Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I keep seeing threads where people get rejections from really good universities despite amazing grades and it makes me think it must be really hard to get into a good university but I find that some people keep pushing me and telling me that I will get into Imperial.

I just wanted to know how hard is it really to get into Computing in Imperial so that I have something to work towards and so that I can polish and perfect my grades and work a bit harder. I'm still in Year 12 so it doesn't matter just yet but I am just curious because I really want to do Computing in Imperial and I'm trying to work out whether or not I should apply there once I start looking at university choices.

ReputationRep:
    I am a physics applicant(no offer yet/interviewed) so i don't really know anything about computing or being successful in getting into Imperial per se, but If you do seriously want to get into Imperial and are willing to show the determination then I'd guess it would be "easy". Meaning that you know that Imperial wants high marks and relevant extra-curricular interests so you will actively pursue to meet the demands. Do your best in school, learn computing yourself, familiarize yourself about what you'll be studying in Imperial if you were to get in, read books relating to computing, visit Imperial during the open days. These things should be easy and natural to do if you really do want to study computing. You will also have stuff to mention in your PS to show your determination to study computing no matter what. If you show determination to reach your goal( Computing in Imperial), passion for the subject and intelligence throughout your application process getting into Imperial should not be hard at all.

Never compromise on your ability, if you can do better then do better just for the sake of knowing that you are doing your best. Thinking that you dont have a chance from the beginning does not do you any favors.

P.s. Being a hypocrite but that does not make the point less valid.

ReputationRep:
    It will be hard work, but if you really want to study Computing at a top uni, I think it will be worth the effort.

Looking at this forum recently, it seems the offers are usually AAA or A*AA. During the interview, lecturers try to find out how interested and able you are in studying Computing.

ReputationRep:
    With the new A* grade I'd probably say meeting the offer is your biggest obstacle. If you have strong predicted grades in the right subjects along with a decent personal statement you'll most likely get to the interview stage. My interview involved solving 3 mathematics problems on a whiteboard - it sounds worse than it is really, the interviewer was really friendly and might as well have given me the answer for one of the problems.
    Don't be under the impression that interview = offer though since I know some people that were rejected post-interview.

Remember that you've got 4 other choices of university and that it'd be very unlikely you'd get rejected by all four since computing at other universities isn't super competitive, so I'd definitely recommend having one or two high risk choices.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you have strong grade predictions then go for it. It's a really tough course once you're in though, you'll really have to work hard. I know a couple of people who did really well at A-level and who are now struggling to get by. Good luck though...

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, getting offer was piss easy. As someone said the biggest obstacle is meeting the criteria. Interview is just a relaxed chat with questions on sorting and one random Logic question. From what I heard everyone is asked a sorting problem. Imperial gives out loads of offers (but they are high! Its A*AA for most courses this year - and A*A*AA for JMC) it is because loads of candidates which get imperial and cam offer choose the latter.

So: Good AS'es + revision on sorting methods = offer.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, for me last year getting an offer was np.

The hard bit was meeting it.

(I had aaabb at AS when I applied, b's both being maths, so a wonder I got an offer, really.)

ReputationRep:
    Getting an offer shouldn't be a major problem if you have a genuine interest in the degree and some mathematical foundation.

Imperial wants to invest in you, not the bit of paper you put your application on. If they feel you'll succeed (or "flourish in our department" as they put on the letter), then you'll get an offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.