Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Exams/Education - fed up with it watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am truly fed up with exams. I have been doing them every six months for what 2.5 years of uni, 2 years of A level, 2 years of GCSE and whatever was before that...

I just cant revise anymore! It doesnt work. Over the last 6+ years my revision has deteriorated from months in advance to weeks, to days... To be honest i am just begining to fail these next ones.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Last year of uni is really getting to me - the courses are badly taught, and i cant bring myself to read arround the subject enough...

ReputationRep:
    Just stick at it until the end of your degree, then you're home free

ReputationRep:
    Work is far, far, FAR worse...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Work is far, far, FAR worse...
    thats what i keep thinking... but should that make me happier? or this easier?

I am putting alot of effort (although tbh not enough recently) to work towards ataining a wonderfull thing!!! a job - which no doubt i will have to put alot more effort to find (hmmm... look at this job market, fun times) and is going to be awfull.

motivating! :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    thats what i keep thinking... but should that make me happier? or this easier?

I am putting alot of effort (although tbh not enough recently) to work towards ataining a wonderfull thing!!! a job - which no doubt i will have to put alot more effort to find (hmmm... look at this job market, fun times) and is going to be awfull.
    Run your own business!!

ReputationRep:
    I will be sitting exams for the rest of my life. Fun.

ReputationRep:
    nothing wrong with revising days before (Y)

ReputationRep:
    in the end all the exams and revision are whats going to pay off...you'll realise when you have a good job and lots of money...trust me

ReputationRep:
    hmm really should be enjoying this time of your life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZohraAH)
    in the end all the exams and revision are whats going to pay off...you'll realise when you have a good job and lots of money...trust me
    yeah, except in every job i have applied for, my perfect academic record doesnt matter - cos i havnt been the leader of a football team to show my leadership skills... thus i can't even get an interview

advice to ppl who are doing well in education to get a decent job - when at uni, join a club (preferably something with teams in the name, or at least as a major theme) and then do some leading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhySoLimey)
    nothing wrong with revising days before (Y)
    except when its quantum mechanics.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    yeah, except in every job i have applied for, my perfect academic record doesnt matter - cos i havnt been the leader of a football team to show my leadership skills... thus i can't even get an interview

advice to ppl who are doing well in education to get a decent job - when at uni, join a club (preferably something with teams in the name, or at least as a major theme) and then do some leading

well maybe you could do some voluntary work to add to your CV to get a job...and the academic requirements are usually for acedemic jobs not for standing at a till or whatever.
    Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    ive been thinking of doing voluntary work. have to get that sorted out, might give me some motivation. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    One more year. You can do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZohraAH)
    well maybe you could do some voluntary work to add to your CV to get a job...and the academic requirements are usually for acedemic jobs not for standing at a till or whatever.
    Good luck anyway
    This.

Im doing volunteer work in my 2nd year for the next 2 month but in an admin posistion hoping to gain the skills for work. Hopefully in the summer i can get some admin office work for a couple of months and then in my final year of my degree take on another volunteering admin position.

Some jobs don't even require degree's but skills of the workplace. Degree's tend to be for graduate or trainee postitions often in the field you studied.

Build your CV up with volunteer work as employers like to know that you took the initiative to find work. Come graduation you'll have a CV full off volunteer posts. experience, references and a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Well it doesnt getting any easier. I was in the TA while at Abertay so my weekends werent a party. Maybe you need something like that. I joined the Army when I was 17 and despite all the uni work I just had to get back into combats lol

I stayed in the hub for a bit which helped but most of the time I travelled from Kirkcaldy in Fife. I ended up doing 3rd year from home (Web Design & Development) and on finishing uni I started my own company ontop of having a little girl with amazing profits.

My point is you sound pretty much like me and I avoided proper long stretches of revision but I'm doing already. You might not be studying an I.T couse that you can be so flexable with but maybe you can change the way you look at uni and studying. I was not keen on the way the course was taught. I done it MY WAY in the end, how else am I going to have confidence if I can't trust my own judgement. Not saying everyone should go off and try their own thing no way but maybe you need to be brave and consider all your options.

For basic revision I used bullet pointed lists and lots of them, browsed notes while travelling or watching TV and just never made it seem like such a big task. Not the revision you mean but its better than nothing. Then in the end mate you just do your best and that is all you can do.

Do you or have you every worked in a job like a call centre or factory?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the same.
    I can't F'ing stand it.
    I was, and still am considering going to Haiti to help but my exams are on right now FFS.
    Seriously shud I just say F it and go?
    I already have adequate grades for uni.

ReputationRep:
    So you've worked hard all your life, surely you can do your very last, most important years? Keep going!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WebTechGlobal)
    Well it doesnt getting any easier. I was in the TA while at Abertay so my weekends werent a party. Maybe you need something like that. I joined the Army when I was 17 and despite all the uni work I just had to get back into combats lol

I stayed in the hub for a bit which helped but most of the time I travelled from Kirkcaldy in Fife. I ended up doing 3rd year from home (Web Design & Development) and on finishing uni I started my own company ontop of having a little girl with amazing profits.

My point is you sound pretty much like me and I avoided proper long stretches of revision but I'm doing already. You might not be studying an I.T couse that you can be so flexable with but maybe you can change the way you look at uni and studying. I was not keen on the way the course was taught. I done it MY WAY in the end, how else am I going to have confidence if I can't trust my own judgement. Not saying everyone should go off and try their own thing no way but maybe you need to be brave and consider all your options.

For basic revision I used bullet pointed lists and lots of them, browsed notes while travelling or watching TV and just never made it seem like such a big task. Not the revision you mean but its better than nothing. Then in the end mate you just do your best and that is all you can do.

Do you or have you every worked in a job like a call centre or factory?
    I seriously considered joining the TA - im applying to the navy for after my degree. The reasons i didnt was the recent funding cuts, and simply because i dont really have enough time left at uni to give to it

Thanks for the revision tips - i spend alot of my revising doing examples/past papers, i think i need to do more of what you said first though.

Sadly i had some pretty bad experience with part time jobs before uni - so i have really put off getting one, doing stuff like teaching myself programming and things instead, which is good for CV, but not as good as working.

Looks like starting my own company will be my only option soon lol

ReputationRep:
    If your as desperate as I was in 4th year then you will write PHP until you actually start thinking its a main ingrediant in most food mate. I'd be happy to work with you if that was the case because it sure made me learn more in 2-3 months than a year at uni.

Yes watch signing up, takes a lot of time. With me being in it at 17 made it far easier, 8 weeks training was like a paid holiday. But if I had not I think it could be bad if your already behind with uni work.

So where you from? Give me an email if you ever need some cash and have hours or days to code [email protected]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.