Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be honest. Ever since the Apple Tablet, now the iPad, had been rumoured, I've been saving and scrimping so that I'd have some kind of savings when it was released. But now it's come out, I'm highly unimpressed. There were lots I would have paid more for but they didn't put in.
    One of the main things that attracted me to the iPad was the ability to read ebooks, while having iPod Touch functionality. Well I've got an iPhone so I've got most bases covered except reading sensibly. I can read on my iPhone but for big books and stuff, its just a bit uncomfortably small. I'd also like to be able to annotate and doodle on things.
    So what ereaders are good value for money and offer this? I want something fairly small but not illegible. The ability to play music would be handy - do e-readers come with this capability??
    I don't know much about the ebook reader phenomenon so really looking for your guidance.
    Thanks TSR! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The Amazon Kindle maybe?:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015T963C/...l_1a1t9bh4e6_e
    Or the Sony Reader.

ReputationRep:
    audiobooks are where its at.

the ipad is more than an e-reaader, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Just read up on the iPad now I've got a quick question about it, Can I print from it? This is a major issue for me as I'd happily go out and get the high end version due to me fancying a new toy and I'll sell my laptop for it.

The print issue is a biggy with me I need to be able to print from it does it use Pages or iWork.

I wish I could email Apple regarding all this but can't seem to find a relevant contact address.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as the other person said, the Amazon Kindle (not sure if this is available direct to the UK yet but you would be able to ship it from the USA) or the Sony readers seem good.

The benefit with the Kindle I would think is that it has the distribution method of Amazon's ebooks might be slightly better than others.

Alternatively, I really like the way this Iriver one looks http://www.amazon.co.uk/iRiver-IRIVE...4627026&sr=8-1

Either way, i'd encourage you to stay away from Apple's latest and greatest product as you'll end up paying a ridiculous amount more for something that doesn't cater for your needs any better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    audiobooks are where its at.

the ipad is more than an e-reaader, lol.
    The IpAd isn't even an E-reader...lol An erader without eInk is pointelss, stupid and pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splodger)
    Just read up on the iPad now I've got a quick question about it, Can I print from it? This is a major issue for me as I'd happily go out and get the high end version due to me fancying a new toy and I'll sell my laptop for it.

The print issue is a biggy with me I need to be able to print from it does it use Pages or iWork.

I wish I could email Apple regarding all this but can't seem to find a relevant contact address.
    I actually have the same issue. There is one good thing though - the SDK. Such software or such printing abilities might be added later on (if they are not there yet - which I don't know)

Sorry

ReputationRep:
    Anybody thinking of purchasing the ipad? The question is, is it worth it ?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't consider myself a traditionalist, but what's wrong with a real book? I think theres nothing better than getting hold of a good book to add to my collection :p:

I was wondering also, is there much support for ebooks, e.g. are most new books released in electronic format nowadays (like with music)?

ReputationRep:
    I have a Sony Reader Touch edition, and I love it! You can highlight, annotate, scribble and dog-ear pages, so it's great if you want to use it to study.
    It supports loads of formats, even Microsoft Word documents and you can expand the memory to hold literally thousands of books.
    It's not as flashy as reading on an iPod/iPad, but because it's e-ink, rather than a regular screen, you don't strain your eyes! I think this is great as I suffer from migraines and it means I can read for as long as I want without worrying about the glare affecting me.
    All in all, I think it's fab.

EDIT: Ooh! And to answer your question, you can store mp3s on it too, and there's a regular headphone jack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahsan_123)
    Anybody thinking of purchasing the ipad? The question is, is it worth it ?

No because it simply is not needed or necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatatitla)
    I actually have the same issue. There is one good thing though - the SDK. Such software or such printing abilities might be added later on (if they are not there yet - which I don't know)

Sorry
    Can I suggest wireless printers? I'm fairly confident they exist... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sylarfangirl)
    I have a Sony Reader Touch edition, and I love it! You can highlight, annotate, scribble and dog-ear pages, so it's great if you want to use it to study.
    It supports loads of formats, even Microsoft Word documents and you can expand the memory to hold literally thousands of books.
    It's not as flashy as reading on an iPod/iPad, but because it's e-ink, rather than a regular screen, you don't strain your eyes! I think this is great as I suffer from migraines and it means I can read for as long as I want without worrying about the glare affecting me.
    All in all, I think it's fab.

