Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

18-25 year olds job centre group sessions - anyone here been? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nojoegohome)
    Have you looked at the job centre website? because i see loads of jobs in the west midlands.

Maybe if you apply for a couple you may actually get one.

And having no experience is not an impossible obstacle, i did not have any, not even retail.
    Of course I've looked at the job centre website you numpty, every day in the attempt to find a job. You may see loads of jobs on there but many of them have been taken as they leave them on there even after the job has been taken, you're also forgetting that for every job (this is what I was told at my last meeting), there are 18 applicants in the area and fields I'm looking at, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Clearly you haven't been on JSA because if you had, you would know that to get the money, you have to apply for at least three jobs a week as a minimum; I've been on it since early October and still haven't found one. It's not through a lack of effort on my behalf, I'm just being incredibly unlucky at the moment; I've got good GCSE's and very good A-Level's, I've had various amounts of experience in different mediums of work so it's not a problem with my C.V, it's a problem with the scarcity of jobs.

When did I mention that experience was an impossible obstacle? Perhaps you should get off your high horse and realise that, despite what the news and Labour say, there are still millions unemployed and jobs are still extremely hard to find as the market for potential employees is even more frantic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    Of course I've looked at the job centre website you numpty, every day in the attempt to find a job. You may see loads of jobs on there but many of them have been taken as they leave them on there even after the job has been taken, you're also forgetting that for every job (this is what I was told at my last meeting), there are 18 applicants in the area and fields I'm looking at, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Clearly you haven't been on JSA because if you had, you would know that to get the money, you have to apply for at least three jobs a week as a minimum; I've been on it since early October and still haven't found one. It's not through a lack of effort on my behalf, I'm just being incredibly unlucky at the moment; I've got good GCSE's and very good A-Level's, I've had various amounts of experience in different mediums of work so it's not a problem with my C.V, it's a problem with the scarcity of jobs.

When did I mention that experience was an impossible obstacle? Perhaps you should get off your high horse and realise that, despite what the news and Labour say, there are still millions unemployed and jobs are still extremely hard to find as the market for potential employees is even more frantic.
    18 applicants per job, you are lucky!!

The job i do had over 100 applicants, i applied for another job with almost 600 applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nojoegohome)
    18 applicants per job, you are lucky!!

The job i do had over 100 applicants, i applied for another job with almost 600 applicants.
    I was being sarcastic, 18 is an average so there will still be jobs with hundreds; I applied to a hotel near me three weeks ago and was told that there had been about 400 applications handed in in a week. It's still very competitive and some people just get lucky. I think you're being unfair saying that maybe if I looked for a job I'd find one and that you're not really considering the difficulties that are occuring.

ReputationRep:
    gov doesn't want there to be full employment, that's the sad truth. What they'd rather not happen is people staying on state benefits for years and years.

as for unemployment , at any one time they want a large section of the work pool to be out of work to make capitalism work and keep inflation down

That's why these companies get away with paying a pitance to its workers for long hours. The workers have very little option but to accept. There's always someone else they can exploit who is desperate enough for the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    These job centres need to be nuked.
    Wanna be a dream team and do it together? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terminator 2)
    gov doesn't want there to be full employment, that's the sad truth. What they'd rather not happen is people staying on state benefits for years and years.

as for unemployment , at any one time they want a large section of the work pool to be out of work to make capitalism work and keep inflation down

That's why these companies get away with paying a pitance to its workers for long hours. The workers have very little option but to accept. There's always someone else they can exploit who is desperate enough for the money.
    Thats pretty poor analysis IMHO.

The Gov has a resource pool larger than the UK. If the UK has nobody out of work but has job vacancies then people from the EU are avaliable to fill the void.

The Gov doesn't want inflation that doesn't keep up with earnings, if earnings rise 10% and inflation 5% it would be quite happy. With a restricted labour market (which we don't have for the reason in para 1) inflation would increase but since the pound would strengthen the cost of imports would decrease. If we didn't subscribe to free trade you'd be right, but we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Thats pretty poor analysis IMHO.

