Turn on thread page Beta

"dropping" a subject after offers. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

I have offers, for Maths, none of which include Physics.

I feel I am going to absolutely bomb in physics due to appauling teaching, horrible specifications, and just generally not being that great at it.

I would thus be interested in "dropping" it. I am aware I cannot do this without informing UCAS, but say, if I just turned up to exams and did them, with the potential grade ending up as an E or a U or the like, would there be a consequence? Physics is NOT a part of any of my offers, for further clarification.

The potential to spend the extra time available in my timetable working on my outside of timetable Further Maths A2, which IS relevant to my offers for some Unis, is more than a little tempting.

Many Thanks
    Jordan

ReputationRep:
    If you dropped it without informing the universities, they have every right to withdraw your offer. You should probably contact them directly before doing anything, although if it's not part of your offers then continuing it and failing it wouldn't make much difference.

ReputationRep:
    Contact the uni's and explain it to them. Some don't care and will let you drop it, others will say the offer was under the assumption you'd still do Physics. It's the only way to know, because you are required to tell them.

ReputationRep:
    My plan was to sit the exams with not going to lessons, so I am still entered for the exam and all, yet will get an appauling grade. I am not going to pull my entry out of the exams, so I have not "dropped" the subject, just missed my target grade by a large margin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grodecki)
    Hi all.

I feel I am going to absolutely bomb in physics due to appauling teaching, horrible specifications, and just generally not being that great at it.

I would thus be interested in "dropping" it. I am aware I cannot do this without informing UCAS, but say, if I just turned up to exams and did them, with the potential grade ending up as an E or a U or the like, would there be a consequence? Physics is NOT a part of any of my offers, for further clarification.

The potential to spend the extra time available in my timetable working on my outside of timetable Further Maths A2, which IS relevant to my offers for some Unis, is more than a little tempting.

Many Thanks
    Jordan
    Which uni? just curious

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from Leicester, Bath, and Southampton, waiting on Bristol and Durham. I find it unlikely that any of them will specify physics as a requirement.

Basically what I am asking, is will they care if I miss my target grade in a subject by a significant amount, if it is not on the offer?

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from Leicester, Bath, and Southampton, waiting on Bristol and Durham. I find it unlikely that any of them will specify physics as a requirement.

Basically what I am asking, is will they care if I miss my target grade in a subject by a significant amount, if it is not on the offer?
    Essentially, the answer is no, if you get the offer that they ask for regardless of you failing physics, you will get in. They have to take you on what they've offered. The point is that you maybe you should keep it/have kept it to yourself because it is a bit obvious! and now the world knows what you're going to attempt (slight exaggeration on world, more along lines of TSR)

ReputationRep:
    Well to be fair even if I did push ahead with it I wouldn't get my target grade. Targetted an A after a B at AS, but due to a change in teaching and other focuses, I'm looking at a D this year or so.

ReputationRep:
    Well to be fair even if I did push ahead with it I wouldn't get my target grade. Targetted an A after a B at AS, but due to a change in teaching and other focuses, I'm looking at a D this year or so.
    You shouldn't be so pessimistic. I'm doing the whole thing in a year and I know it's difficult, just get around the concepts, unfortunately one can't do the whole past paper thing and learn by rote with these new specs though. Think about it, what happens if you don't make the grade on one of your other subjects and you miss your uni offer. No harm in trying to maintain physics and make a decision closer to the time.

ReputationRep:
    If you actually drop it (i.e. officially) then you have to contact them. But if you just don't turn up to lessons and do badly in the exam then there is no problem. I am considering doing this for two of my subjects :ninja:. Well, I will still go to classes and do the work as I need to get my EMA, but I won't do any revision etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    If you actually drop it (i.e. officially) then you have to contact them. But if you just don't turn up to lessons and do badly in the exam then there is no problem. I am considering doing this for two of my subjects :ninja:. Well, I will still go to classes and do the work as I need to get my EMA, but I won't do any revision etc.
    Haha, you won't need to revise for the offers you've got! 2 A levels! that's nice and relaxed, I'm assuming you've done one already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarity Incognito)
    Haha, you won't need to revise for the offers you've got! 2 A levels! that's nice and relaxed, I'm assuming you've done one already.
    Yes I did French last year and got a B. Getting two grades is a whole lot easier and it's takena lot of the pressue off (If I'd got into cambridge my offer would have been A*AA - much harder!!). Although atm I'm saying I won't revise for my other two subjects I may cave in and try hard because I'd be disappointed in myself if I did rubbish, even if it doesn't matter for uni :o:. But it means I can focus on the two I need (English and Maths) without worrying too much about the others (Y).

ReputationRep:
    My leicester offer is also 2 grades due to my Computing so it's an easy ride to, so physics to "fall back on" is not really needed!

I like it there and the only one that would go above it would be Bristol, which will likely be an AAB offer, which is acchievable.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

Many Thanks
    Jordan
    It may not be part of your offer/s in the formal sense, but it will have been taken into account. You should check whether dropping physics would affect the offers you have or chances of getting offers elsewhere. I would say that, if we are talking about finishing up with 3A2s of which two are Maths and Further Maths, dropping physics is a bad idea. Many of the top unis don't really regard that as two separate A2s - it may not be written down, but the candidate offering 3A2s plus Further Maths is in a better position.

Oh, and message for the "take it and just get an E" school - yes, you can do this, but it will be on your record for good. Might not be helpful in some quarters, like applying for really competitive grad schemes. So the best thing to do is to aim as high as possible.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.