The Student Room Group

Importance of Coursework In GCSE English?

Hey all, I would love to gain an A* in English Lit/Lang and really shall focus on trying to achieve this in the exam. However, I have been just missing this in coursework and I was wondering the impact of this is in getting an A* overall. Basically - how much does it affect the overall grade? And is it vital I get an A* in coursework to get an A* overall?

I'm doing the Aqa Course by the way.

Here's an idea of my Coursework grades so far.in my media coursework I was 1 mark off an A*, yet my teacher said there was no point redrafting it, as it is calculated using marks rather than grades. For my prose writing I got an A*. For my orally assessed gothic assessment I got an A and for my second speaking assessment so far I got a C (:frown: ). I am still awaiting feedback for two more courseworks as well as I need to do one final one.

So how much is coursework really worth? Will hopefully getting an overall of an A in it hinder me from getting an A* overall?

Sorry for the reasonably long post and I appreciate any feedback :woo:
Reply 1
Well coursework equals 20% of your grade, so 80% exam - which means it is possible to get an A* if you have a reasonable A in coursework overall, and do well in the exam :smile:
If you're missing a piece then I assume it's counted as a U, right? Not gonna go into a lecture (sure you've heard it before) but you REALLY should've handed something in. Even a G's better than a U.

Anyway.

I got a C in the speaking assessment, but since I contributed so much (after that :p:) it got boosted again, so you can do that. As for coursework, it can really drag you down. If you try really hard then you may be able to achieve it, but realistically you're probably looking at an A at maximum with a missing piece.
In Lang the cw is worth 20% and the speaking and listening is worth 20%. Master them and you're laughing.
Reply 4
lattywatty
If you're missing a piece then I assume it's counted as a U, right? Not gonna go into a lecture (sure you've heard it before) but you REALLY should've handed something in. Even a G's better than a U.

Anyway.

I got a C in the speaking assessment, but since I contributed so much (after that :p:) it got boosted again, so you can do that. As for coursework, it can really drag you down. If you try really hard then you may be able to achieve it, but realistically you're probably looking at an A at maximum with a missing piece.

Hey, I haven't missed a piece :smile: As a class we still have one more to complete, but it is not due yet and we're doing it after he's marked the next two courseworks. Thanks for the reply though.
blueflame8
Hey, I haven't missed a piece :smile: As a class we still have one more to complete, but it is not due yet and we're doing it after he's marked the next two courseworks. Thanks for the reply though.

Oooooh sorry I completely misunderstood! :p:

Then yes, it's still very achieveable to get an A* :smile: Good luck!
Coursework accounts for 40% of the final mark. This comprises 20% Speaking and Listening and 20% written coursework. Each written piece is only worth 5% of the final mark. The most important pieces are those that also contribute towards the final mark for Literature. These are Prost Study and Shakespeare (as well as pre-1914 Drama, which is assessed for only Literature).

It is worth remembering that the mark your teacher gives you is not final. All schools are required to undertake internal moderation to ensure that all teachers are marking to the same standard. A sample is then moderated by the exam board to ensure that it is comparably to that seen nationally.

Latest