The Student Room Group

18-25 year olds job centre group sessions - anyone here been?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Mrvn
It's fcuking horrible. In this day and age, they should know people get fired... not hired.

Unemployment went down in the last three months.
Reply 21
One of the reasons I'm not on JSA is because of these dreaded interviews and group sessions. I've heard so many bad experiences with the employees at the Job Centre; they sound horrendous. I'm not really keen on 'scrounging' benefits anyway so I'm just happy to look for a job myself.
Reply 22
Haven't read the thread so probably already been answered but if you're talking about the 'back to work' sessions, they are compulsory, so you'd have to have a good excuse not to go and even then they'd probably arrange you another one. You just sit around for about an hour listening to one or two people talking about how to find a job basically.
Come on, anyone can get a job if they look properly for a couple of months.
When I didn't go they didn't say anything. :dontknow:
Reply 25
nojoegohome

People are getting fired... Not hired. Not sure which century you live in, but I doubt what you say is true.
Reply 26
CB91
When I didn't go they didn't say anything. :dontknow:

When was this? Was it recently or a few months ago? If it was recently, did they tell you to go to another location for the meet, or was it in the same JC?
Reply 27
Mrvn
People are getting fired... Not hired. Not sure which century you live in, but I doubt what you say is true.

Mrvn
When was this? Was it recently or a few months ago? If it was recently, did they tell you to go to another location for the meet, or was it in the same JC?

It was around October time and it was the same place but a different entrance. I didn't turn up and they haven't said anything since.
Reply 29
Quady

Ahaha... Yeah... Thanks for the laugh. :wink:
nojoegohome

Hopefully that was a joke, if it wasn't then it was inconsiderate and ill-informed. I'm from the West Midlands, the hardest area to find a job in the UK, so tell me...after being on for the last 5 months, doing at least three things a week (usually more), which results in at least 60 job applications, am I looking properly or am I just scrounging?
CrookedLegs
Hopefully that was a joke, if it wasn't then it was inconsiderate and ill-informed. I'm from the West Midlands, the hardest area to find a job in the UK, so tell me...after being on for the last 5 months, doing at least three things a week (usually more), which results in at least 60 job applications, am I looking properly or am I just scrounging?

I have recently got a great job at an Internet company part time, if you are good enough to get a job you will get one.

The theory goes that the best people are already employed.
Reply 32
CrookedLegs

How about looking for a job outside the West Midlands then?

Just a thought.
Quady
How about looking for a job outside the West Midlands then?

Just a thought.

At 18 without a car, getting a job outside the West Midlands is almost impossible as it would mean travel upwards of two hours there and back.
Reply 34
CrookedLegs
At 18 without a car, getting a job outside the West Midlands is almost impossible as it would mean travel upwards of two hours there and back.

Yeah, I meant move house.
nojoegohome
I have recently got a great job at an Internet company part time, if you are good enough to get a job you will get one.

The theory goes that the best people are already employed.

I've got a job writing articles for a website but it doesn't pay, the if you are good enough you will get a job idea is absolutely ridiculous at my age (18), I'm not going to get a career job, I'm looking for work in retail or an office for a year before uni, it's more about the lack of jobs.
Quady
Yeah, I meant move house.

What so I should leave my home for eight months before university, find a job, hope that that job is enough for me to be able to afford rent? Right.
CrookedLegs
What so I should leave my home for eight months before university, find a job, hope that that job is enough for me to be able to afford rent? Right.

Have you looked at the job centre website? because i see loads of jobs in the west midlands.

Maybe if you apply for a couple you may actually get one.

And having no experience is not an impossible obstacle, i did not have any, not even retail.
Well good for those of you who have been hired. I graduated in 2009 and I'm still at my part time retail job. I hate it when people claim it's that easy to find a job, well sure, it is possible to find jobs, but to be hired, or even get an interview, or even hear back from some of these companies, it is by no means easy and if it was that easy, many people including myself would already be hired by now.
Reply 39
These job centres need to be nuked.

Quick Reply

Latest