Turn on thread page Beta

Number of Applicants in Investment Banking watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am currently doing some research on the graduate market in Europe and the US and I am wondering if any of you has any information or pointers concerning the amount of applicants for IB and Consulting.

I do have numbers on the UK from the High Fliers research report:

Recruitment Target for 2010 (IB): 2,172
    Recruitment Target for 2010 (Consulting): 405

Applicants per Vacancy (IB): 101.4
    Applicants per Vacancy (Consulting): 17.4

This makes 220,241 applications in IB in total. Since people apply to more banks at the same time, I thought I normalize this amount by the factor 7 (GS, JPM, MS, CITI, UBS, CS, DB) to arrive at a total number of applicants for positions in the UK of 31,463. Any thoughts on this?

I would need comparable figures for continental Europe and the US, does not need to be exact but I want a rough estimate.

I believe that nearly anyone applying for a position in IB would apply at GS another approach to estimate the total market size would be to find out how many applications GS receives annually and than add a 20% mark-up. For the consulting estimate, the same procedure could be done with McK.

Anybody an idea on where to find those numbers or any thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    Why 7?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.visit4info.com/advert/7-M...ar-Range/81822

ReputationRep:
    Many people apply to both IB and consulting...

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the report and the firms it includes, it only seems to cover a very small portion of the firms in those industries, like the accounting/professional services industry is waaay bigger than the report would have you think.

ReputationRep:
    For MBB, applicationffer(not even vacancy)>100:1

MBB have approx 80 pre-mba spots between them; so don't take McK as representative.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.