Nottingham or Royal Holloway Watch

ZMM
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i have offers from both for management
just wanted to know opinions on both, academically and student life etc it would really help me make a decision ?
La Esmerelda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Holloway doesn't have a city and is just pretty much all campus. But it can be handy if you live in London and don't wanna live far away. I'm at Notts so I'm biased but love it here!
gm15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Holloway doesn't have a city
Yes Notts has a city but its also one of the most dangerous in the UK vs RH being in one of the safest towns in pretty much the lowest crime-rate county.
OP it doesn't matter that RH isn't in the middle of some superhuge city. The 2 things egham lacks are clubs and proper shoping ( as in shoping spree level of shoping)but both can be found close enough. I'm not theclubbing sort but i've friends who go a lot and they aren't complaining.

Department wise its hard to say as a) i couldn't find management on the times good university site when i searched courses b) both uni's use different stats and rankings to promote their department.

Campuswise I don't really know about notts as i've never been. RH campus is very green and has a real community feeling.
Its got this
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/105/2...4456afd614.jpg
Your local parks include the location where the magna carta was signed and oh yeah windsor great park and virginia waters
pooki
Report 8 years ago
notts notts notts. seriously. RH is incredibly dull. Said from the perspective of many a student I've spoken to.
gm15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pooki)
notts notts notts. seriously. RH is incredibly dull. Said from the perspective of many a student I've spoken to.
RH is not dull! You've just spoken to the wrong people. RH is what you make of it.

Just because its not in the centre of a city with dozens of nightclubs on its doorstep doesn't make it dull.

1.Bars/SU/Antidote nights in Medicine
2. Pubs in town
3.Pubs/Bars/Clubs in nearby towns and in london
4. Shopping in nearby towns
5. Loads of Societies and Sports clubs
6. Plenty of interesting people and its the people that make somewhere interesting or boring not the number of clubs
ZMM
in the good uni guide nottingham is about 12 for business studies whereas rh is 30 something,
how bad is the crime in nottingham? i think its the only one thing thats putting me off, i keep hearing about the high crime rate

iv been to rh i loved the campus but i have to agree it looks reallyy dull
gm15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ZMM)
in the good uni guide nottingham is about 12 for business studies whereas rh is 30 something,
how bad is the crime in nottingham? i think its the only one thing thats putting me off, i keep hearing about the high crime rate

iv been to rh i loved the campus but i have to agree it looks reallyy dull
Looked being the key word...the venues aren't going to be open, full and blasting music during open days
Rankings aren't everything plus are you sure Business studies is the same as management? (i honestly don't know)
Crime
http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crim...ottingham.html
Nottingham seems to have double (in some cases more than double) the english average of crime rates in
Violence against the person
Sexual offences
Robbery offences
Burglary dwelling offences
Theft of a motor vehicle offences

And the area covered by Runnymed council has lower than average http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crime-in-egham.html- and you have to remember that area covers more than just egham/englefield green and and as a large part of egham is populated by students (who don't really go around robbing) egham's crime rates are probably even lower.
ZMM
i suppose, but does the nottingham crime rate affect the student life? its alright to go out late at night and all from what i hear.. :s
gm15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I guess the crime rate isn't that big a deal just thought i'd point it out. Still my 1st still stands that RH isn't dull...see above
samanthachan03
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In my opinion, it depends entirely on what you want from a University. In terms of how academic the University is, it would appear that Nottingham has the advantage although that is based on University League Tables and is not always the best representation. Have you had a look at the 'Uni Stats' website? I personally feel that is a better representation of the quality of a specific department in a University.

In terms of student life, it depends what type of student life you want. As Nottingham is a big city and Egham (where RHUL is based) is a small village, there is obviously going to be a difference in the nightlife available to students but that doesn't mean that the SU/University societies do not make up for this in RHUL. RHUL also has the advantage of being close to London although whether you'd have the time or money as a student to make use of this I'm not sure.

I don't think the crime statistics should bear a massive weighing on your decision to study in a particular University. I have been to Nottingham University and Nottingham town on a Friday night and I didn't find the town overly intimidating. In most cities, there are parts with a high crime rate and parts with a low crime rate, you just need to know where to avoid.

Hopefully I've helped a little...are you going to have the chance to visit the Universities? xx
ranaerginbilgic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ZMM)
i have offers from both for management
just wanted to know opinions on both, academically and student life etc it would really help me make a decision ?
I am in the same position!! I want to know which one is more reputable because I want an MBA at NYU Stern. Which one is better for this???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (30)
27.03%
No - I got the required grades (67)
60.36%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.61%

Watched Threads