Durham
    50.00%
    Exeter
    30.95%
    Loughborough
    35.71%

ReputationRep:
    This is for Business/Management.

Basically, i've recently been rejected by my first choice (long sigh). This has completely thrown me off track and now i have no idea where I should go.. There's pros and cons to each of my options, Durham for example has a great reputation but isn't ranked too highly for business as of yet, so i'm pretty lost right now. The main thing is i'm wanting to keep my options open right now, as I was thinking of going into Investment Banking which i know is VERY competitive. Also it's important to me what the atmosphere/ people are like, as i tend to prefer smaller close-knit communities. I'd love to hear everyones thoughts/experiences. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well getting into investment banking is quite hard if not in the top 10 unis. Also not sure how good Business/management if for it might need to do some extra exams but tbh I dont really know. I would go for Loughborough myself bassed on personal reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x01)
    Well getting into investment banking is quite hard if not in the top 10 unis. Also not sure how good Business/management if for it might need to do some extra exams but tbh I dont really know. I would go for Loughborough myself bassed on personal reasons.

Yeah i know it's hard, i just don't know how hard, I havn't seen any hard facts/figures yet. I've heard of people getting into investment banking on the management sciences course i applied for at loughborough, but only business finance for durham.. not sure how often it happens in either case. Havn't heard of anyone getting into investment banking from exeter, but it's the best rank-wise so i presume it happens.

ReputationRep:
    From what i have heard from people, it is far more important in Business degrees what post-graduate you do and where you do that.

Personally Exeter would be my first choice (It is in fact), it has a good reputation, maybe not as high in terms of general universities compared to Durham, but it is a smaller closer knit community, like you wanted.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter. This may be hear-say, but the social side of Durham is worse than Exeter, and I know you want to go by reputation of uni as investment banking is so competitive, but you will be there for 3/4 years, and you must enjoy it or it'll be hellish.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Loughborough and it's pretty cool. I mean I'm dropping out to do another course but that's not really to do with the uni, its more to do with me picking the wrong course.

It's really sociable and you'll make friends pretty quickly here. Not to mention that the campus is lovely. I hear it's quite good for business too, my housemate does Business here and loves it. At the end of the day though, they're all pretty good unis, you have to consider what is best for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 89sr11)
    I'm at Loughborough and it's pretty cool. I mean I'm dropping out to do another course but that's not really to do with the uni, its more to do with me picking the wrong course.

It's really sociable and you'll make friends pretty quickly here. Not to mention that the campus is lovely. I hear it's quite good for business too, my housemate does Business here and loves it. At the end of the day though, they're all pretty good unis, you have to consider what is best for you.

I know, but it's hard, i'm not used to having this much difficulty making a decision. I suppose i'll be more likley to make my mind up on an open day (i havn't been to any yet!), but in the meanwhile i'd like to collect as much information as possible to make sure i don't regret my decision.

ReputationRep:
    You could accuse me of being biased as I have an offer for Loughborough for English but apparently Loughborough is good for Business, and the university and the surrounding area is not too busy but there is enough going on to keep you occupied :p: It also tops a lot of student satisfaction polls/tables so it must be quite an enjoyable place to be...

You should try to visit the universities if you can and in particular the open days for your course, it should help you decide. I am waiting for Lufbra to actually announce their open days for 2010 - they haven't yet! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    Exeter. This may be hear-say, but the social side of Durham is worse than Exeter, and I know you want to go by reputation of uni as investment banking is so competitive, but you will be there for 3/4 years, and you must enjoy it or it'll be hellish.
    This may sound a little lame, but the social side isn't the greatest factor for me. making friends is important, obviously, but having a great nightlife isn't essential.. aslong as its reasonable, i don't mind much. I actually prefer less clubs because there's more chance of bumping into people i know & i love to mingle . Also, i'll be at queens campus durham, so i doubt the nightlife there will be the same there as durham city durham. I'm still leaning towards exeter atm though, just becuase it seems the best but i'd like to see some sucessful graduates back me up on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    You could accuse me of being biased as I have an offer for Loughborough for English but apparently Loughborough is good for Business, and the university and the surrounding area is not too busy but there is enough going on to keep you occupied :p: It also tops a lot of student satisfaction polls/tables so it must be quite an enjoyable place to be...

You should try to visit the universities if you can and in particular the open days for your course, it should help you decide. I am waiting for Lufbra to actually announce their open days for 2010 - they haven't yet! :p:
    yeah, i've heard a lot of enthusiastic comments on loughborough, i'll definatley have to go see for myself, but the leaflets/prospectuses have failed to impress me so far, i think they need a new marketing team lol.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In terms of reputation. Durham > Exeter > Loughborough
    In terms of how good the course and department are Exeter > Loughborough > Durham
    If you want to get into IB Durham > Loughborough > Exeter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    This is for Business/Management.

