Turn on thread page Beta

Current Undergrads: Student Finance for 2010/11 is OPEN! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else here applying non-income assessed?
    I know for a fact that I won't be eligible for any grant (parents jointly earn too much per year) so that would be the best option for me yes? I have still applied for maximum tuition fees and maintenance loan though.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to wait to apply when I know where I'm going... it will be either Loughborough or Leicester anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amizzle91)
    I know for a fact that I won't be eligible for any grant (parents jointly earn too much per year) so that would be the best option for me yes? I have still applied for maximum tuition fees and maintenance loan though.
    I wasn't eligible for anything this year and I won't be next year either, so I've just applied for non income assessed. If you know for definite that you won't get anything if you do income assessed then don't bother. It's a lot less hassle to do it without the extra evidence required etc.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or is this completely overcomplicated?

I'd like to edit something on my application and I now need to send them a letter, what a joke.

ReputationRep:
    The site only broke 3 times whilst trying to complete my part of the application this year. Must be some sort of record. I like the last bit Survey - tell us what you think and then you click it and no survey loads up.

Still got my parents bits to complete, better get my dad ready for his annual call to student finance to get his account details reset. His account keeps getting locked even though the details are correct they are all written down. My mums account is normally fine.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of this 25 week backlog people are expecting, it is guaranteed people will leave applying til later. always the way! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    The site only broke 3 times whilst trying to complete my part of the application this year. Must be some sort of record. I like the last bit Survey - tell us what you think and then you click it and no survey loads up.

Still got my parents bits to complete, better get my dad ready for his annual call to student finance to get his account details reset. His account keeps getting locked even though the details are correct they are all written down. My mums account is normally fine.
    The website broke 3 times for me as well. And there's a bug in the system which I fell into last year (and ended up with a £0 Tuition Fee Loan and £0 Maintenance Loan) which luckily I spotted this year

(Original post by TheTallOne)
    The website broke 3 times for me as well. And there's a bug in the system which I fell into last year (and ended up with a £0 Tuition Fee Loan and £0 Maintenance Loan) which luckily I spotted this year
    What bug is this?

I think I might just do a paper application like last year to avoid anything happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    What bug is this?

I think I might just do a paper application like last year to avoid anything happening.
    Basically if you're not applying for a Tuition Fee loan and you type '0' as how much your university charges for next year, the following page displays that you're applying for a tuition fee loan and not a maintenance loan (therefore you get £0). You have to enter an amount between 1 and 3290 to fix this and say no to applying for a Tuition Fee loan.

I think that's what happened last year so I then had to send back a form with the amounts I wanted.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know what scottish uni's are charging this year? I cant really do my finance till i know and i cant find it anywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amizzle91)
    I'm applying non-income assessed!
    I think it's slightly unfair that we don't recieve any grants, just because my mum and dad earn over a certain amount but it still doesn't mean they can support me, with it having no financial affect on them!:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coppy)
    I think it's slightly unfair that we don't recieve any grants, just because my mum and dad earn over a certain amount but it still doesn't mean they can support me, with it having no financial affect on them!:eek3:
    Yes, it's the same with EMA. Thankfully I'm at home so I'm not in a really desperate need for money but I can totally relate to those away who would need the extra grants.

ReputationRep:
    I still applied for some assessment and asked for maximum, even though i knew my parents were earning too much together. its rubbish just cos they're earning high doesnt mean we see any of that money in cash.. !!

ReputationRep:
    Its worth applying for everything cos last year i thought I was over the limit but applied anyway and did get a little extra so its worth the effort and letting them decide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coppy)
    Having children has a financial effect on parents! If they won't help they need to sort out their priorities. Most parents find it difficult but help when needed.

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering how long it took from when student finance recieved your application, to when they sent out your Alias ID so your parents could support my application??

ReputationRep:
    I applied for finance for 10/11. But I am having to move in with my dad this summer and will be living with him for the year. This is due to personal circumstances at home. Dad and I have now filled in our relevant applications. They didnt ask my dad to send in any evidence and I have for income assessed finance. They say my application is assessed pending approval. How, as they have not had proof of my dads income?

ReputationRep:
    I Have applied for student finance and around three weeks ago sent of the relevant information that they ask for from parents etc etc yet on my application it says awaiting further information...I am unsure why it has not changed as i sent the letter for recorded delivery and it was accepted so im a bit clueless as to what to do?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me if EU students can apply online?

ReputationRep:
    I've done my side of the applications, jut waiting for my parents to fill out some C01 forms and voila! Shall be done..

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.