The Gov has a resource pool larger than the UK. If the UK has nobody out of work but has job vacancies then people from the EU are avaliable to fill the void.

The Gov doesn't want inflation that doesn't keep up with earnings, if earnings rise 10% and inflation 5% it would be quite happy. With a restricted labour market (which we don't have for the reason in para 1) inflation would increase but since the pound would strengthen the cost of imports would decrease. If we didn't subscribe to free trade you'd be right, but we do.

So when do you see a time when the UK has "nobody out of work" then? It will never happend in my view.

just before this recession The UK had many years economic growth and there was still a significant proportion unemployed. This wasn't mentioned much during the "boom" years.
    There was also mass imigration despite there being unemployment.

if you have 1 million people unemployed(which was was the case during the boom years when brown was chancellor) and you allow mass imigration, which was anything from 2million. It's obvious you don't want full employment.

You want to create a cilmate where there's more workers than there are jobs, which obviously benefits some people in the minority.

ReputationRep:
    So when do you see a time when the UK has "nobody out of work" then? It will never happend in my view.

just before this recession The UK had many years economic growth and there was still a significant proportion unemployed. This wasn't mentioned much during the "boom" years.
    There was also mass imigration despite there being unemployment.
    Actually there was a lot of comentary about in it the boom years since it was the lowest level of unemployment for over 30 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7140069.stm

You make it sound as if the labour market is static, whereas people become unemployed then get employment. The only way to get rid of unemployment is to have jobs for life and companies to remain solvent. Whereas people got made redundant as their jobs went to indian call centres but within a few weeks those people got jobs in Tesco (as an example).

Immigrants did jobs people in the UK didn't want to do for the money on offer (as they could wait a couple of weeks for Tesco to offer them something better).
    Thats why there will never be zero unemployment.

ReputationRep:
    if you have 1 million people unemployed(which was was the case during the boom years when brown was chancellor) and you allow mass imigration, which was anything from 2million. It's obvious you don't want full employment.

You want to create a cilmate where there's more workers than there are jobs, which obviously benefits some people in the minority.
    Well 800k is 20% less than 1 million...

So how do you design a system where people can never be unemployed?

ie
    If I am laid off today (pretend its the boom times) how do you ensure I don't sign on tomorrow?

90% of startup business fail within three years, even in boom times.

ReputationRep:
    am lost how much to u get money from jobcenter a wwk

ReputationRep:
    how much money do u get a week single

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malik54321)
    how much money do u get a week single
    £257

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicalBest)
    £257
    Not in 2010 you didnt...

ReputationRep:
    If I miss this appointment does my money get stopped?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleighjones18)
    If I miss this appointment does my money get stopped?
    Just go, it's really not worth the hassle and may be surprisingly helpful. The woman running my session last week had contacts all over the place from 30 years working in HR.

ReputationRep:
    did u go to this job group session then or did u end up going because i have one this friday and im not really up to going i have social anxiety and i am really nervous and wonder if u skip it and if u did
    did u loss ur money for it
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by kelly georgina)
    did u go to this job group session then or did u end up going because i have one this friday and im not really up to going i have social anxiety and i am really nervous and wonder if u skip it and if u did
    did u loss ur money for it
    Hi, this is quite an old thread so you may have been better starting a new one, but you do really need to go to thise sessions. In mine, all we had to do was nod a couple of times and watch a short presentation. Literally all we did was sit and watch. We got a couple of sheets with some opportunities on them and that was it. If you don't go, you will be sanctioned. As part of the agreement, you have to go to these things when they tell you to. Honestly, it's fine. Don't work yourself up about it and you'll be okay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i have work from home places available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    I'm just curious what type of session it will be. I mean, is it something stupid where you all sit around and they talk to you or... tell you how to fill out a C.V etc etc?
    yeah thats pretty much what it will be

they just need to make it seem like they are actually doing something helpful for the unemployed therefore they don't really care if the people there are paying attention or not, so long as they attend. then you can say 'yeah i attended those sessions' and the guy working there can say 'yeah i taught those sessions'. its mostly pointless but the JC does it to make the JC seem relevant. even though realistically most people just go to the JC to sign on...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.