EDIT: Ooh! And to answer your question, you can store mp3s on it too, and there's a regular headphone jack.
    Oooh thanks for this.

To the others: Yeah I know the iPad is more than an ereader but I have an iPhone for the extra stuff...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splodger)

i imagine it will be able to print, but probably only over a network. actually truly impossible to say at the moment. i'd wait for it to appear in apple stores, then you can just go in and chat to them about it to your hearts content. and yes it does have iWork.

and for everyone saying its too expensive for what it is... my mobile phone costs more. so for what you're getting its really not bad, although that does totally depend on the apps, and things like video streaming etc

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand the appeal of any type of electronic book at all.

My uncle and his family are getting rid of all their books and replacing it with the Kindle, and getting rid of all their CDs and downloading instead

ReputationRep:
    I think because you already have an I phone, there wouldn't be much benefit with an iPad. Also I think the e-ink based ereaders are much nicer to read.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I really don't understand the appeal of any type of electronic book at all.

My uncle and his family are getting rid of all their books and replacing it with the Kindle, and getting rid of all their CDs and downloading instead
    I bet they threw out their vinyl too. :sad:

Apple only make luxury computing products, nobody ever really needs them, it's just they tend to be better built, longer-lasting and generally nicer to use than other products. So if you've got more money than sense then there's no problem, but for the rest of us it's worth exercising some caution. Why spend >£400 on a product that can be done with one worth £200?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    i imagine it will be able to print, but probably only over a network. actually truly impossible to say at the moment. i'd wait for it to appear in apple stores, then you can just go in and chat to them about it to your hearts content. and yes it does have iWork.

and for everyone saying its too expensive for what it is... my mobile phone costs more. so for what you're getting its really not bad, although that does totally depend on the apps, and things like video streaming etc
    Thanks , I just hope that a jailbreak is released for it I do fancy custom themes for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George Agdgdgwngo)
    I wouldn't consider myself a traditionalist, but what's wrong with a real book? I think theres nothing better than getting hold of a good book to add to my collection :p:
    I was wondering also, is there much support for ebooks, e.g. are most new books released in electronic format nowadays (like with music)?
    Nothing is wrong with a real book. I have over 100 books. My problem is SPACE. I have to put them into boxes because I have no space any more. Space is the reason why I went and bought an eBook in the first place.

OP, you can get this http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...eader/7364563/
    It is a cheap one for £129, however it can read .DOC .PDF .ePUB .TXT .HTML. I've been using it for a little while now (read 3 books on it already) there were few bugs with it, and there is a firmware update which fixes some of them and another update coming in February. You can see review of it at http://shkspr.mobi/blog/index.php/20...m-waterstones/

There is also the http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...uctID=34170731 Sony Pocket Reader for £139
    You can check up on any eBook reader by going to http://www.mobileread.com/forums/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness123)
    Nothing is wrong with a real book. I have over 100 books. My problem is SPACE. I have to put them into boxes because I have no space any more. Space is the reason why I went and bought an eBook in the first place.

OP, you can get this http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...eader/7364563/
    It is a cheap one for £129, however it can read .DOC .PDF .ePUB .TXT .HTML. I've been using it for a little while now (read 3 books on it already) there were few bugs with it, and there is a firmware update which fixes some of them and another update coming in February. You can see review of it at http://shkspr.mobi/blog/index.php/20...m-waterstones/

There is also the http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...uctID=34170731 Sony Pocket Reader for £139
    I was at uni today and I comprehensively changed my mind on ebook readers. I'm a science student and have to read scientific papers (PDF) all the time, and I either have to spend a fortune printing them out, or read them on screen and get sore eyes. I have finally found a use for these things (not the iPad), and will probably get one in a few weeks (that sony looks pretty decent).

EDIT: That's me off to bed to read a REAL book. **** you, e-bookers!! :p:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.