Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you consider University life better than college? watch

ReputationRep:
    ............in the title^^

I personally think that life in general will be worst. I'm talking about student life not classes. I expect a huge workload, daily late hours and fewer if any free time. Being tight on budget, eating value #### and drinking cheap value liquor.

How's that better than college?

Edit: Oh so it's about independence. Luckily for me, I'm allowed to mess my life as much as I want at my College. No restrictions other than the State law.

ReputationRep:
    Treated more like adults and more freeedom. This wasn't the case in my 6th form it was so ****! We wern't even allowed to go out for lunch, absolutely ridicolous.

ReputationRep:
    None of those expectations you've listed really hold true for me, at all. My workload is heavier, but I'm in university a lot less than I ever was in school, so I have a lot more time to do it. I drink cheap spirits, but there's nothing wrong with that, and it's nothing I didn't do in sixth form anyway. The 'daily late nights' thing is sort of true, but that's just from staying up with my housemates lolling around or going out.

My life at university is far better than school. We were talking about this in the house today. I loved school, but I don't miss it and would never want to go back because life here is so much fun. Even now, in the middle of exam period, when I have been back but not out for two weeks and I'm under piles of stress - I wouldn't swap it for A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing about university for me is being away from home and being able to do whatever I like. Cooking and cleaning don't bother me, and I've always been sensible with money. Also, my college was awful so I couldn't wait to leave. The workload at uni isn't that bad and the 1st year doesn't even count.

ReputationRep:
    For me its the opposite, I'd hate to be back there but I miss school, as we all knew each other better and where from the same background, so I miss the unity of that. It was also a part of your life for 5 - 7 years, so it is very heavy in memories. Though the lack of freedom at school is not something I miss.

ReputationRep:
    more boobs (on display/available)

ReputationRep:
    There are pros/cons to both. I remember college being stressful, as everything you are doing there is working up to getting into uni. Once you are at uni, there is a sense of relief for getting there. There are less hours in a classroom and definitely more freedom. You gain an independence at university, which you don't at college.

ReputationRep:
    One word: Independence.

I might eat **** food and have a rubbish flat but I payed for the food and it's my flat. I can do what I like, when I like, how I like. It's 100% better than being in college. Plus I have sooooo much free time.

ReputationRep:
    mate uni is sooooooooo much better! There is more freedom here than I got in sixth form.. I'm sensible with my money,. hang out with my mates and am having the best time of my life. I'm really getting to know myself and i am putting myself out there. Also you get to be so much more independent at uni which I love!

ReputationRep:
    Uni life is SO much better than college life! I've made some of the best friends I've ever had, money is never an issue even living in central london, the independence is amazing, great nightlife, living in halls is incredible... It doesn't even compare tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'm gonna say that college social life was better. I haven't really got a social life at uni because in any free time I'm always going back home to see my friends (who arent students or have already graduated), my family and my boyfriend...so I've kind of missed out on a lot of the bonding that seems to occur with freshers. I had a massive group of close friends at college but most of them have gone their seperate ways now 3 years on. I suppose I'm not much of a clubber anyway, I did it all when I was 18-20 and soon got tired of it. If I went out with people on my course now I'd be the only 21 year old sitting around watching loads of 18 year olds mix drinks for 12 hours straight for the first time...*shudder*. Oh, and I am sooo poor now as well. I hate it.

ReputationRep:
    The independence is deffinately the main thing for me. I love being responsible for myself (love doing my own shopping and cooking for myself.) And not all student are forever broke. Yes I find myself having to budget a lot more, but I still eat well (some value stuff is actually really good!)
    As for the workload, I'm in lectures for a lot less time compared to when I was doing A Levels. The exams I just did were generally less stressfull I found, and the workload is completely manageable.
    Social life... it's different to how it was back home, but that's not a bad thing. I still go out, I still have really good friends, and it's a lot easier to just hang out with mates. When I was living it home, my family was always around, being loud and annoying.

So yeah, to conclude, uni life = much better than college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBOON)

Edit: Oh so it's about independence. Luckily for me, I'm allowed to mess my life as much as I want at my College. No restrictions other than the State law.
    It's not just independence in terms of being able to do whatever you want, although that is great. It's also looking after yourself, living independently from your parents and without any pastoral care.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.