Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think only guys should approach women and not vice versa? Is it the same with asking each other out? Should the guy‘wear the trousers’ in the relationship? What do you think and what do you actually do?

ReputationRep:
    The idea that women should wait to be approached by prospective partners is outdated and only serves to limit their maturity. You never get that in any other area. What next? Women should only speak when spoken to? They should only accept jobs that look for them? It makes no sense. If you want somehting, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invocation)
    The idea that women should wait to be approached by prospective partners is outdated and only serves to limit their maturity. You never get that in any other area. What next? Women should only speak when spoken to? They should only accept jobs that look for them? It makes no sense. If you want somehting, go for it.
    I agree. I wonder what the honest TSR girls think.

ReputationRep:
    i guess women enjoy using their feminity when it suits them, like making us do the chase.

but when it comes to most other aspects of life all things must be equal..

but we must still open doors for them

ReputationRep:
    No, my gf asked me out

And you should only 'wear the trousers' when you're both in bed :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I think girls need to approach more instead of waiting around.

But there's the mentality that a guy will be scared off if you approach him.

ReputationRep:
    If it were only up to the women to approach the guys, we'd do nothing but get ****** all day everyday.

They love it really but are repressed by society into not having it.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say. I don't think it should be like that, no. But I can see why women think like that when there's so much subtle suggestion in the media that the man should take control in every area. Watch any chick flick or read any chick lit and you'll find a woman going 'is it too soon to text? should I wear this? should I do that? should I not say this? does that mean anything?', and it all just adds up to form this overall impression that man asks woman out -> woman follows all the rules and does everything right, whilst always trying to find the middle ground between 'frigid' and 'slut' -> if woman is very lucky then she'll have a few more dates and maybe even start going out -> man and woman have few months of happiness, until woman is thick enough to mention commitment, marriage, children or parents -> man dumps woman and process begins again, after many nights of crying down the phone to friends.

I need to stop reading airport books...

ReputationRep:
    If a guy is approached by an ugly girl, it doesn't matter how good her personality is, he won't go out with her.

If a girl is approached by an ugly guy, they try and look for other strong points a man has. Not saying they don't matter at all for women, just to a lesser extent.

It works better if men are expected to approach. Tbh not many women are good at chatting up men (not wooing men with their looks) compared to men's ability to chat up women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    If a guy is approached by an ugly girl, it doesn't matter how good her personality is, he won't go out with her.

If a girl is approached by an ugly guy, they try and look for other strong points a man has. Not saying they don't matter at all for women, just to a lesser extent.

It works better if men are expected to approach. Tbh not many women are good at chatting up men (not wooing men with their looks) compared to men's ability to chat up women.
    They say beauty is the eye of the beholder. Its true it is a subjective thing. Personally I have been attracted to size 14 or size 16 girls with curves, dark hair and a pretty face. But some men go for size 6 or size 8 blondes.
    It's fine for a girl to approach and ask someone out. Men are being overtaken by Women. Women do better at School and are more likely to find work. Plus they live longer and are much less likely to go to Prison. Just look at any medical school and the female:male ratio is 2:1. Women are also generally better communicators and more sensitive to other people's feelings.
    One of my Sisters works at Lloyds Bank (she went through the HBOS Graduate training scheme). The other one works for JP Morgan Asset Management. The one at Lloyds was working in a very male environment but she is pretty, bright, confident and has a dark sense of humour. She talks very bluntly like the stereotypical northern/scottish male. That endeared her to her almost entirely male colleagues. She is a bit more careful about what she says because she is now in a very female dominant area (marketing).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.