Turn on thread page Beta

The Leaving Certificate compared to A Levels. Some questions watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd appreciate it if someone could edumacate me on a few things.

It's easy to forget (for me, anyway) that different countries have different exam types and education structures.

In Ireland we have the Leaving Cert - which is an exam (or number or exams) taken at the end of secondary school (6 year period). Then we're off to university, based on how well we did in the Leaving Cert (how many points we got out of 600). So, a course like "English Literature" at a certain university might have an entry requirement of 400 points, and Medicine might be 550, etc)

What's the equivalent in the UK? How do A levels work?
    What about Americans?

And, I might squeeze in a final question: if you're in your early 20s and are applying for a postgrad position, are your Leaving Cert/A level results relevant anymore? (Should they be omitted from your CV?)

ReputationRep:
    I used my leaving cert as an equivalant for gcse's even though they're worth more than them for a post grad btw) they just wanted to now i had passed english, maths and science and the junior cert is worth a small bit less than gcse's cos it's done at a younger age. In a postgrad it's mainly your degree that counts, but put in your lc results too just don't place too much emphasis on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ceeeeej)
    I used my leaving cert as an equivalant for gcse's even though they're worth more than them for a post grad btw) they just wanted to now i had passed english, maths and science and the junior cert is worth a small bit less than gcse's cos it's done at a younger age. In a postgrad it's mainly your degree that counts, but put in your lc results too just don't place too much emphasis on them.
    Thanks.

I'm gonna bump this thread - couple more questions in my OP unanswered.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.