Turn on thread page Beta

I'm sure it's been done before, but it's nice to get some fresh views.

Ok, so we have many scientific views in the world today and naturally, we take to believe most findings as fact, or the best theory possible. A good example is gravity.
    However, in 100, 500, 1000 years (will humans still be around?)....will our current theories be rubbished, just as we have done to previous theories. To use the classic example...it is no longer believed the world is flat.

So, do you believe we're wrong now? Or are you of the opinion that we've discovered and theorised things correctly and that future scientists will still hold the same views as us?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there are more than a few things which we believe to be true which will turn out to be incorrect.

And also, science isn't wholly objective anyway. It's subject to a degree of change. Thomas Kuhn explained this far better than I can (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Kuhn).

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd expect that the 'popular' view of most scientific theories is likely to remain pretty much the same even many years into the future. However, we've seen in the past how new theories are developed which incorporate previous theories within them, applicable to a specific subset of situations. Essentially, the old theory becomes an approximation to the new one in certain circumstances, and I'd expect that this will continue within scientific circles.

As an example, simple Newtonian mechanics work as an approximation to Einstein's theory of special relativity. At 'low' speeds (relative to the speed of light), there's little practical difference in the results of applying the two theories in the short-term, so it's not necessary for most people to use Einstein's theory in everyday life (though admittedly, many won't have use for either :p:). I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turned out that relativity is superseded by a more general theory at some point in the future.

ReputationRep:
    There's a massive difference between a scientific theory and people thinking the world is flat.

ReputationRep:
    There was no real evidence that the world was flat, but there is solid scientific evidence to back up much of our current knowledge. However I do think things will be much better understood in 1,000 years time, providing there isn't a major catastrophe in the human race. Look how far we've come since 1000AD, and scientific progress is moving faster all the time.

No, I used it as the example that many use. I don't want to make a discussion about that now. :p:

I can't think of another example off the top of my head, but I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

Maybe a better example would be the plum pudding model of an atom, and then Rutherford came along....(though this gap was very small etc. etc.).

I don't know.

/rambling

An interesting look into people's views though

ReputationRep:
    Maybe in the year 3000 when everyone lives underwater people will stop with the silly conspiracy theories.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Maybe in the year 3000 when everyone lives underwater people will stop with the silly conspiracy theories.
    I heard you great, great, great granddaughter is pretty fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    I'm sure there are more than a few things which we believe to be true which will turn out to be incorrect.

And also, science isn't wholly objective anyway. It's subject to a degree of change. Thomas Kuhn explained this far better than I can (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Kuhn).
    Your sig reminds me of the time I tried to convince my mum Wilde was pronounced Wil-deee. She believed me till I burst out laughing.

But OP, yeah, I think there probably are things that we take to be fact, and are in fact not false, but have a different origin or purpose than what we believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toblerone93)
    I heard you great, great, great granddaughter is pretty fine.
    I was going to come back with some smartass remark but I am just as guilty for quoting those musical turds as you.

So...yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    I'm sure it's been done before, but it's nice to get some fresh views.

Ok, so we have many scientific views in the world today and naturally, we take to believe most findings as fact, or the best theory possible. A good example is gravity.
    However, in 100, 500, 1000 years (will humans still be around?)....will our current theories be rubbished, just as we have done to previous theories. To use the classic example...it is no longer believed the world is flat.

So, do you believe we're wrong now? Or are you of the opinion that we've discovered and theorised things correctly and that future scientists will still hold the same views as us?
    In a word, no.

Science is still a fairly young thing, so is, unfortunately vulnerable to this kind of attack, however, never before have ideas been so rigourously provable. The basic theories will remain unchanged as long as humanity remains "civilised", with only stuff like quantum theory or string theory being accepted or modified.

It boggles the mind that today in the western world we have people willing to kill for their moon god from a two thousand year old fanatasy novel, which has been shown to be laughably inaccurate.

Clarification: the fact that you are seeing this demonstrates that our ideas are (largely) correct.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding classical physics; I'm not sure if fundamentals such as Newton's laws of motion will be differed any time soon. It's stood the test of time and enormous scientific advancement and it's still as true today as it ever was.

Who knows about the modern equivalent, though, I guess only time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    They are correct for the level we work in but as time and technology progress science will evolve and so will the theories to become deeper and perhaps more profound (spiritual telepathy, paranormal stuff, nano-biological machines etc).

ReputationRep:
    The finer details of complex scientific theories will be refined for years to come (especially quantum physics type things...) But the major scientific theories that these are based on have stood for many years, and will continue to do so.

The earth being flat (or round for that matter) have never been a 'scientific theory' and are therefore irrelevant.

Things like gravity, evolution or global warming are strong scientific theories, to the extent of being fact, but they will alway be altered in minor ways as more is discovered about there mechanisms, and the effects they have.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.