Turn on thread page Beta

i went to the hospital today and i was told that i was at the very low end of healthy.

but i don't see that. i see myself right at the high end. intelligence tells me i'm not obese, but i still feel fat. places on my body disgust me - thighs, stomach, legs.

i feel bigger than most people I hang around with.

but i can't bear to feel this way. it drives me to the edge. i'm not about to jump off - im to scared to actually kill myself, but i constantly feel that i'm not really living for much.

please don't post back to tell me to count my blessings. i do every day. i know i am a fortunate person and i know my suffering is minute compared to millions'.
    but this is how i feel.. please help me, in some way although i have no idea how..

ReputationRep:
    :console:

:doctor:

Maybe see about getting counselling, either on the nhs or at your school/uni.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: it's hard to know what to say because often what anyone else says can't/won't make any difference, but i can relate.

what i will say is that with eating disorders of any type, there's always an underlying root cause to it. i know that's pretty obvious but it takes a lot of people a long time to face up to it, and it's only once you start to deal with it that you can actually make any progress towards feeling/getting better.

this might sound silly but do you want to get better/beat it? because you have to really, really want it in order to get anywhere. if you do then reach out to as many people as you can - can you talk to family/friends etc.? have you been offered any therapy? the thought might seem horrible but it can really help.

good luck and feel free to PM me if you ever need a chat/advice.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You can get through it, but it sounds like you need support. See your doctor about counselling and see if there are any eating disorder groups in your area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i went to the hospital today and i was told that i was at the very low end of healthy.

but i don't see that. i see myself right at the high end. intelligence tells me i'm not obese, but i still feel fat. places on my body disgust me - thighs, stomach, legs.

but i can't bear to feel this way. it drives me to the edge. i'm not about to jump off - im to scared to actually kill myself, but i constantly feel that i'm not really living for much.

please don't post back to tell me to count my blessings. i do every day. i know i am a fortunate person and i know my suffering is minute compared to millions'.
    but this is how i feel.. please help me, in some way although i have no idea how..
    i was bulimic for 3 yrs, and in the end i could feel my self die literally, could feel my heart beat lower at times and black outs were common. my skin tone had a dead look, like a sick person, and i dint have the guts to tell my mum about it. i used to cry every night coz of the disgust i had for myself; then i figured i really wanted to live and approached my mum about it. she's a doc so she handled it quite well and took me to a shrink. the lady gave me pills, which i took for a yr and now im perfectly fine...

so the question is, do you think this is worth it? you need to realize that being fat or thin isnt the purpose of us being here. who cares if someone thinks your fat(which your not); every person is beautiful in their own way, and you need to cherish what you have, so make a decision, you NEED to get help. you need to stop this, coz bulimia IS self harm, your literally giving shot to suicide,ihave known people who have died because of this. so the sooner you end this, the better

(Original post by raisin.)
    :hugs: it's hard to know what to say because often what anyone else says can't/won't make any difference, but i can relate.

what i will say is that with eating disorders of any type, there's always an underlying root cause to it. i know that's pretty obvious but it takes a lot of people a long time to face up to it, and it's only once you start to deal with it that you can actually make any progress towards feeling/getting better.

this might sound silly but do you want to get better/beat it? because you have to really, really want it in order to get anywhere. if you do then reach out to as many people as you can - can you talk to family/friends etc.? have you been offered any therapy? the thought might seem horrible but it can really help.

good luck and feel free to PM me if you ever need a chat/advice.
    I go to the local mental health unit and i'm an out patient at the eating disorder service. I go to a support group as well.
    My major problem is that i am scared to let anyone tell me what to do. I run away from treatment whenever it gets near to that point.
    i don't seem to be able to progress anywhere.

i want to say thank you to everyone by the way.. i didn't expect to get such a kind response

I know exactly how you feel. I have been struggling with bulimia for a long time now, and this week I finally went to the doctor and got diagnosed. The doctor also said my weight was low for my height, but I can't see it. I still feel chubby.

But I will say that (not wanting to speak to soon though!) going to the doctor has helped as I now have someone to report to which motivates me to stay healthy.

Also this might sound weird but try looking at a photo of yourself. I find that only in photos (sometimes) I can see that I have lost weight, it might help you to see yourself more accurately. Or maybe that's just me! Either way good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I have been struggling with bulimia for four years now. Its difficult and i totally relate to feelings of depression and thinking about killing yourself. if you want someone to talk to about it;pm me for my email addy....

also try www.bulimiahelp.com there is a great community there, my own website below has some great support and my youtube page has all my video blogs that you might relate to?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lilmover

take care, with love xxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.