Turn on thread page Beta

Is 'emotional cheating' worse? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was reading a magazine the other day and there was one of them 'things you didn't know about men' pages. One guy said that he thought that finding out his girlfriend was 'emotionally cheating' would be worse then finding out she had actually cheated. He defined emotional cheating as dirty texts or emails. Personally, that wouldn't be my definition but that's what he meant!

What do you think? Would you be more hurt to find out your boyfriend/girlfriend had actually cheated, or that they where texting someone else dirty things??

ReputationRep:
    This is an interesting thing to consider and highlights how arbitrary and, frankly, ridiculous are the things that we will not tolerate other people doing. Or, more importantly, the things that we tell ourselves we are going to feel awful about when they happen.

How queer you humans all are.

ReputationRep:
    hmm..both would hurt...but texting/emailing something and actually doing it are different...big step in between talkign about it and doing something physical...
    so i think them actually cheating would hurt more..only slightly....

ReputationRep:
    Texting/ emailing someone they knew would be worse then a one night stand with someone they didn't know imo. People make mistakes based on lust which I could understand, not that I would be ok with it obviously. It's when it's more calculated that it turns really nasty.

ReputationRep:
    i believe they hurt on the same level.

i woudnt say cheating emoctionaly is a softer blow then doing it for real, they would both crush me just as bad.

I knew a girl who emoctionaly cheated with a boy who was taken, i coudnt believe it....she knew he had a gf but she fancied him so she coudnt resist talking bout what they would do to eachother... but sence soon kicked in and she stoped. i felt anoryed bout her but i felt sorry for his gf coz i bet she will never know what he sed to my girl m8, and she might have been 1 of many girls he talked dirty to...

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was weird that someone thought that a text would be worse than actually cheating but then I thought about it (no idea why!)
    I think I'd be more hurt to find out my boyfriend had taken another girl out or something then if he'd say drunkenly done something on a night out!

I guess people have different views on what cheating is though!

ReputationRep:
    I WOULD BE HURT EITHER WAY.
    If she didn't find our bond special or didn't tell me about it so I could change for her or vice versa, and just decided to go for someone else and dump her attention on someone else, then I'd be annoyed.

And if she didn't change, I'd dump her.

ReputationRep:
    both would hurt the same, it will depend on each individual as to whether it would hurt them and how much, people have different views of what emotional cheating and cheating is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Texting/ emailing someone they knew would be worse then a one night stand with someone they didn't know imo. People make mistakes based on lust which I could understand, not that I would be ok with it obviously. It's when it's more calculated that it turns really nasty.
    This.

I think when it's thought out and lasts a while, it's gotta hurt more than some random night thing. Thankfully it's never happened to me so I can't really know, but I can tell it would hurt me more. I've also been the "other" one, someone developed feelings for me while they were with someone else, and that's not especially nice to know in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    both just as bad IMO and both dumpable offences

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.