Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, well I have a savings account, but I'm getting my first real bank account that I can use, being 18 I thought it was about time.

So basically .. what do I do?
    Just go up to the bank and say "I would like an account please" I really have NO idea. I need the account to put my student loans in, so I need a student account I'm assuming?

What bank do I want to get an account with, what are the benefits of different account by different banks, what do I need to watch out for, like high interest rates and overdraft .. things..

I'm quite ashamed that I know so little about money
    So if someone could give me a general guide, that would be cool

Also, a debit card is one where it just takes money out of the account, and a credit card is one that charges you interest and gives you bills and stuff, right?

ReputationRep:
    You are correct about debit/credit cards.

You want to choose a bank which will give you a good overdraft. Most banks give intrest free overdrafts to students but check out what happens when you graduate (in terms of having to pay over draft back and what the interest rates will be). Also consider the perks which you will get (like Natwest give you a free railcard which is handy). You might find at that they won't give you a student account until you prove you've got a place at university after exam results come through.

Also, you can apply for bank accounts online now so check to see if they've got any online perks, some give away webcameras and stuff like that which is always nice. Remember though, freebies aren't worth having if the bank account is crap.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.