Basically, i've recently been rejected by my first choice (long sigh). This has completely thrown me off track and now i have no idea where I should go.. There's pros and cons to each of my options, Durham for example has a great reputation but isn't ranked too highly for business as of yet, so i'm pretty lost right now. The main thing is i'm wanting to keep my options open right now, as I was thinking of going into Investment Banking which i know is VERY competitive. Also it's important to me what the atmosphere/ people are like, as i tend to prefer smaller close-knit communities. I'd love to hear everyones thoughts/experiences. Thanks

Might be biased, but Lufbra is the obvious choice. :woo:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would choose Durham. The university has a stronger reputation than either Exeter or Loughborough. Additionally, while Durham isn't known for its Business courses, you're nonetheless at Durham, and will receive a world-class education. The career prospects in banking are also better at Durham.

If you go to Loughborough or Exeter, it's possible, but you'll have to really shine, and show you're ahead of the crowd to be noticed. (This means lots of internships, being President and Vice-President of various societies, and getting involved in other ways as well.)

As for the comments about social life... It depends on which you prefer. Personally I'd rate social life at the universities as Durham > Exeter >>> Loughborough. But that's me personally. It depends as to what sort of 'social scene' you're into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    In terms of reputation. Durham > Exeter > Loughborough
    In terms of how good the course and department are Exeter > Loughborough > Durham
    If you want to get into IB Durham > Loughborough > Exeter
    soo.... durham? I'm not really intrested in the 'quality of teaching' & all that.. i'm pretty much a DIY kind of person for the most part. What makes you say durham is better for IB? It would a bonus if i could go somewhere internationally recognised too, because at this stage i don't see myself spending the rest of my life in the UK.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    soo.... durham? I'm not really intrested in the 'quality of teaching' & all that.. i'm pretty much a DIY kind of person for the most part. What makes you say durham is better for IB? It would a bonus if i could go somewhere internationally recognised too, because at this stage i don't see myself spending the rest of my life in the UK.
    refer to this, id say durham was slightly better than Lougborough just because of overall reputation.

ReputationRep:
    For all those commenting on the social scene and whatnot, remember that Business at Durham would be based at the Stockton campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    refer to this, id say durham was slightly better than Lougborough just because of overall reputation.

ok, slightly put off by the 'top 6' comment, i would have applied to warrick instead of york if i'd seen this, but glad i've got top 20 all the same. ty.

ReputationRep:
    This may sound a little lame, but the social side isn't the greatest factor for me. making friends is important, obviously, but having a great nightlife isn't essential.. aslong as its reasonable, i don't mind much. I actually prefer less clubs because there's more chance of bumping into people i know & i love to mingle . Also, i'll be at queens campus durham, so i doubt the nightlife there will be the same there as durham city durham. I'm still leaning towards exeter atm though, just becuase it seems the best but i'd like to see some sucessful graduates back me up on this.
    Oh it doesn't sound lame at all, I agree with you. By 'social side', I meant opportunities to meet people initially - it's good for there to be at least a few things organised so you can settle in and feel comfortable. I don't really mind about the nightlife, but I'm in London so that isn't an issue for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    Oh it doesn't sound lame at all, I agree with you. By 'social side', I meant opportunities to meet people initially - it's good for there to be at least a few things organised so you can settle in and feel comfortable. I don't really mind about the nightlife, but I'm in London so that isn't an issue for me!

hehe, i don't suppose it would be! I have friends in london, and life to them seems to be a 24/7 party! i'm abit jealous of all my friends at uni actually, they seem to be having the times of thier lives & i love meeting new people&new experiences- that's the only negative about taking a gap year.. you spend most of it, when your not traveling, pining over going to uni lol. My friends who are on a gap year with me would strongly agree, they're always moaning to me.

ReputationRep:
    hehe, i don't suppose it would be! I have friends in london, and life to them seems to be a 24/7 party! i'm abit jealous of all my friends at uni actually, they seem to be having the times of thier lives & i love meeting new people&new experiences- that's the only negative about taking a gap year.. you spend most of it, when your not traveling, pining over going to uni lol. My friends who are on a gap year with me would strongly agree, they're always moaning to me.
    hahaha just wait til you're piled up with work from your uni course, then you'll wish you were on a gap year :p: You'll really enjoy uni, so I think any of the three choices you have would be good: I still vote Exeter though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.