Turn on thread page Beta

salters A2 individual investigation NBS help. watch

ReputationRep:
    okay so i standardising my NBS with ascorbic acid, and i need starch and 4% potassium iodide as an indicator? How do i make up 4% of potassium iodide solution?
    Thanks Help would be much much appreciated! + rep ofc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxcherry-popxx)
    okay so i standardising my NBS with ascorbic acid, and i need starch and 4% potassium iodide as an indicator? How do i make up 4% of potassium iodide solution?
    Thanks Help would be much much appreciated! + rep ofc.
    I am assuming the 4% refer to concentration, ie 0.04M KI, then that depends on how much you want to produce, let say 1 dm^3, then that'd be 0.04 mol = mass of KI/RMM of KI, find out the mass of KI required, then just make up to 1 dm^3.

To make up less than 1 dm^3, you just tweak the ratio, ie use less mass of KI to still get the same concentration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    I am assuming the 4% refer to concentration, ie 0.04M KI, then that depends on how much you want to produce, let say 1 dm^3, then that'd be 0.04 mol = mass of KI/RMM of KI, find out the mass of KI required, then just make up to 1 dm^3.

To make up less than 1 dm^3, you just tweak the ratio, ie use less mass of KI to still get the same concentration.
    Thank-you!! using that method i got 6.64grams of KI does that sound right?
    Also just checking doesnt concentration of 4% also mean 4grams of solid KI in every 100cm^3? :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxcherry-popxx)
    Thank-you!! using that method i got 6.64grams of KI does that sound right?
    Also just checking doesnt concentration of 4% also mean 4grams of solid KI in every 100cm^3? :o:
    Hmm, this is why probably it is best for someone to check my suggested answer. I could be wrong about that really, but it is always best to check with your lab technician, people who actually prepare chemicals for you guys; they know best about these, trust me!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.