.

ReputationRep:
    It is just not in Manchester, where I live, it is massive.
    I wanted to know if it is same elsewhere. Slightly mixed responses here.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool Man U is probably still bigger than it worldwide, and probably in UK

It is just not in Manchester, where I live, it is massive.
    I wanted to know if it is same elsewhere. Slightly mixed responses here.
    You do live just up the road from Manchester though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    The Old Firm is a lot more significant outside of football, because it has huge political and cultural connotations.

Within football, the Manchester derby has the advantage of being a case of one traditionally successful club, who earned their place in the tables after decades of talented management, against another who simply bought it. It's symbolically a case of old football vs new football, which probably makes it more relevant to the sport.
    I was under the impression Utd got bought out in the 1920s or something to stop them from becoming non-existent like Gretna. May be it was someone else.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.