Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A Crippen article in the Guardian about the care (lack of care) for patients with dementia has lead to a heated discussion with some claiming that students choose specialities on the basis of how much money they can earn. It did not used to be like that. Is it now?

And can any medical student honestly say that he/she WANTS to be a psychogeriatrican?

How does one chose a speciality?

ReputationRep:
    My old flatmate (and very good friend) from medical school is very keen on old age psych, for reasons best known to herself. She's the only one I know though. I do know a few who are interested in Medicine for the Elderly/COOP/whatever PC name you want to call gerriatrics from a medical perspective, but she's the only one interested from a psychiatric career viewpoint.

From what I know of medical students and junior doctors, very few are particularly motivated by money - the prospect of a fat private pay packet is still far far away! I think most people make a decision based on what interests them, where they can make a tangible difference, where they can cope with the lifestyle and where they have a chance of progressing. The money in any specialty is pretty good if you stick with it. The problem with old age psychiatry is that the first two of those criteria are rarely met (or at least so it is perceived). Students are also not interested in something they see as poorly organised, depressing and as much flawed by the lack of social care in this country as it is by the lack of good medical treatments. This creates a vicious cycle, because without motivated new doctors wanting to change things, the likelihood is that EMI care will not progress much in the foreseeable future.

I'm an ED doc. Crap money, worse hours, no private practice, awful conditions, and managers trying to close us down left right and centre

ReputationRep:
    I think the issue is more with Psychiatry than Geriatric-psychiatry per se. When I did my psychiatry attachment, one of the psychiatrists who worked for recruitment for the royal college of psychiatry said that of new recruits <2% were educated in the EU. I think this speaks volume about a speciality that, compared to other specialities, is somewhat less scientific and slow paced. To most students is a anathema to what they want they hope to strive towards.

(The added factor of geriatrics doesn't particularly help either)

ReputationRep:
    Oddly perhaps, psychiatry doesn't have the same stigma on the continent, particularly Germany, as it does here - what went wrong here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_John_Crippen)
    How does one chose a speciality?
    If I had to choose now,
    (sorry for posting in current medics :unsure: )
    it would heavily influenced by Oliver Sacks brilliant books, and not from any actual experience :o:

ReputationRep:
    I would go with what I enjoy the most or what I am good at,these are usually one in the same. Money doesn't come into for me as I know that at the end of the day I'll be doing well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    I would go with what I enjoy the most or what I am good at,these are usually one in the same. Money doesn't come into for me as I know that at the end of the day I'll be doing well.
    Pretty much this. The money isn't to be sniffed at in any field, certainly not enough to make it offputting, so I am far more concerned with trying to make sure I'm going to be happy doing something for the next 30-40 years of my life once I leave.

ReputationRep:
    Specialty choices very much come into play throughout your medical career. Give it some thought during your clinical rotations, as they do provide the best insight you will receive pre-qualification. From a personal perspective, money isnt a deciding factor in the slightest, however to others it may very well be. Orthopaedics has become a very competitive field these days, and who's to say it has little to do with the vast opportunities in private healthcare for orthopods? Obviously other factors play a role there too, such as an aging population with THRs and so forth.

Anyway its late and sorry if that ramble makes no sense. Surgical rotations are intense.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.