Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heya, I'm wondering if the Strathclyde halls of residence have wireless internet or internet points? I would've thought they would, but it's not mentioned on the site.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    THere's ethernet ports to use in the bedrooms. Wifi isn't that well, and I don't think many or any of the main residences have it.

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Are there any ways to allow two or more devices to connect in halls which are okayed by the IT department?

Also what does the internet registration process involve? If i have my pegasus login, is that all I need?

ReputationRep:
    The halls do have internet...theres no wireless though so unless you get your own wireless dongle or a ridiculously long ethernet cable or something you can only use the internet in your bedroom

Your internet in your room won't be activated until after you have been to registration and got your Matric card etc...or at least thats the way it was when I stayed there anyways but that was 2 years ago now!! Also, I know that a lot of people had trouble downloading things using the internet in halls...itunes etc didnt workl

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, proxy settings on a mac!!! I had trouble last year at first until I changed some settings!!

ReputationRep:
    I am coming to Strathclyde on exchange this semester and I literally just bought a Macbook air (no ethernet port) on the assumption that literally everything here is wireless so it would be there too haha. Does anyone know if this has changed in the last year or two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonbc)
    I am coming to Strathclyde on exchange this semester and I literally just bought a Macbook air (no ethernet port) on the assumption that literally everything here is wireless so it would be there too haha. Does anyone know if this has changed in the last year or two?
    Nope it's still ethernet ports (Stayed in halls last year), however all the uni buildings/cafes/library have wireless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Nope it's still ethernet ports (Stayed in halls last year), however all the uni buildings/cafes/library have wireless.
    Just wondering, what sort of speed is it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi i cant tell you exact speed the internet will be, but to give you a rough idea check this link out
    http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co....tcode=G4%200NG

ReputationRep:
    It appears to vary from 4.2 mbs through to 19 mbs, it will depend on many factors, such as internet provider, type of internet for example cable, LLU etc. But with it been a business broadband it should be good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnybaboon)
    It appears to vary from 4.2 mbs through to 19 mbs, it will depend on many factors, such as internet provider, type of internet for example cable, LLU etc. But with it been a business broadband it should be good
    Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.