Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Polarisation of surface of a hollow sphere??? HEEEELP?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi physicists,

Quick 2 marker for you to help me with please! :]

I have an expression for the vector of polarisation of the surface of a hollow sphere. The question then asks: 'What is the total charge required within the volume to ensure no net charge?'

I'm really struggling - please help!
    I know I will probably have to integrate something, but I have no idea apart from that.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    if vector of polarisation is what i think it is then...

the charge density will be like P.n where n is normal to the surface,

Spoiler:
    Show

so integrate P.n over the sphere's surface

and then that gives the charge on the surface, so need negative of that inside

ReputationRep:
    The charge on the surface, Q = -integral (P.dA).
    Using the divergence theorem, you can convert the RHS into a volume integral. Then you have Q = -integral (del.P)dV.
    So just calculate del.P and then integrate over the volume of the sphere to get the charge on the surface.
    The total charge inside the volume of the sphere will have the same magnitude but opposite sign.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.