Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the difference between middle office ops and back office ops....is it just a name or are the roles different??

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of different roles in operations, and yes many will be very different!

You could for example be on trade support where you are working directly with front office (trading & sales) looking at settlements and reconcilliations, etc.

OR you could be doing something completely different working on a 6-month long project on developing a new process that adapts existing systems to adhere to new liquidity guidelines for example.

So yes, there will be a very big difference in the roles! Talk to people in different sections, get a feel for what each involves and see what suits you best. Though it's not hard to switch between roles within Operations and they will generally actively encourage you to do so throughout a career.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response

ReputationRep:
    The Morgan Stanley site has a great list with brief descriptions of roles in Ops, check here:

http://www.morganstanley.com/about/c...icles/602.html

ReputationRep:
    Very useful as a starting point....have you applied to ops by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    In Operations BO is better than MO. Working on a change project is better than fixing the same trader mistakes every day.

In my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaman1987)
    Very useful as a starting point....have you applied to ops by any chance?
    Yes I have, going to be in Ops at Morgan Stanley this summer, though was considering BarCap as had an offer there as well but BarCap was more back office as opposed to MS where I will be working trade desk support which appeals to me more, plus I really liked the people at MS, they were great.

(Original post by The IC Guy)
    In Operations BO is better than MO. Working on a change project is better than fixing the same trader mistakes every day.

In my opinion.
    It depends on you as a person and what appeals to you! Personally working on long term projects I can see appealing more to me in the future when I am a bit older and higher up the food-chain so to speak! (i.e. in charge of the project!), but right now i'd rather be involved with the trade desks - yes repetitive at times, but generally more fast paced, some excitement thrown in there now and again! Lots of interaction with people (that's why they like confident people good at speaking for this role which is one of my strengths anyway..) and get to learn a whole lot about trading and sales too - very useful as I have also considered sales (though trading doesn't appeal to me) so this will help me make up my mind if i'd rather go into Operations or Sales for my grad scheme. Right now i'm leaning towards Ops but who knows!

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible (i.e.realistically) for ppl in ops to move to sales after a few yrs experience or is it just as hard as moving into trading for example?

Also if they move, will they have to start from the bottom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaman1987)
    Is it possible (i.e.realistically) for ppl in ops to move to sales after a few yrs experience or is it just as hard as moving into trading for example?

Also if they move, will they have to start from the bottom?
    It is certainly possible to move departments, especially if you go into a role that works directly with front office then you will make some very useful contacts, especially if you get on well with them and are good at your job why wouldn't they want you joining their team!

Where you would start depends on so many variables, so impossible to say really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    It depends on you as a person and what appeals to you! Personally working on long term projects I can see appealing more to me in the future when I am a bit older and higher up the food-chain so to speak! (i.e. in charge of the project!), but right now i'd rather be involved with the trade desks - yes repetitive at times, but generally more fast paced, some excitement thrown in there now and again! Lots of interaction with people (that's why they like confident people good at speaking for this role which is one of my strengths anyway..) and get to learn a whole lot about trading and sales too - very useful as I have also considered sales (though trading doesn't appeal to me) so this will help me make up my mind if i'd rather go into Operations or Sales for my grad scheme. Right now i'm leaning towards Ops but who knows!
    Again, just my opinion, but working in trade support is not more fast paced. I worked full-time in both areas before I went back to uni.

In trade support I had much less work and responsibility. Even in 'trade capture', sitting on a trading desk, the work was boring.

If you go into ops thinking you have anything more than a 1% chance of moving FO then you're in for a disappointing experience.

This is just my experience in one BB, it may vary at other banks.

ReputationRep:
    Again, just my opinion, but working in trade support is not more fast paced. I worked full-time in both areas before I went back to uni.

In trade support I had much less work and responsibility. Even in 'trade capture', sitting on a trading desk, the work was boring.

If you go into ops thinking you have anything more than a 1% chance of moving FO then you're in for a disappointing experience.

Are you doing a MBA now, what you trying to get into after uni???

ReputationRep:
    MSc and at the moment getting in to credit risk although market would probably be my first choice.

ReputationRep:

If I decide I prefer FO roles after the internship then I will apply direct to them in a grad scheme, not going to try and move from Ops into FO at a later date, could get a FO role if I wanted to i'm pretty sure. Though if nothing appeals to me from the IB experience then I will go into big oil, working in procurement or project management.

Thanks for the info about the role though, interesting to hear as I got a different idea of it from the bank (unsurprising I suppose).

Anyway, I will see what I think of it when I go there, only way to tell for sure I guess. But from what I read I liked the sound of Ops as a place to base a career (thinking more long term here than just a few years trading!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.