Turn on thread page Beta

My boyfriend of two years has gone away for 7 months travelling. Before he went we had our last night and morning together and a tearful goodbye.

But the evening I stayed over, he awkwardly gave me this speech about how he 'doesn't want to hold me back' while he's away, that he feels selfish, that I should still 'go out and enjoy myself' and that he doesn't need to know about it and I am 'renounced of any guilt'.

Basically, he was trying to tell me he doesn't want me to feel bad if I cheat while he's away, at some points he even seemed to be encouraging it. At the same time, I could tell he didn't really want to be saying these things (he's usually very protective of me, sometimes to the extent of being a bit clingy), but he said he felt he had to.

Now, of course, I reacted by saying that it was silly and weird and changed the topic. I have never cheated, I love him very much, and he loves me. We are each other's first loves.

However, he's been gone for about a month now, and, tbh, I'm thinking about it, and that simultaneously makes me feel absolutely awful but also slightly excited at the prospect.

I've not really been with any other guy apart from him, and sometimes wonder if I'm missing out on young adult life. My friends have boyfriends for a few months, or are just single and have flings. Basically, I'm wondering whether to use this 'opportunity' or not.

I know I'd feel so guilty, but the curiosity is so strong. There are boys that I know who I think are sweet, and then I think about what being with them would be like and I'm interested, but then I think of my boyfriend and I miss him and feel bad.

Massive ramble, but what would you do in this situation?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.